Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Is it bad to change brakes all the time ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it bad to change brakes all the time ?

Okay so I have been using the duralast gold brake pads and they have the lifetime warranty. I have noticed that under heavy spirited driving they fade pretty quickly and lose their bite. Replacing them is no problem for me and they are always free, but I just want to know if it will mess the caliper up or anything else from always changing the pads and sometimes the rotors ?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO not at all as long as you bleed the brakes everytime you should be good and make sure you have the right amount of brake fluid each time you change it . But to be real i think you should go and resurface your rotors , it sounds like they have run out that can cause new brake pads to go out faster .
Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
They let me pick

Originally Posted by Paul-R
NO not at all as long as you bleed the brakes everytime you should be good and make sure you have the right amount of brake fluid each time you change it . But to be real i think you should go and resurface your rotors , it sounds like they have run out that can cause new brake pads to go out faster .
You wouldn't have to bleed the brakes everytime you change them if the change interval is short. I'm also pretty sure he said he changes the rotors sometimes too, so if he changes them he doesn't need to resurface them.
You'll be fine. If I got free pads I'd change them a lot too...
Old 12-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am wondering what do you say to them when you go there with your break pads?

they told me they do not cover regular ware of them
Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is EXACTLY what I would do.... Take those $hitty brake pads off and throw them into the trash. Go to the closest NAPA store, and order up a set of CMX-7445 $67.49 (which I assume you drive, cause that's whats in your sig). Those are a set of Carbide Ceramic pads, and they are designed for "spirited" driving. I have used these pads for years on several autocross/road race projects, and that is what I would recommend to any of my customers. NO MORE CHANGING PADS, CAUSE THEY ARE BAD. Also, these pads are designed NOT to eat into your rotors.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AutoZone always says that they wont cover wear & tear on their brake pads, but they do.
They're a one time buy, but they sukk, wear out fast, and cause alot of brake dust.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Then it's a no-brainer for me. Buy a good pad that you DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE, and Forget-A-Bout-IT...
Old 12-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kelviiv
i am wondering what do you say to them when you go there with your break pads?

they told me they do not cover regular ware of them
I've done it 3 times already, I just bring them in and tell them that they are not braking anymore and that they are fading and they give me a new set. And this is with nearly full cake on the pads still. Shitty pads though. They bite great until you drive hard for a few days and they no longer bite, only enough to come to a looong stop.

Originally Posted by jesterjess
Here is EXACTLY what I would do.... Take those $hitty brake pads off and throw them into the trash. Go to the closest NAPA store, and order up a set of CMX-7445 $67.49 (which I assume you drive, cause that's whats in your sig). Those are a set of Carbide Ceramic pads, and they are designed for "spirited" driving. I have used these pads for years on several autocross/road race projects, and that is what I would recommend to any of my customers. NO MORE CHANGING PADS, CAUSE THEY ARE BAD. Also, these pads are designed NOT to eat into your rotors.
What is the warranty on those pads ?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 PM

^^^lol u gonna be changin em offent too?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redDAinteg
What is the warranty on those pads ?
I'm more interested in brake fade than cost or warranty. I see the CMX-7443 and 7493 are the best pads Napa sells, but there must be beter pads out there for auto-X. I just got a set of cheap *** pads (Duralast) and the pedal went to the floor last time I was even a little hard on the brakes.

I'd much rather spend a lot more and change my brakes when needed, than have my brakes go to the floor. Needless to say, these Duralast pads will be out of my car ASAP.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by thewrai6th
I'm more interested in brake fade than cost or warranty. I see the CMX-7443 and 7493 are the best pads Napa sells, but there must be beter pads out there for auto-X.
I recommend the Hawk HP Plus pads. Click here for recommendations for where to buy them at the best prices.