Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

99 gsr wont start, maybe main relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 gsr wont start, maybe main relay

Ive got a 99 gsr, car hasnt had a motor in it for about 6 months, i finally got the motor put back in the car, the harness is hooked up everything is ready to go, i put gas in the tank (i had drained it) new fuel pump/filter/rail/fpr/injectors. i turned the key on a few times for the fuel system to prime. once system was pressured up I turned the key to crank it, the motor didnt spin or anything, there was just a pop (like something wasnt grounded properly) and now the pump doesnt prime. I turned the key again and nothing happens, no pop, no spin, no nothing. I took the main relay from my friend teg and the pump still didnt prime, i turned the key to crank it anyway, and i get the same pop again. it was already almost midnight so he went home and i got on the computer to try and find anything out. no luck. so i am here asking H-T for your help

I have looked over the harness and grounds from what i can tell everything is intact. buddy said the pop came from the general area of my vtec solenoid( maybe below it, maybe behind it, just somewhere in that general vicinity.

if you need anymore information to help solve this problem please ask, I havent driven this car in over a year and its begining to wear on me
Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 gsr wont start, maybe main relay

UPDATE:

I've honestly never heard a clicking noise from the relay so i just went outside and put my main relay back in the car to see if i could hear any clicking, and when I turned the key on, the fuel pump primed. I didnt try to crank it because i havent figured out my grounding issue yet (if thats what it is). This means that my main relay is fine, right?

oh and i still didnt hear anyclicking...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so engine does not crank at all? have you checked your battery voltage? battery fuse?
your transmission to chassis ground is clean, intact, and tight?
if those all check out, try a bypass jump of the starter. make sure the car is NOT in gear, e brake engaged, at the starter, with a small piece of wire, jump from the starter solenoid signal stud (small wire) to the B+ starter cable stud (big wire/cable). see if it cranks
Old 02-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fatlacelol
UPDATE:

I've honestly never heard a clicking noise from the relay so i just went outside and put my main relay back in the car to see if i could hear any clicking, and when I turned the key on, the fuel pump primed. I didnt try to crank it because i havent figured out my grounding issue yet (if thats what it is). This means that my main relay is fine, right?

oh and i still didnt hear anyclicking...
I dont know what changed, but I figured since the pump was priming, i would try to crank it and it actually spun over a few times and back fired a lot.

i double checked the plug wires and i had them:

instead of:

cranked up without any hesitation at all.
it ran for maybe 10 seconds and dumped about half a quart of oil on the ground from around the base of the head under the intake mani.

i put a cometic head gasket on when i put the arp head studs in. my dumbass probably put it on upside down or backwards or something. so ill be doing that today.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you torque the studs to? Are you sure your head and block had clean surfaces before doing putting it back together? And in case you didn't know, DON'T reuse that head gasket