Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del sol idles then IMMEDIATELY dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Post 93 Del sol idles then IMMEDIATELY dies

Hey honda tech! This is my first post so hope it doesnt land in the wrong section. Recently purchased a 93 del sol S with the d15b7... All stock except for a fartcan, by P.O. I did do a tune up on it! That includes spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, oil & filter change, air filter, cap & rotor... Bad part is those were all cheap autozone items I will be changing the cap and rotor and plugs for OEM when I get the $ (broke high school kid)

What will happen is after brief stops say I go to the store 1-2 miles from my house it will start right up but within 1.5 seconds will it will die. Only thing that saves me is bump starting it. Starts right up, weird? This does not happen every week either it won't do it for close to 2-3 weeks but happens again.

Im thinking fuel pump? Car had a bad fuel tank with a hole in it when I first got it... Had a mechanic replace it. Also noticing shitty MPG like 25 mpg its a 1.5L! Also I notice it does it more on low fuel say 1/4 tank, but also done it on full tanks.

My mechanic thinks its a bad throttle body. I took it by there and we troubleshooted and the car kept dying on start up! We adjusted the idle screw and it stopped! Started it back up about 10 times before leaving no dying. Did it again 2 weeks later.

Now I would love to but cant clean the IACV or FITV right now because the bolts are super corroded and rusted to hell on the throttle body... I can't even get the hose clamp off. Plus somebody stole my ratchet.

1 last thing. It will have rough idle with accessories on like (heater, cd player, or headlights low or high beam) At a red light if I turn on the cd player it the idle drops from 750 to 500 and almost sound like a misfire... I'm just stumped.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 93 Del sol idles then IMMEDIATELY dies

You should definitely clean the iacv and the fitv, also try cleaning inside the throttle body and as much as you can and around the butterfly plate, my 2000 civic had idling problems and it died once at a stop sign and after I cleaned it, it never gave me the idling problem again, hope that helps, also I think a 2000 civic don't have fitv
Old 07-30-2014, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice you just messed with your idle screw.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@Nerfgunner420 I know theres a full procedure to doing this...

It didnt affect it harmfully it actually straightened out the idle a lil bit. Still wondering why it will start fine and then instantly die. Any insight guys?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:35 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You got a little insight but you have no tools or ability to follow through.

Please describe the steps you and your mechanic took to "troubleshoot" the issue. Right now it could be anything. Spark, fuel, air. Take your pick.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1st I let him experience the problem. Turn the car on and off about 2 times, after the 2nd time it died immediately after the start up. Try to start again all we get is a crank.

I bump start it and fires right up, shut it off and then restart the car same thing turns on idles right at 1500 rpms for 1 sec then turns off. I can still hear the engine decelarate when it dies almost as if I just ran out of gas. I got it running again by bump starting it, he takes a screw driver and turns the idle screw clockwise (If i remember correctly) seemed like it had a more stable idle... Used to be funky and hunt and fluctuate, still does only with the lights or heater on tho. After that start it up again and it doesnt die! We started it 10 times or more and didnt do it. He said I will likely be needing a new throttle body in the future.

So 2 weeks later it does it again. But this time I didnt just go ahead and bump start it, I try to start it again... Just cranks and my 2nd crank, I didnt get a starter crank, just that one click but of course bump starting lets it fire right up.. WEIRD! Do you think this is a main relay issue?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM
The Grumpiest

You're all over the place.
So all you guys did was start it over and over and turn an idle screw?

I ask again, did you troubleshoot air? Spark? Fuel?

When you are able to follow the direction found in this link then report back. But not before.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/how-fix-your-idleing-woes-fitv-iacv-2153910/

Last edited by grumblemarc; 07-30-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, thats why i'm gonna find a new mechanic... LOL I think all he wants is my $. No we did not troubleshoot air, fuel, or spark. He was just like "Uhmp you'll need a throttle body or fuel pump in the future".... Not explaining his reasoning behind it.

I tried this already idle relearn procedure. Except I just unplugged fuse 7.5. It idles better! at 750-800. But thats not my concern, I would like to know why it dies so abruptly. And/or if this is a sign the fuel pump is going out.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM
The Grumpiest

Fuel pump prime when you turn the key? Are the injectors spraying fuel? Last time the fuel filter was changed? Do you have a way to check the fuel pressure? Do you get bright white spark at the plugs.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same symptoms as you did..

End up doing a comp test on all 4 cyl..

2 were at 20psi, other 2 at 120

Motor was dying and i thought it was the IAVC..

Good luck
Old 07-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@Grumblemarc Yes fuel pump primes when I turn the key... But say if I try to prime after I haven't been driving it for a couple hours, I dont hear it prime. But it will still start. Fuel filter changed 3,000 miles ago. I could rent a fuel pressure gauge thing from autozone, but don't have a clear understanding on how to use it.

Not sure if you mean ashy white stuff on the plugs as in a lean condition or if you mean bright white spark like GOOD spark at the plugs. I tried the pull a spark wire while its running, nothing changed on all 4 except a really ruff idle when I pulled them.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@Bananaskin9 I think you either didn't do the test right, or there is something causing such low compression on those cylinders, leaking valve or even a dropped one. I mean if you had only 20 psi on 2 I don't see how you would think that is IACV.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 PM
The Grumpiest

DO NOT pull spark plugs wires while the car is running unless you want to blow a coil. You were lucky.
Lots of hot start issues lately. Google and download the Field Service Manual for your car.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks grumblemarc. It really sucks when you can't trust your good friends. Could you maybe link me to it? I just googled it but can't find one in the 92-95 years and my computer says there is a virus risk if I open it.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it happened again! So I was at o'reillys getting the starter, battery, and altenator scan. It read all 3 were good. It starts fine, then I was just talking to the guy about my problem, turned it off. As soon as I hoop in to start it (leaving) It idles at 1500 and dies within 2 seconds. Its more of a Vromm sput sput sput.

But this time was worse, have him push the car... First attempt it just cranks, next one the tach jumps to the 500 rpm mark then dies. Next attempt It does the same thing. I can here the starter engaging as if it is starting.

Please honda tech help me! Not trying to make this into a drama movie, but this is giving me a huge headache, I have a interview tomorrow and don't want to be stranded!

Is this a symptom of low compression? It runs great when on lol.

Gives me no cels. But i kind of think its misfiring... Thump thump in the aftermarket exhaust is my only reasoning to this tho.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you cannot take off the throttle body and those two valve things to clean them, find a mechanic who can. It'l certainly be cheaper to buy some wrenches, a screw driver and some PB blaster and throttle body cleaner, though.

also, since someone else had real life experience with a problem like yours, it would probably be smart to do a dry -> wet compression test. You can borrow a compression tester from some car parts stores.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, for other suggestions. I'm trying to get to the throttle body to clean it but every bolt I encounter is rusted and corroded, the clamp where the intake meets the throttle body screw is stripped. Please help!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White_EG1
Bump, for other suggestions. I'm trying to get to the throttle body to clean it but every bolt I encounter is rusted and corroded, the clamp where the intake meets the throttle body screw is stripped. Please help!
Douse all bolts you expect to have to remove w/ PB Blaster tonight.
Let them sit overnight. Hit them again w/ more PB tomorrow.

That be a worm gear clamp?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cleaned the IACV! But I really don't think thats gonna make a difference, Cause it wasn't that dirty. Last time it happened which was 3 days ago. I start it up idles at 1700 for 2 seconds then sputters till dying like when the rpms drop it's slightly slow as a sputter, It happens mostly when i'm on a 1/4 tank and filling back up at the gas station.