Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

96 Stock GSR - Won't start after testing AEM EMS S2

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Stock GSR - Won't start after testing AEM EMS S2

I'm full of stupid ideas today.

So I purchased a used AEM EMS Series 2 for my 96 GSR. It's the correct box for the car (OBD2a - 30-6060). The previous owner said the tune was for an all-motor B-series engine, so in an effort to test the ECU, I decided to plug in the EMS and try to fire up the car. Car would not start.

Problem is, now that I plugged my OEM ecu back in, the car still won't start. It just keeps on cranking, so I'm assuming I fried something fuel-related or something spark-related. I checked the ECU fuse and it's good. Any ideas??

The car ran perfectly before trying to start the car with the AEM EMS.

TIA.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: 96 Stock GSR - Won't start after testing AEM EMS S2

You had no idea what the ECU was calibrated for aside from an "all motor B series", so trying to test it on your stock engine was a bad idea. The previous tune could have been calibrated for different fuel injectors, cams, etc.

Did you do any troubleshooting aside from pulling a single fuse? It could be something as simple as fouled plugs. You won't know until you start digging into it. If you're not getting a CEL, solid or flashing, I wouldn't suspect that you fried anything.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
You had no idea what the ECU was calibrated for aside from an "all motor B series", so trying to test it on your stock engine was a bad idea. The previous tune could have been calibrated for different fuel injectors, cams, etc.

Did you do any troubleshooting aside from pulling a single fuse? It could be something as simple as fouled plugs. You won't know until you start digging into it. If you're not getting a CEL, solid or flashing, I wouldn't suspect that you fried anything.
Yes, it was stupid, as noted in the very first sentence of my post.

I pulled the ECU fuse, that was it. I'll test for spark and I'll test for fuel tomorrow. Just looking for additional input if someone has made a similar mistake, so I can start putting together a plan of attack.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Is your fuel pump priming? Check for fuel pressure while your at it
Old 04-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ptimus prime
I'm full of stupid ideas today.

So I purchased a used AEM EMS Series 2 for my 96 GSR. It's the correct box for the car (OBD2a - 30-6060). The previous owner said the tune was for an all-motor B-series engine, so in an effort to test the ECU, I decided to plug in the EMS and try to fire up the car. Car would not start.

Problem is, now that I plugged my OEM ecu back in, the car still won't start. It just keeps on cranking, so I'm assuming I fried something fuel-related or something spark-related. I checked the ECU fuse and it's good. Any ideas??

The car ran perfectly before trying to start the car with the AEM EMS.

TIA.
Check the battery fuse 19 under the dash, you most likely fried a fuse, sounds like something grounded wrong.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Check the battery fuse 19 under the dash, you most likely fried a fuse, sounds like something grounded wrong.
Thanks, guys. As an update, the S2 fried my ignition coil and distributor rotor: https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine...ms-s2-3335715/

Car runs good as new after replacing the above parts.