Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car runs with key out, now will not start

and more. car is a 97 GSR OBDII. install includes:

J&S Safeguard
JR BTC
JRSC
Bosch fuel pump
50k miles

car was parked a few months. started up today. after coming to destination, key taken out of ignition, car kept running (and smoothly). had to siconnect J&S plug to get car to stop running. now car will not start. bypassed J&S, still will not spark. checked #1 sparkplug to see if there was any arcing after removing it and grounding it ... no spark. any ideas? bad ecu?? thanks!!

Modified by vactor at 10:30 PM 8/17/2003
Old 08-17-2003, 05:35 PM

Default Re: car runs with key out (vactor)

i have the same thing with my moms mini van. 93 mercury villager. its funny.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:40 PM
New User

Default Re: car runs with key out (mugensport9)

same here in my 89 camry. it locks tho. if you use the key and leave it at acc. you can take the key out ( jus slide/pull it out)
and turn the ignition with anything that will fit in and starto. hella funny, sometimes convenient, leave the car running
on a hot day with ac on and lock the door from outside. i liked it, but no more camry.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i appreciate anecdotes guys, but i am really looking for a fix. and especially a fix fo the CAR NOT RUNNING ANYMORE!!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 06:13 PM

Default Re: (vactor)

yep same with all those camery's that's why they are the most stolen cars
Old 08-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiroHatch)

anyone have a solution of what is wrong with the car and how to get it running? would the ECU just go bad after not running for a while??? come on, solutions, not freaking anecdotes to freaking camrys and minifreakingvans
Old 08-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Nikon!!!

might want to check your tumbler.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thaiphob)

godammit, it is the fact that the goddamn car will not ******* start ebcause there is NO GODDAMN SPARK!! man, any solutions to the car not running?? tumbler and all that **** is fine. the fact that i get no ******* spark is the ******* problem. jeesus!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: car runs with key out (mugensport9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugensport9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same thing with my moms mini van. 93 mercury villager. its funny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thought i was the only one , same thing with my moms 92 taurus station wagon
Old 08-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car runs with key out (CivicSiR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thought i was the only one , same thing with my moms 92 taurus station wagon </TD></TR></TABLE>
so you are telling me that your mom's taurus was parked for a few months, then started up right away, then when you next oparked it, took the key out and could not get the car to stop, so you pulled the J&S plug, then plugged the J&S back in, andn now the taurus won't start and there is no spark at the sparkplug? amazing!! tell me more!!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Formerly of SF moved to DFW and now back in SF, CA, USA
Default Re: car runs with key out (vactor)

Check the ignitor and work your way back. If you aren't getting spark, you'd think it has to do with the distributor. Also, check all the fuses. With it sitting for a while, it may have sent a (for lack of a better word) shock through the system and blew a fuse somewhere.

Also, check the J&S wiring. Look for bad connections and so on.

Good luck! I know for me electrical stuff is a huge pain to diagnose!!

BTW, one day at band camp, my mom's Taurus... J/K!!

Modified by Gee3 at 10:20 AM 8/18/2003
Old 08-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Nikon!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vactor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">godammit, it is the fact that the goddamn car will not ******* start ebcause there is NO GODDAMN SPARK!! man, any solutions to the car not running?? tumbler and all that **** is fine. the fact that i get no ******* spark is the ******* problem. jeesus!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you need to calm the hell down. it was just a suggestion you *****. take your thong off b/c its bugging the hell outta you and clouding your judgement.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:17 PM

My freinds chevy truck does same thing.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thaiphob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thaiphob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you need to calm the hell down. it was just a suggestion you *****. take your thong off b/c its bugging the hell outta you and clouding your judgement. </TD></TR></TABLE>
what was just a suggestion? to check the tumbler if it had an effect on spark? you must be kidding me. m,ost of the people replying did not even bother to read my post. that wastes my time as well as anyone else who has serious input as it detracts from the problem. then you have the nerve to call me a *****?
Old 08-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PTownGSR)

well heres a thought, try replacing the ignition, if it kept running with the key out, something is messed up with the ignition anyways.... Its probably crapped out, not sure how you would replace it though..
Old 08-18-2003, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (toolowsol)

hey vactor, fix it yourself if you don't want our suggestions, dumb ***.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:39 AM
Trial User

