Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:38 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up

What is your theory and practice on administering large quantities (250+hp) to the Honda B series motor. I hope to learn something, not so well known. I have read nearly every nitrous book in print, and still I feel that they fall short of the UN-practical limits that get run succesfully. For instance, almost no one is publishing detailed info on water/meth injection and it's use to reduce and control cylinder temps from skyrocketing.
Some very nice forums exist that detail extremely radical systems like this but for v8 drag cars with tremendous triple shots etc. The data is there in part and can be extrapolated to apply it too the B series I'm sure; as I am currently producing a similar system for myself (some very mad scientist stuff).
Tripling the stock HP of one of these motors may take a very methodical and serious aproach, of which I am determined to accomplish. B motors, breath better, have more valves and stronger bottom ends than their v8 brothers. Is anyone out there willing to discuss their heads up set ups? Can we please keep this a legit exersize. I will post details as I bench test my current system (water/meth) such as nozzel types, jet/ orifice size, pressure settings, tank and apparautus layout, and the basic math behind the approach. I have been developing race systems for a long time and hope to find the big risk very rewarding.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WHO IS RUNNING THE REALLY BIG NITROUS SET UP

There is an (Official Nitrous Thread) check it out there are some helpfull people
in there. That's alot of nitrous probably going to need to get a sleeved block and
forged internals and do it progressive. I run a 75 dry on a stock b18c.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a lot of nitrous back in the day. When you try putting 200hp+ threw an engine that only makes 200hp the tuning window is VERY SMALL..... IMO about 150-175hp is about as much nitrous as the small motors can ingest. Sure you can add more but I dont think it makes the hp it should and when things aren't happy it goes bad QUICK.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jakespec i belive has the record for the highest HP nitrous b
on our old motor we made 400 at churchs 2.0 14.1 S2P3 on a dry shot that was about 3 years ago tho with no progressive system or nano. talk to richewerks he is extremly well knowledged in nitrous
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 PM
I am Jack's...

Default Re: Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up

Thank you for the good start guys.
Of course this motor is being built sleeved for this severe duty. Every system on the car is being meticulously upgraded for the task. I am investing a considerable ammount of money in a pumpless water/meth injection system to effectively control cylinder temps, keep timing, and increase octane rating of fuel. I would never consider this without the additional heat control.
I wasn't really trying to school up the thread, but was interested in finding out who the risk takers were and what held them together.
Again, i'm not starting a discussion on basic nitrous, but crazy nitrous. I have seen many drag cars (v8) consuming 600+ HP on basicly a 300hp set up NA. Some are shooting much more with water/meth, the manifold plumbing looks like a nightmare but these one off creations are really working.
Here is my thinking;
Turbocharging compresses air, gets it hot, cool it some, stuff it in, add the correct fuel and viola! HP to the moon.
Nitrous injection, releases a super dense air souce, dramaticaly reduces intake temps (intercooling effect) add the required fuel and viola! HP
Exhaust temps in both set ups run sky high without monitoring, so is it just easy for folks to bolt on some turbo goodies for huge power (copying sucessful setups) which quadruple the NA hp and then some?
Nitrous makes the most sense for power, less complex system all together. Why is nitrous so spooky to folks, like some kind of voodoo has to be chanted to get things right? It's just math, oxygen/ fuel/ temp/ timing = power. Tell me about your BIG SYSTEMS and control equipment.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people are scared of nitrous because of the challenge of keeping the nitrous feed consistent.

All the bells and whistles to make the nitrous system work flawless are a pain in the *** to most enthusiasts, especially when you're talking about throwing double the engine's power to the engine in chemical form.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D-Rob
Most people are scared of nitrous because of the challenge of keeping the nitrous feed consistent.

All the bells and whistles to make the nitrous system work flawless are a pain in the *** to most enthusiasts, especially when you're talking about throwing double the engine's power to the engine in chemical form.

lol we are running a 55 shot, and its the most inconsistent power adder EVER haha. Im sure with more practice we could get it dialed but i think we are gonna stick with boost or NA.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We've used it on smaller setups. But like D-rob stated bottle temp and pressure have to be consistent to keep mixture correct.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 PM
I am Jack's...

I am ALL ABOUT the bells and whistles! I love science and mechanics. My hobbies are advanced high power rocketry, automotive crafting (systems analylist) and inventing. This stuff is in my blood. This car will have everything nessecary to datalog, monitor, control and alarm/ disable for this venture.
The distribution issues with nitrous are not hard to fix. Yes the bottle pressures change dramaticly from full to end use when engaged; but with NANO assisted bottle regulating hardware, all that is behind us.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've read threw about 40% of the nitrous thread on here... There are guys (recent times) that run these sort of set-ups... Running 300+ shots progressively threw 3 shots... What I've sorta seen is a lot of them are running 75-100 dry in first setup before the throttlebody. Then in second they hit a 150-200 dry direct port, then in third add both systems together... progressively of coarse... I'm interested in this as well to sit and learn... I myself have a 69 chevelle ss on 275 shot wet... and we are the only one in great falls Montana that actually sells / fills nitrous. We have just about 1500lbs on hand at any given time... And I plan on getting going with the Honda but I'm one of those guys that will do 2 years of research before doing anything to make sure its done right... in for more info...
Old 05-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always been told that spraying in more than the motor makes, with these smaller engines, gets volitile really fast. Your right in that not many honda guys will spray more than your average 150 shot or so.
I'm a big fan of the juice myself. I ran it in my stock sleeve ls/v last season. I ran a 2 stage dry setup with a 75/80ish before the throttle body, and a 175 direct port dry. The car ran like a champ on the 1st stage every time and was very consistent mid 11sec 1/4 mile passes. The direct port was alot more difficult to nail down and make it repeatable at any givin time. This may have been due to a setup issue or a leak in the system. But still got the car down to 11.2 in the 1/4 mile. That's all with no progressive controller and a cheap bottle heater.

