Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Oil Filters for Honda

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filters for Honda

Alot of the Honda models use the oil filter application 15400-PLM-A01 and the latest revision A02. I've read alot of controversial things about the new filter (A02), implying that the quality has diminished due to the change of manufacturer (Fram). The A01 was made by Filtech, an American company. Fram now is manufacturing all their stuff in China and apparently has become quite marginal in quality standards. Some say the Fram standard orange canister filter is nothing short of junk, with glued interiors and fewer filter pleats. There are even stories of internal filter deterioration that has spread contaminants into the engine. Any comments?

In relation to quality standards, I compared a Mercedes fuel filter (German brand) for a Mercedes C230 with the comparable Fram fuel filter. The Fram was poorly constructed and looked very questionable - I would never use it just by the difference in appearance. I phoned Fram Corporation and they insisted that Fram passes all performance criteria and that a vehicle manufacturer cannot insist that their parts be used to maintain a warranty - I wouldn't take the chance to save a few bucks. Unfortunately Fram has gone the way of many former American manufacturers - they now sell Chinese junk.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Oil Filters for Honda

I have used Fram and whatever brand oil filter on all my cars since 1986. On my two current cars, I have only used Fram (Tough Guard) so far, and have never experience any problems due to oil filter failures, so far. Not that I'm a Fram fan, but that's just how it goes.

Can Fram fail? Yes. Can other brand of oil filter fail? Yes also. When a plant makes millions of filter each year, there are going to be bad ones.

Yes, I've seen the youtube clips, the reviews on the internet when people cut them apart.

You use it. You dump it. Done. I change my oil before the MM, so I don't know. The old filters looks good to me. Then again, there is not much to see on the outside.

Will I still buy it? Yes.

If Honda now have their backing as their supplier, then I guess it must be good enough.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
I have used Fram and whatever brand oil filter on all my cars since 1986. On my two current cars, I have only used Fram (Tough Guard) so far, and have never experience any problems due to oil filter failures, so far. Not that I'm a Fram fan, but that's just how it goes.

Can Fram fail? Yes. Can other brand of oil filter fail? Yes also. When a plant makes millions of filter each year, there are going to be bad ones.

Yes, I've seen the youtube clips, the reviews on the internet when people cut them apart.

You use it. You dump it. Done. I change my oil before the MM, so I don't know. The old filters looks good to me. Then again, there is not much to see on the outside.

Will I still buy it? Yes.

If Honda now have their backing as their supplier, then I guess it must be good enough.
Very nicely put. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that Honda provides certain requirements for Fram to meet when it comes to their filters. I also don't think Honda would jeopardize their reputation and hundreds of thousands of engines by just slapping on any piece o' junk they can find to save a couple cents.

I always have and probably always will use honda filters. I change my oil every 5000km (3125mi) and have not had a single issue on anyone of my cars. Even my 1992 Civic Si, with 400,000km (250,000mi) runs beautifully
Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Creepsjr
Very nicely put. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that Honda provides certain requirements for Fram to meet when it comes to their filters. I also don't think Honda would jeopardize their reputation and hundreds of thousands of engines by just slapping on any piece o' junk they can find to save a couple cents.
Going OT. A few cents translates into millions of dollars each year. (But yes, I understand what you are saying.)
Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I started using purolator pure one filters quite a few years ago, the oil does stay cleaner longer using the pure one.( I have tested the pure gold on cars with 0 miles and cars and with 100K)

Recently pureolator switched there premium filter to pure gold, and they do a good job at keeping the oil clean and have a great silicone anti drain back valve for my corvette which is rarely used.

I tried using the regular purolator on my civic si, and at 1500 miles the oil started to get dirty looking unlike the gold which keeps the oil clean up to 2K.

I don't know about after 2k because I drop my oil at or around 2K.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM
MiX
Honda-Tech Member

I still will say wix filters best bang for the buck. Its the same as napa gold just relabeled at napa.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mugen Filter (if the cash is plenty)
Hamp (If I feel like waiting for the shippment)
Wix and Pure One (Very good with great prices)

NAPA usually gives me a wix filter for like 3 bucks.