Actual Vactor posted this for me. And 90% of the replys were dumb, they didnt read the first post, and then this became a big "me to" post. I had a saturn where you could wiggle the key out, this is NOT the same. This has the steering column locked, radio turns off, car thinks it is shut off, but the engine continued to run!! So i yanked the J&S plug and it shut off.

I am starting to think it might be the ECU since people would knock out the J&S plug all the time till I moved it, whihc could have strained the ignition portion of the ECU. The distrubitor and rotor were first on the list though, cuz they are the easiest to get out I know plug wires and plugs dont all go bad in unison, so i have taken them off the list.

Thank you Gee3 and toolowsol for your ideas, CONSTRUCTIVE help is appreciated, "me too" replies are useless.

So no one with a teg has had this issue? Any ideas on my differential diagnosis?
Old 08-18-2003, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (SteveW)

Sorry to throw my $.02 in, but this is kind of a "me too" with some similar issues.

As suggested earlier by another member. The ignition switch in the colum went bad on my 92 Teg and the whole care acted crazy. This blew out several fuses through out the car. The strange thing is I had some of the same ideas you did about "no spark", but my starter wouldn't crank all the time. Intermittent signal from the bad switch would let the starter crank for 1-2 sec then cut off. You didn't mention if the starter is turning. I assume it is if you are checking for spark. Even if your starter is turning you can still have a bad switch or ecu.

You also didn't mention if anything else works..... IE lights, radio, a/c etc..... While lights will work with out the ignition switch turnned, stuff like the radio and a/c will not . This is a cheep diagnostics attempt. I had to have the dealer run down all the burnt out s@#t in my system. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Wraith_G2IC)

Ingition switch has 3 circuits. One for acc. one for ignition & injection & stuff like that. Third for starter. It's possible that the ignition circuit stays closed when you turn the switch off. If the accessories turn off, that doesn't prove anything, because it's a different circuit.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:47 AM

Default Re: (JimBlake)

That is probably true. I don't claim to know the full ignition set of from the factory. These were just some of the questions the mechanic at the dealer asked me while I was talking to him on the phone when it died. Sorry if it doesn't help. Like I said, I couldn't even come close to finding all the problems. I had to let them do it.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:34 PM

DO you remember that movie Uncle Buck how his car dieseled until it made a big POOOW...... Sorta the same thing I guess.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (Wraith_G2IC)

cranks over fine, starter is good, it has no blown fuses, checked all of them.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Trial User

Hmm, ok but it started fine yesterday, its been starting fine. It wouldnt shut off. It actually had this same hickup last week, but it shut off after 5 sec. Thsi time it was fully running, could rev it, it was smooth not like it was misfiring or like it was firing on 1-3 less cylinders. Now it will not spark, but i can turn it to start and it turns over, just doesnt fire up. Fuel pressure guage is fine as well, the pressures are normal so I doubt that all 4 injectors clogged at once either.

I am starting to think its ECU, gonna need to swap in a similar ECU to see if it runs, and then buy a used one from a junker.

This isnt totally like uncle buck, that was carburated and cars of that day did that often when they were out of tune, this shouldnt happen with the advent of ECU controlled EFI. But this car is proving that statement wrong

Thanks again for more ideas. But anyone else starting to agree I am SOL and its the ECU??
Old 08-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Trial User

well same thing happened to me when my alternator was going out on my last car.. kinda strange.. not sure if that could be in play here... otherwise ignition parts might need to be replaced
Old 08-18-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: car runs with key out (CivicSiR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thought i was the only one , same thing with my moms 92 taurus station wagon </TD></TR></TABLE>

probably something wrong with the early 90s ford/mecrury ignitions