Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up

Originally Posted by Tyler Dirden
That is what I am talking about. What did you use to control cylinder temps (fuel, timing, meth?) How was the nitrous applied (staged, wet, dry, progressive?) Let us in your head, what were you doing that was different or just better.

The Wizzards of Nitrous company offers the most aggresive and advanced hardware for nitrous on the planet. http://www.noswizard.com/revo-tech
This equipment is soo crazy and is exactly what I'm going to do.
The end of jetting!
Closed loop ARF operation!
4 Failsafe operating parameters!
Automatic bottle pressure compensation!
Every weak link to the oldschool nitrous hardware is overcome and I can't wait to begin a long and thorough optimization. I am pursuing a 450HP fully progressive system (effectively tripling HP) that is fully streetable.

I was hoping that a few of you guys would talk tech on your systems and share your succeses not just your timeslips. A few pictures would be awesome to as these systems can look very intimidating when the hood is poped; you know, no one is really sure what your running 100, 150 200!
That dude is a complete whack job (NOSwizzard).... He's on another planet and thinks that his way is far superior when in fact it isn't.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that's what I call a killer bit of info from a nostalgic perspective. It's 15 years later guys, anyone still trying to do it and succesful? So much more has been learned and developed that should eclipse this result. Killer as it may be, there are some true innovators out there, where are you?

Last edited by Tyler Dirden; 05-28-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nitrous is the same as it was been since the beginning.. Fuel delivery is the only small change that has been made and even that's debatable.. Nitrous has its place but its a lot easier and a lot more reliable to do so with a turbo on these small engines. IMO its a step backwards. I had great success street racing with nitrous but I was WAY behind the turbo guys when it came to HP and ET slips. It wasn't for the lack of trying or knowledge. I did tons of homework and tons of testing...
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iBUILT
Having grown up in Pittsburgh myself, I try to stay connected with what is going on there. It just so happens i got the chance to be apart of a nitrous K24 build, That my good friends at Pittsburgh Performance have been working on. For the past few month's they have been sorting out the car that started life as a mild all motor build, Figuring out what does and does not work with a large shot of nitrous. In preparation for the World Cup Final's race at MIR, Along with what was learned over the summer, A early dyno session today yielded great results.

Just wanted to share this with you guys and congratulate the Pittsburgh Performance crew, For taking the rode less traveled and not giving up.
This car along with there supra will be pitted with our IPG All Motor car at the upcoming WCF race November 2-4 at MIR, If you are in the area stop by and say hello!

A few pictures of the car:

Post from before. Car ended up going 10.7@134 ended up breaking a camshaft towards the end of the day.
Car made 290 on the motor. and with a 200shot made 524
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
I am Jack's...

That is very awesome, again we see the road less traveled! I give you props for the excellent post, you have taken the time to show us the reality and proof that we all live for.
Bragging, conversation, ridicule, b.s. and the like are not at all what this thread is about. When you see a ? it means that an answer is requested. The questions have been stated and restated and now we have a thread. Pictures, data, accomplishments, failures are all welcome. Please leave the juvinile stuff out.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First rule in the NOS club we dont talk about the NOS club....
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we did one b series 81.50 12.5:1 eagle rods and stock sleeves with blox bs made 220 na and 200 shot direct with a dedicated fuel set up made 480 motor is still alive thats been over 2yrs ago
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic nation
I'm pretty sure he ran a 10 second flat in fontana about 2 yrs ago.
Yeah, there was a video on here but I think it got pulled off. 10 flat cant remember the mph.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in for info on water/meth on a nitrous set up... have been very interested in using water/meth on a nitrous set up that i am still trying to wrap my head around what i want to do.

Bump for a good thread.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nitrous works fine with a water meth kit as an octane buffer.....for that matter just strait distilled water add with with a race gas or e85 set up also can be beneficial for power...all big door slammer v-8's us water injection with there set-ups and added over 400whp with the extra timming and nitrous the water allowed....look up some info on water meth with nitrous on yellowbullet they love the stuff....

nitrous likes big motors and are motors aren't huge....but that doesn't mean you cant run a big shot....id love too see a 2000lbs race weight k24 at close to 600whp running correctly with nitrous as the only power adder
....car would be deep in the 9's
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 PM
I am Jack's...