Ideally, as I will be doing with my next engine, I would like to use the nano, and a progressive controller.
Personally, I've decided to try to have a competitive all motor class race car and use the nitrous at test and tune just for some fun, so I won't be going for super radical this go around but still aiming to spray around 200 at it.

What fuel do you plan to power this engine on primarily? I have run on basic pump e85 before with good results but its possible something like a race blend e98 or q16 or ftw would be good for something more outrageous.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In before 1000hp nitrous outlaw car...:-P
Old 05-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Over 10 years ago when I was street racing. I made 202whp all motor(2.0 b20vtec) and 325whp on 1 of my 3 kits...
I ran a low pressure dedicated fuel system. I would flow my system and would make tune changes 1/4psi at a time until the EGT's where to my liking. I could change the EGT temps as little as 25 degrees if I wanted. My car worked on the street and made plenty of money with it, but it got to a point that I could only race cars that where impossible for me to beat.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor
Over 10 years ago when I was street racing. I made 202whp all motor(2.0 b20vtec) and 325whp on 1 of my 3 kits...
I ran a low pressure dedicated fuel system. I would flow my system and would make tune changes 1/4psi at a time until the EGT's where to my liking. I could change the EGT temps as little as 25 degrees if I wanted. My car worked on the street and made plenty of money with it, but it got to a point that I could only race cars that where impossible for me to beat.
People still talk about your street racing days out here in jersey lol.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I made 490hp on a nitrous b-series around 10 years ago. Like Ricky said. Nitrous has a small window for error. I popped a few motors getting the car to make that power. Went 10.6@136mph in a 2400lbs car.

made 250hp on motor and had 2 kits on top
Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMekB20
People still talk about your street racing days out here in jersey lol.
That's funny! A lot of people want me to build another car. I always ask them why? "you could make a lot of money" I respond with "everyone knows me, its hard to get a race when you raced as long as I have." They say: "you can travel.."

I'm not trying to come off cocky but I'm known everywhere. I'm amazed at the amount of people that recognize me.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor
That's funny! A lot of people want me to build another car. I always ask them why? "you could make a lot of money" I respond with "everyone knows me, its hard to get a race when you raced as long as I have." They say: "you can travel.."

I'm not trying to come off cocky but I'm known everywhere. I'm amazed at the amount of people that recognize me.

Lol...the few times I've met you, you didn't come across as cocky. Build another car and have a friend drive it, and play the sidelines
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im gathering parts to put a decent size kit together.
Ive got a 15lb bottle
nx maximizer
solenoids

i want to do a single stage 200 but make it progressive with the maximizer.

going to be a wet dp kit so its a little simpler to to use the progressive controller at the track.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this nano setup looks intersting. Thats always been my biggest complaint, its so inconsistent. But this system looks like it takes that aspect away.

I dunno if it would be helpfull with the big shots, but from the light reading ive done, the Vette guys use it with success on there 150-250 shots.

http://www.jegs.com/p/NANO-Nitrous/N...41612/10002/-1
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NANO>heater in consistency. Only problem is that some people have is finding a place to fill the NANO. Most paintball shops or something alike can get it done for you.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 AM
I am Jack's...

Originally Posted by .CUBISH.
I made 490hp on a nitrous b-series around 10 years ago. Like Ricky said. Nitrous has a small window for error. I popped a few motors getting the car to make that power. Went 10.6@136mph in a 2400lbs car.

made 250hp on motor and had 2 kits on top
That is what I am talking about. What did you use to control cylinder temps (fuel, timing, meth?) How was the nitrous applied (staged, wet, dry, progressive?) Let us in your head, what were you doing that was different or just better.

The Wizzards of Nitrous company offers the most aggresive and advanced hardware for nitrous on the planet. http://www.noswizard.com/revo-tech
This equipment is soo crazy and is exactly what I'm going to do.
The end of jetting!
Closed loop ARF operation!
4 Failsafe operating parameters!
Automatic bottle pressure compensation!
Every weak link to the oldschool nitrous hardware is overcome and I can't wait to begin a long and thorough optimization. I am pursuing a 450HP fully progressive system (effectively tripling HP) that is fully streetable.

I was hoping that a few of you guys would talk tech on your systems and share your succeses not just your timeslips. A few pictures would be awesome to as these systems can look very intimidating when the hood is poped; you know, no one is really sure what your running 100, 150 200!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMekB20
Lol...the few times I've met you, you didn't come across as cocky. Build another car and have a friend drive it, and play the sidelines
IMO driver makes the race.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is an interesting thread as I was wondering if anyone was running a multi shot system on a B or K series engine making >450hp. I can remember anyone doing it other that Kurt Gordon years ago before he went Turbo. His car was once in an issue of Turbo Magazine, but I cant seem to find that article. Here is another article where he speaks about some of his setup when his car was N2O powered.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/f...s/viewall.html
Old 05-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Richewerks has done some serious nitrous proven setups.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MrParks
Richewerks has done some serious nitrous proven setups.
I'm pretty sure he ran a 10 second flat in fontana about 2 yrs ago.

Quick Reply: Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up