See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Honda Accord Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Lights not lighting up??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Lights not lighting up??

Originally Posted by d0ugch0i
my brake lights arent lighting up. my regular tail lights are lit but then when i hit on the brakes the lights dont get brighter. i dont want anyone rear ending me so any help?? im a noob at this so i dont know what the hell is going on.
sameee issue man , anyone have diagram for rsx brake pedal switch? and is this my last option befor i got out and get this thiing the bulb is good not one fuse is out grounding problems .. baha new car smell so no. jp but reall talk i need the info stat the rsx is my daily for work.....
Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Trial User

If your 3rd brake light is working, it's not the brake switch or a fuse. The bulbs need replaced. I repaired hail damage on a vehicle that came back today with this issue. Even though the lights came on when turning on the lights, they were not working when braking. These bulbs have 2 parts to them, unlike the other bulbs for reverse and the blinker, and 1 part of them can go bad with the other working.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

bumping cause I have the same issue, but for me its just the passenger side that won't work...BUT ONLY when you turn the lights on.

update: for anyone who comes across this, try swapping your tail lights out ALONG with the harness mounted in the housing it's self.

Last edited by B_Swapped93; 09-27-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Trial User

bump ..same issue i had, brake lights working but when i turn on my headlights they dont work. I found the problem..if your fuses and brake switch were good, check the brake bulbs! they can go both ways, it has to notches. if install the wrong way thats the problem. try the other way and it worked for me. hope that helps..
Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 PM
Trial User

On my 02 rsx when i hit the brakes when i have my lights on during the night on one bulb in each taillight is getting brighter but they are all lit at night. side question does oneyone have aftermarket halo headlights and if so how did they set them up to run all the time ?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 143lbetty
bump ..same issue i had, brake lights working but when i turn on my headlights they dont work. I found the problem..if your fuses and brake switch were good, check the brake bulbs! they can go both ways, it has to notches. if install the wrong way thats the problem. try the other way and it worked for me. hope that helps..
Hey I have the issue where my brake lights do not turn on when I turn my headlights on. But they do light up when I brake. So my running lights are out.... and my horn is out.. so should I do same process, check the fuses etc. Bolds the brake switch?..
( I did crash into a fence on my right passenger front side. Pretty hard. So if that could be a issue... )
Old 12-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Trial User

Hey did you find a solution I hit my right side too had to replace some things please help.

Originally Posted by kevin perry
Hey I have the issue where my brake lights do not turn on when I turn my headlights on. But they do light up when I brake. So my running lights are out.... and my horn is out.. so should I do same process, check the fuses etc. Bolds the brake switch?..
( I did crash into a fence on my right passenger front side. Pretty hard. So if that could be a issue... )
Old 04-19-2017, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing to check would be to make sure your brake switch is being touched by the white pad thing on the pedal. sometimes those break.

https://dz310nzuyimx0.cloudfront.net...dfe6e356c4.gif

see number 22
Old 02-16-2024, 04:37 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by d0ugch0i
my brake lights arent lighting up. my regular tail lights are lit but then when i hit on the brakes the lights dont get brighter. i dont want anyone rear ending me so any help?? im a noob at this so i dont know what the hell is going on.

not sure what else to do other than trace wiring. Changed and switched bulbs they were good. Changed and switched fuses they were also good cleaned all contacts with a die grinder and electrical cleaner and still only works when running lights off , very dimly, doesn’t work when running lights are on only third brake light. Changed out brake light switch all new bulbs and fuses l, guess the only thing left to do is trace wires unless someone has an actual answer other than these steps along with testing circuits…
Old 02-16-2024, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trthomas21
not sure what else to do other than trace wiring. Changed and switched bulbs they were good. Changed and switched fuses they were also good cleaned all contacts with a die grinder and electrical cleaner and still only works when running lights off , very dimly, doesn’t work when running lights are on only third brake light. Changed out brake light switch all new bulbs and fuses l, guess the only thing left to do is trace wires unless someone has an actual answer other than these steps along with testing circuits…
Do you have a DMM? Check for continuity between brake signal, park light and the ground in the bulb socket with the harness unplugged. I had to replace the harness in my Integra because it was shorted to one another.