Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

B20Vtec Swap Low Idle/Rough start/No start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 06:04 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 B20Vtec Swap Low Idle/Rough start/No start

Hi, I am new to these forums so let me know if I posted this in the wrong place.

I am new to the Honda world and traded away my ls400 for a b20v 1998 civic. It ran amazing for a couple days and then decided it wanted to have a funky idle. Currently the car will barely start and will die unless you start it and rev it up to 3k rpm and very slowly bring it down. Idle is set at 1000 in the tuning software, it will hover at 1000 for about 15 seconds when you slowly bring it down and then just completely start falling off and dying. Doing some reading and talking to other Honda friends they all said they haven't had a Honda without idle issues and it was probably the IACV, I took that off and used a whole bottle of throttle body cleaner spraying it in and dumping it out. I also put some dielectric grease on the connections as they said sometimes coolant leaks on them and messes it up. I got the car started yesterday and idle was holding itself perfectly, no issues what so ever, took the car to o'rileys to show friends and then once again I started having the starting and low idle issue and had to drive it back home holding the gas the whole time. I have ordered and IACV off eBay as I could not find any OEM replacements. I was wondering if there was anything else I could look at that could be the issue. Once you're driving it it drives perfectly apart from that low idle issue. Is there anything else that could be causing my low idle/rough start such as distributor caps or rotors, plugs, wires?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-03-2023, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 276 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Re: B20Vtec Swap Low Idle/Rough start/No start

I would start with a working IACV and go from there. Double check the plug wires that go into the plug housing for the IACV, make sure the wires are not getting pulled or have any cuts/ breaks in the wires. I have a feeling the IACV wires on the harness have been tampered with possibly to extend the wires and if its a bad or poor wiring job that's where the issue will be.