Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

1994 Acura Integra LS - Engine Dies, Power Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Acura Integra LS - Engine Dies, Power Stays On

Hi all, first post here. Just want to get some opinions on what could be going bad with my 1994 Acura Integra LS (155K miles).

A couple of months ago my engine cut out while I was driving around 20 MPH. I didn't even notice it until I pressed the gas to try and accelerate, as the stereo stayed on and the AC kept blowing. I pulled over to the side of the road, removed the key from the ignition, stuck it back and and turned it and it started up fine.

Over the last two months the engine has died on me more and more frequently. Each time it dies I wait a little while, turn the key, and the car starts right up. Sometimes it won't start up right away, it will just crank and not start. I'll try anywhere from 1-20 times to start it and eventually it will start. Usually when it does start it starts right up, as if there isn't a problem at all. Sometimes when I try to start the car the engine will choke and sputter as if it is about to start, but then the whole vehicle shakes and the engine dies.

On a hot day it'll die, I'll get it to start, and it will die again after a few hundred yards. I have to repeat the process many times in order to get home, kind of embarrassing. =]

The check engine light is not on - only turns on when the engine loses power and goes off as soon as I take the key out and put it back in.

The problem seems to be sensitive to heat, as it will only occur on really hot days, or if I have been driving all day.

My mechanic told me to pull out the spark plugs and see if I get spark off of them by jamming a screw driver into the plug and try sparking it on the ground wire connected to the engine. One time when it wouldn't start I tried that, and while the engine was cranking I was getting red and yellow sparks hitting the ground wire and the vehicle would not start.

Do you guys have any idea what this could be? I'm thinking either the main relay is having problem getting power to the fuel pump or a bad ignition control module.

Thanks so much!

Kirk
Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1994 Acura Integra LS - Engine Dies, Power Stays On

I'm 3 years late, but I'm just now reading it. Wish I saw this when it happened to me. I had the same problem on mine. It ended being the ICM (ignition control module). I basically replaced that and the ignition coil and it fixed everything. I'm basically responding for the next person who comes around and finds this.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ICM? Wow that's uncommon. Usually heat-related issues are the main relay inside the car. The ICM is the white/black box that piggybacks the fusebox.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that sounds like an annoying problem