Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

2001 integra no start after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 integra no start after rebuild

After rebuilding my b18b1 after blowing a b20 due to incorrect bearing size I decided to rebuild the original b18 that came with the vehicle

It's been a long weekend for me, but check it.

So I've rebuild the bottom end as far as piston rings and bearings. Everything done to spec according to the service manual this time

I got the engine in the car and it is cranking. I am getting spark and fuel for sure. I saw the injectors spray fuel and I tested spark with a screw driver to ignition wire to valve cover.

Timing Is definitely good. I checked more than i can count.

Ok so, I crank it - no start. Darn.

I get a check engine light after cranking it for 10 seconds. I do not have any diag tool so i try flash codes. Its code 4 for cps so I replace it and no luck - still got the code. All grounds are good, I checked all fuses and everything is good. I'm just scratching my head at this point.

While initially cranking it after replacing the crank position sensor a flame shot out the intake manifold.?!?!?! But after that, nothing. I though flames shoot out the exhaust!

- oil pressure light turns off while cranking

Old 10-29-2023, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 276 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Re: 2001 integra no start after rebuild

check the firing order on the distributor, wires
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-29-2023, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, but the fire order is also correct 👌
Old 10-29-2023, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Frankly I've triple chaked all the basics.

Grounds
Timing
Spark
Fuel
fire order
fuses

I've just tried to crank it, actually the oil light remains illuminated but it goes of after consistently cranking the engine. It is no longer backiring from the intake - that may have been from a unusual build up of some substance (air, fuel, etc). I've never had this is issue.

However, this flash code 4 is something to be of concern. Not sure what to do because I already have perfect timing and a brand new crank sensor. i am not positive but I believe the oil pump may be an issue, it is being salvaged from the blown b20, which was cleaned and assembled in depth.

Prior to replacing the crank sensor the ecu was not telling the injectors to injectors fuel.

new parts :

Starter
Crank & rod bearings
Piston rings
Coolant & air hoses
Radiator
All belts
Crank sensor
Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
spark plugs
Head gasket

The head was rebuild with new valve seals

The distributor is 3 months old

I've rebuilt multiple b series engines and this is a mind blowing occurance. I've check the surface of each piston and they are dry.

This integra is my baby she is so darn clean and I will never let it go. Ive worked on the swap without sleep until I had everything torn apart. Even rebuilding the b18b in the process it's been a total of 37 hour of labor. I'm not giving up but I can use any pievece of advice from educated and experienced builders as to what this issue may be. I'll replace whatever I have to. I just need this piece of art to hit the road again. 😩

Old 10-29-2023, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 812 Likes on 752 Posts

The CKP sensor is found inside the distributor... if you are replacing the sensor down by the crank pulley, this is the CKF (Crank Fluctuation Sensor) and is NOT the Code 4 that you are getting. Try a known good distributor and ECU. The ECU may be an issue since you have an immobilizer in the year model that you have.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Focus on the distributor / crank sensor. Make sure distributor isn’t 180 degrees out (not sure if you can even install it on the cam the wrong way). Make sure there isn’t anything messed up on the sensor or the gear teeth pattern. And finally, check the wires going to the sensor for continuity.