I have to agree and add more: octane boosting comes from the addition of methanol. The number one attraction to these systems is cylinder temp control! Up to 300 degrees can be stripped out of the combustion chamber without affecting cylinder pressures dramaticly in the power stroke range. This makes alot of room to do several things, add more nitrous, keep more timing, run lower octane fuel.
There is also the added benifit of steam cleaning the combustion chamber, but the heat control is the big player. Even a modest nitrous shot can be seriousy destructive untuned or otherwise applied to a motor with a weak fuel pump, factory radiator. Heat is our friend and enemy, cylinder pressures come from the combustion spike and instantly promotes movement, the byproduct heat come shortly thereafter and literally soaks and cooks into any surface that it can retreat to. HOT FINDS COLD! Piston ringlands and valveseats are the first to suffer and that is why these systems are powerful cooling systems. It is all together best to think of them as such, an additional cooling system; the kind that doesn't limit power but offer room to make more.
I am custom fabricating tanks and valves and regulators and control devices to make a heads-up ultimate system for a 450 hp progressive nitrous set-up. Yeah, I could go out and buy a good system for 700+ dollars, or make a state of the art system for 1500. This is not the way for evryone and requires alot of working knowledge on tank construction (rated safe operation) and great fabrication skills as these can become bombs in your ride if not dome properly. Because the actual nitrous bottle provides the pressure to PUSH the water/meth out of the tank (a pumpless system) that resolves many of the weak links in a conventional system.
Attached Images     
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM
I am Jack's...

On the lighter side though, allways remember to vent your bottles out side of the vehicle and you nitrous purge too. This 1990 CRX was nearly destroyed when the driver installed his purge solenoid incorrectly! The driver is OK but he's still laughing about it.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol'd
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyler Dirden
I have to agree and add more: octane boosting comes from the addition of methanol. The number one attraction to these systems is cylinder temp control! Up to 300 degrees can be stripped out of the combustion chamber without affecting cylinder pressures dramaticly in the power stroke range. This makes alot of room to do several things, add more nitrous, keep more timing, run lower octane fuel.
There is also the added benifit of steam cleaning the combustion chamber, but the heat control is the big player. Even a modest nitrous shot can be seriousy destructive untuned or otherwise applied to a motor with a weak fuel pump, factory radiator. Heat is our friend and enemy, cylinder pressures come from the combustion spike and instantly promotes movement, the byproduct heat come shortly thereafter and literally soaks and cooks into any surface that it can retreat to. HOT FINDS COLD! Piston ringlands and valveseats are the first to suffer and that is why these systems are powerful cooling systems. It is all together best to think of them as such, an additional cooling system; the kind that doesn't limit power but offer room to make more.
I am custom fabricating tanks and valves and regulators and control devices to make a heads-up ultimate system for a 450 hp progressive nitrous set-up. Yeah, I could go out and buy a good system for 700+ dollars, or make a state of the art system for 1500. This is not the way for evryone and requires alot of working knowledge on tank construction (rated safe operation) and great fabrication skills as these can become bombs in your ride if not dome properly. Because the actual nitrous bottle provides the pressure to PUSH the water/meth out of the tank (a pumpless system) that resolves many of the weak links in a conventional system.
interesting you going to run this set up in traditional cam in block v-8 carb'ed or efi?
and your 100 percent correct about water in the chamber, it's usually a good thing.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM
I am Jack's...

My V8 days are long behind me. This system is being installed on my Killer B20/VTEC just to raise some stank. I'm tired of 20 years of modified mag and the like featuring a turbo build and outdated updates. Real advancements come from taking chances, doing your homework and putting some skin in the game. Nitrous is the new BIG player, i'm just picking up where the real masterminds have left the breadcrumbs for us.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 PM
I serve phở for my babies

Originally Posted by 93supercoupe
lol we are running a 55 shot, and its the most inconsistent power adder EVER haha. Im sure with more practice we could get it dialed but i think we are gonna stick with boost or NA.
THIS. it mind blows you when you have a wideband in the car and somehow the nitrous stops working halfway through the pull and you start making 13.0-13.3 AFR's. i will never use nitrous again.. hated messing with the bottle temps and all that crap
Old 06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It takes a lot of messing things up to get things right.

Im getting ready to hopefully hit some good numbers soon. last time on the dyno i made 520hp/400tq ..281 all motor on a 4 year old motor.

the biggest problem with big shots is either staging it or progressing it. i had problems with my 235hp shot (Direct Port, single stage) being too much in one stage changing the tune. I had to break down and get a nitrous progressor with an AFR cut off a PLX dm-6 etc. I was introduced to Induction solutions thru Dshank for the nitrous burst panel that is welded on my intake manifold just incase any missfire etc. i am currently working on going for 550hp progressed one stage direct port. Im pretty sure i can pull it off just need all these new electronics to make it happen. Im old skool and never believed in progressors, widebands 3 bar maps etc but sometimes change is for the better.

most important factor is easing it in, then letting it rip. Most tunes don't due to well from the shock of a large shot.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nitrous... WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless class limited by inducer or the like and its allowed on top. Meh.

