Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

CA State Ref Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CA State Ref Ticket

Originally Posted by purv1s
i could get into some trouble by not having the timing covers, and after market steering wheel ?
Timing covers need to be there, it's a safety thing just like the steering wheel with air bag. They can turn you away and tell you to get that fixed before they even test and pass your car.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dayvid05
Your statement is incorrect.

I was hit with a ref. ticket a yr. ago because of my non carb legal intake and since I'm running motor I wasn't supposed to you can pay the bailout fine and NOT have to see the ref. and get it over with.
Damn forreals? Never knew that, thanks. A friend of mines had a B20V in his LS and the cops just said it was an illegal mod and said he had to go see the ref. Lucky for him he didn't sell his B18A1 and all the parts for it so it was all good.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just pay the fine and get it over with. no need to go the ref if your car is not smog legal. my friend just got a state ref ticket about 2 months ago for his intercooler pipings and it was about 600 bucks. all he did was pay the fine but in payment method(you can do it in payments just ask the clerk)
Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been to the ref to ref in 3-5 engines already; here in SD. Get yourself a LS head and correct Manifold to what OBD your car falls under and cat take anything off that is not carb legal........
Your exhaust can be reffed in;I can bet your exhaust is no more then 93 decibel plus not many ref stations have a Meter for it.. I had all my exhaust ref in by the ref cause there's no way a cop can say it's too loud cause his pig ears hears things differently, so most ref's will not care how loud it is as long as you have a carb header, cat, intake and all your emissions.
You can ref in a B20 engine but not B20V so return the B20 back to stock with a LS mani and anything that has to do with that year OBD. Don't sweat it bud, it'll cost you less in the long run to do what I stated then trying to change your motor.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, sorry to hear about this man, but from what i've heard its either 2 things

1.Just Pay for the Ticket
or
2.Try to return to stock all the parts that the Ref wrote on the ticket

Hope it Helps man and good luck
Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dayvid05
Your statement is incorrect.

I was hit with a ref. ticket a yr. ago because of my non carb legal intake and since I'm running motor I wasn't supposed to you can pay the bailout fine and NOT have to see the ref. and get it over with.

I opted to contest my citation through written declaration and thankfully the judged ruled in my favor because you have to pay the bailout fine upfront if you decide to contest through written declaration. Since I proved my case I got reimbursed. If found guilty the court keeps your money and you move on. Just hope you don't get popped again because you will be in the same boat again.
ok i'd rather pay the bailout fine , the cop placed a sticker on my car stating that i have to take it to the ref , when i pay the fine... do i remove this sticker myself ? damn sorry for sounding super noobish . whats did you write to the judge if you dont mind me asking . BTW honda-tech is the shiznits !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

I had a detachable steering wheel on my ej and the ref didn't say anything about it.
The Sheriff where I live has a 'Street Racing' Division, and they know there ****.
He new my motor was jdm, knew my Intake was installed 'incorrectly', anddd, exhaust noise. :/ took me like 2 months to get my car to pass ref. And the ticket was $900 if i didnt get it written off.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i'd rather pay the bailout fine , the cop placed a sticker on my car stating that i have to take it to the ref , when i pay the fine... do i remove this sticker myself ? damn sorry for sounding super noobish . whats did you write to the judge if you dont mind me asking . BTW honda-tech is the shiznits !!!!!!!!!!!
Once you start/pay the bailout fine your ticket will be cleared. Like someone mentioned earlier, you can also arrange payments with the clerk at the courthouse. As for not being able to drive your car, yeah its true the sticker says that on the back of the ticket but I said **** it, my car is my only transportation. Just don't do anything that'll get a cops attention, but you could get your car impounded if you get caught. Just drive normal and don't drive around late at night and you should be alright.

