Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car won't start after filling tank HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Car won't start after filling tank HELP!!

So i've been trying to chase a problem with my car for sometime now Some information about the car its a 94 Integra LS, car smells really rich along with a juttering idle but it stays within 400-600, you cant really see the idle fluctuate on the rpm gauge but you can feel the hesitation/sputtering, no smoke in the exhaust but you can hear the sputtering from the tail pipe.. So getting to the point, driving the car it hesitates a little around 2-2.5rpm in 2nd gear and car shakes a little. But as well the car will start with no problems until i fill the tank. Today i started the car and warmed it up to operating temperature on a 1/4 tank of gas, i drove it to the gas station/Turned it off/ filled the tank/ turned it back on and it starts then hits 1k rpm on start up, then just drops rpm and dies Happens everytime i fill up car , When i start the car with full open throttle, i hold till 4k rpm then take my foot of the pedal, the car will go back to the 4-6rpm, but will not die, Still with the sputtering between 400-600rpm. I have checked compression it is fine and within its proper range, i have replaced the fuel filter/regulator/evap canister + canister solenoid along with the solenoid on the intake manifold as well, also i have replaced the fuel pump with a new one. After driving the car will a full tank and then turning it off and then on 1min later trying to start it again, the fuel pump does not sound sometimes it will and then sometimes it wont, I thought this problem may have been the cause of a vacuum issue with the evap canister. But this is just giving me one big *** headache, I have checked tdc and everything seems to be fine and within range. I have lacked to swap the catalytic converter or do a valve lash, full tune up including rotor and cap have been replaced as well. i am stuck on this issue.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start after filling tank HELP!!

anyone?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Trial User

TPS..... Throttle Position Sensor. Is check engine light on?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check engine light is not on, which is really throwing me off
Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unplug ecu, and disconnect battery for a couple mins. Try that, will reset the ecu. If problem still occurs, try to recalibrate the TPS.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

reset the ecu and battery, still no change, going to check and I'll attempt to recalibrate the tps later on
Old 04-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's not your TPS, check your fuel system (fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, etc..)
Old 04-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iloveyourhonda92
. After driving the car will a full tank and then turning it off and then on 1min later trying to start it again, the fuel pump does not sound sometimes it will and then sometimes it wont, .
The above statement seems like it can be your Main Fuel Relay (MFR). Its a common problem on Gen 2. Not sure if its the same on your gen3. And its not an expensive fix if you buy the part in Arizona. Hondapartsunlimited.com. Hope this helps
Old 04-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I may have to try the main relay as I am getting desperate, just seems weird that it doesn't act up until the car is at operating temperature and the fuel tank is filled all the way, and the rough idle
Old 04-06-2015, 06:25 AM
Trial User

I may have to try the main relay as I am getting desperate, just seems weird that it doesn't act up until the car is at operating temperature and the fuel tank is filled all the way, and the rough idle
Yeah, could be the main relay. It used to happened to me too when I would fill up my integra at the gas station then crank the motor and it won't fire. Pretty embarrassing, but a couple of pounding underneath the driver side dashboard fixed it right up.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

lol pounding might work in a pinch but you gotta solder or buy the mitsuba main relay.

Main Relay Fix, Troubleshooting (Honda, Acura) and how to solder
Old 04-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replaced the main relay, filled the tank and the car started right up, I'll have to do it a couple more times but seems like it worked, I thought it was suspect but just didn't understand why it only happened when I filled up, thanks guys for the help.. as for the shitty idle it may be something else lol
Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

replaced the main relay, filled the tank and the car started right up, I'll have to do it a couple more times but seems like it worked, I thought it was suspect but just didn't understand why it only happened when I filled up, thanks guys for the help.. as for the shitty idle it may be something else lol

Wow that was pretty fast that you bought the relay. Did you buy it online one day shipping? For the shitty idle, try cleaning your throttle body or your fast idle valve solenoid. Not expensive either.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good you got that problem fixed! The shitty idle is probably being caused by a vac leak, I would start off cleaning your throttle body and replacing the gasket to fix the issue.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got it from oreillys, I decided to just buy a new one, I actually work there so I got it for like 30 bucks, not to bad I believe it has a lifetime warranty too, going to buy a tb gasket from acura on Thursday and clean it along with the fast idle, I recently just traded my eg for this teg so I've been chasing the problems that this guy pawned on me, that I didn't really notice when we traded, then **** started going south lol, car smells super rich though, would a vacuum leak or dirty tb cause this?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got it from oreillys, I decided to just buy a new one, I actually work there so I got it for like 30 bucks, not to bad I believe it has a lifetime warranty too, going to buy a tb gasket from acura on Thursday and clean it along with the fast idle, I recently just traded my eg for this teg so I've been chasing the problems that this guy pawned on me, that I didn't really notice when we traded, then **** started going south lol, car smells super rich though, would a vacuum leak or dirty tb cause this?
cause the rich smell? like as in sweet? no it shouldn't, all a vac leak really does is cause rough/low idle and occasionally your car might judder a good amount. There are ways to troubleshoot the smells you encounter in your car I'm pretty sure, if you smell something sweet burning then it's transmission fluid etc - this should better explain: 8 Ways to Diagnose Car Smells - wikiHow (this is a bit derpy, but it will at least give you some sort of idea)

The Vac leak of course however minimal it may be at the moment might lead to other problems over time though.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info and no not a sweet smell, just really rich In fuel type smell,
Old 04-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Trial User

It is your purge valve malfuntioning . It is staying open. It is an inexpensive part. Just replace this and your car will start fine after you gas up.

82 accord
91 passat
91 civic
99 civic
04 corolla
06 matrix