With whats available today, hardly a first choice... OR a second
Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the people saying small Honda engines can't handle more than 200hp, how the hell are 1 liter street bikes spraying 250-300? There are even street bikes spraying 200 these days

Using the excuse that a 200hp engine can't handle 200hp worth of nitrous is crap. There are grudge V8's that spray over 1000 and even a few crazy ***** spray 3 kits at 500 each. They sure as hell don't make 1000-1500hp on motor
Old 06-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I am Jack's...

I agree. Ther is alot to be said about the application on many other class of motors. We happen to have nearly the best N/A horspower of any motor made. That is a BIG reason that very few pioneers are willing to take the risk with nitrous as it's fickle to tune and unforgiving. I assure you that this has ALL changed and the pacesetters will soon be outrunning turbos. OUTRAGOUS!!!!! you say. It's allready happening overseas (world reccord performance over turbos) on bikes. Pro mods are knocking on the reccord books too REAL soon.
There is a new wave of control and reliability that is UNRIVALED! Only those who are deeply funded to go this direction can afford it, to do it right. But that's what innovators do, the research and the build for the love of it, not to be like everyone else.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nitrous applications simply can't hang with turbo applications in 1/4 mile. 1/8 mile is a nitrous world
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a 120 shot on a 13to1 lsv motor only issue i had i was shifting at 9300 rpm on a 24.5 tire the trans is a quaife gear set and its gear for a all motor setup so i needed to up the rev limit ...so i had to shift into 5 on this pass motor made 220 and 385 on the shot with Q16
i still have the same motor and trans i would like to add another 150 shot to it

Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very interested in all of the high hp nitrous stuff....I just got done beating a 270whp k24 swaped ep3 civic and all I have is a 130hp single fogger wet shot on 91 octane with water injection....and this is a 100percent stock cast piston b18ls with just eagle rods and gapped out rings arp head studs and new single layer gasket.....this street car sleeper on a hidden bottle is fun stuff......stock exhaust intell the cut-out opens lol...

with tune vary on the nitrous psi and such I always just tunned mine on really high pressure with new bottles per pull...this way as the bottle get's near empty or if it's colder and psi is down I just have a fat slower/rich tune....most big players switch out to a new bottle every run...we could do the same on are smaller motors for some help in consientcy

I have though about switching my race car lude set-up to single dry direct port progressivlly instead of the dual stage
Old 06-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a thread i found searching for this one, seems decent only a couple pages in but entertaining me while at work.... keep this thread alive!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/post-up-your-big-nitrous-honda-searched-1460144/
Old 06-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I am Jack's...

ive seen nonvtecallmotor beat cars that he def shouldn't have beaten, like a couple seriously faster turbo cars from northern virginia and what not. Nitrous def gets the cake on the street

you wont catch me lining up next to any big shot cars... traction > me

It's posts like this that get me grinning.
This is a really good old thread! No hating for the most part or know it alls.
None of the links work and most of the pictures are gone so you have to imagine for yourself from the comments just how awesome it looked. I know it's been a few years since this post was relevent and MANY racers have continued to push their nitrous knowledge to the edge; so where are your set-ups?
I do not believe that only a handfull of people on this site are willing to talk.

PEOPLE THAT KNOW SHOULD TEACH, SO PEOPLE THAT LISTEN CAN LEARN

The most advanced nitrous equipment ever made is now available since the last relevent post of that older thread. New programming techniques, new progressive applications, new jetless systems, closed loop AFR operation. Somebody is buying them, using them. What are your successes/failures? Has ANYONE exceded the 500HP nitrous shot for ANY 4 cylinder Honda and lived to run again?
I am colaborating with a Guru right now and we are designing just that. I will share all that I know, show all that I have built (no towels/ sweatshirts) over the pics and discuss with any reasonable persons any aspect of this set-up.
I am not anti turbo, just tired of turbo cookie cutter builds that make me yawn. Everybody is doing this so you do it, WRONG.
Imagine, dream, create, invent your way into the record books or for your own achievements/goals. Nitrous will NEVER go home with it's tail between it's legs, win or loose.

Quick Reply: Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up