I just mentioned that I was still cited despite having a carb legal intake. Luckily the cop didn't take a picture of my non carb legal intake. I also borrowed an AEM intake and took pictures of that on my car, submitted my recent smog test results. Because the argument is that your car doesn't pass smog.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actualy just paying the fine will not clear the ticket,,,it will leave it as a pending matter ...ive been to the ref 4times for ref sticker and testing and i just chill there sometimes and ask him questions... one of the stations is at my school...

as for the op just return it to stock or put an ls in it and make sure that all emmisions stuff is there and that the cat that you use is either an OEM one or that it is an OEM replacement since the cat laws have changed..no more universal ones are allowed he will be checking EVERYTHING and he knows more than u think... if u have a aftermarket steering wheel its 50/50 some care some dont the one i go to doesnt...suspension wise the cops will do the inspecting and signing off
Old 06-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn just got a state referee ticket on friday s#!ting bricks dont know what's going to happen so i've been doing some research and found out they are going to check the car in and out . the cop got me for loud muffler and my intake , guys a moron, the car is running a b20v 440cc injectors , aem cam gears , type r mani, aftermarket headers , 5zigen muffler , gsr hondata chipped ecu . will they get me for suspension i have tein "circuit master" .

i have a single cam just laying around you think i can swap that in and take it like that? Can i sell the car ? i dont have money or time to put everything stock back on , need help i am new at all of this so any and all help is greatly appreciated dont want to lose the car i just got the motor rebuilt less than 100 miles on it and it would be a shame to lose .
I got the same thing so what ended up happening? Can u pay it instead?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

They will check everything!!!!! and smog test it till it passes. You can't pay off the reffed tickets iv tried, the misdemeanor fines that are correctable can be payed off with out fixing the fine like exhaust ect.. I had a ported head, sk2 tuner 1 cams that I left in but I had to take of my LHT JRSC, header ect, put the engine 100% back to stock and I had to come back 3 times till my car passed at Miramar reff. I now keep a carb legal intake, DC carb plate welded to my header, a skunk2 pro series carb sticker for my ultra series manifold and last like 6 times I got pulled over the cop couldn't find a reason to fine me I fool them everytime and the last cop actually gave me props for having all the carb stickers lol

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 06-04-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:44 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by teamLegendz_sd
I've been to the ref to ref in 3-5 engines already; here in SD. Get yourself a LS head and correct Manifold to what OBD your car falls under and cat take anything off that is not carb legal........
Your exhaust can be reffed in;I can bet your exhaust is no more then 93 decibel plus not many ref stations have a Meter for it.. I had all my exhaust ref in by the ref cause there's no way a cop can say it's too loud cause his pig ears hears things differently, so most ref's will not care how loud it is as long as you have a carb header, cat, intake and all your emissions.
You can ref in a B20 engine but not B20V so return the B20 back to stock with a LS mani and anything that has to do with that year OBD. Don't sweat it bud, it'll cost you less in the long run to do what I stated then trying to change your motor.
I know it’s been 12 years since this thread but can anyone elaborate on being able to ref the B20? Everywhere I’ve read has said having the b20 in an integra is a no-go as far as state refs and smog tests go. My b18b1 finally died after 215k and without realizing it was illegal I threw a B20 into my teg. But if there was a way to pass if I ever get state reffed or if my smog tech notices, that would be amazing.

Thanks,
Old 06-09-2022, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a B20 in my Integra for 6 years. Never had an issue with visual or emissions. I'm running the stock LS ECU You can BARR them, if you want to go through the trouble, but I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by d.jei
I know it’s been 12 years since this thread but can anyone elaborate on being able to ref the B20? Everywhere I’ve read has said having the b20 in an integra is a no-go as far as state refs and smog tests go. My b18b1 finally died after 215k and without realizing it was illegal I threw a B20 into my teg. But if there was a way to pass if I ever get state reffed or if my smog tech notices, that would be amazing.

Thanks,
You can use the B20 engines, you just need all the bolt ons from your LS engine and ECU and convert it.

You can always call the state reff and ask the details and they will tell you what you need to have done to the B20. Its been done plenty of times here in CA.