When on the track, I use fram and royal purple filters. They do good for comp, but I'm not to confident in the day to day driving of these filters.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A01 has 8 small holes orbiting the large threaded hole.
A02 has 10 oblong holes orbiting the large threaded hole.

It would "appear" that the A02 can pass a larger volume of oil vs. the A01. I have never done a flow test, or any other sort of testing on the filters so I have no solid information for you. When it comes to my own cars I only run A01's. If you have both in your hands the A01 feels higher quality (Better paint, thicker metal).

I feel like if they cheap out on the cosmetic parts of the filter then the internals would suffer the same.

I hope these pictures help you decide for yourself.

"okay, here we can clearly see the Fram filter on the right and the Honda OEM made by Fram on the left. Notice the number of pleets, or the amount of filter material, it's twice as much for the Honda one made by Fram, thant he Fram one you go buy in the store. There is a difference in the filters. By the way, top filters are the one for the S2000 and the bottom ones are for the civic, the top left one (the S2000 OEm one) is not made by Fram/Honeywell.

Yes, this is the same regardless if it says Honeywell or Fram, Honey well bought Fram a few years ago."
Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice pictorial comparisons! What are the filters left to right - please identify. Plus I think the Honda A01 is made by Filtech (USA); I believe the A02 is the Fram subsidary production filter. The quality difference is very apparent - Fram is low bucket quality; maybe ok if one frequently changes it.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LankorDie
A01 has 8 small holes orbiting the large threaded hole.
A02 has 10 oblong holes orbiting the large threaded hole.

It would "appear" that the A02 can pass a larger volume of oil vs. the A01. I have never done a flow test, or any other sort of testing on the filters so I have no solid information for you. When it comes to my own cars I only run A01's. If you have both in your hands the A01 feels higher quality (Better paint, thicker metal).

I feel like if they cheap out on the cosmetic parts of the filter then the internals would suffer the same.

I hope these pictures help you decide for yourself.

"okay, here we can clearly see the Fram filter on the right and the Honda OEM made by Fram on the left. Notice the number of pleets, or the amount of filter material, it's twice as much for the Honda one made by Fram, thant he Fram one you go buy in the store. There is a difference in the filters. By the way, top filters are the one for the S2000 and the bottom ones are for the civic, the top left one (the S2000 OEm one) is not made by Fram/Honeywell.

Yes, this is the same regardless if it says Honeywell or Fram, Honey well bought Fram a few years ago."
wow frididaire is making filters now?????

j/k very nice!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use the K&N filter and like it? :dunno
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you identify each filter?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we order filters for stock at the dealer, we mostly get the ghetto a02's but sometimes a01, just depends what Honda has on hand atm
Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can only make out a few of those filters..

When i buy my OEM honda filters they are usually blue. So i'm guessing the blue ones are honda filters?

The ones on the left w/ the black top look like fram filters to me....

I am very curious which brands the other ones are....
Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If i knew exactly which filter is which i would save that pic and open up in photoshop and label them.

Someone up for the task? I'll do it if someone can label them all....
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From left to right

Fram

Fram

Hamp

Honda Civic OEM

S2K Purlator Pure One

S2K Proline Oil Filter
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone heard of the Honda oil filter 15400-PME-T01? It claims it is comparable to 15400-PLM-A02 and A01. The manufacturer is Tehnex. The running debate is that the A01 is superior to the A02; which one does the T01 compare to? I cannot find any facts on the 15400-PME-T01.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zebra
Has anyone heard of the Honda oil filter 15400-PME-T01? It claims it is comparable to 15400-PLM-A02 and A01. The manufacturer is Tehnex. The running debate is that the A01 is superior to the A02; which one does the T01 compare to? I cannot find any facts on the 15400-PME-T01.

The scutle but is that these filters are still FRAM style construction. I know they arent made by Fram/honeywell, but the performance is still the same. I wouldn't use it.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The hamp and OEM honda filters look suspiciously similar.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone said the 15400-PME-T01 are made for the European Honda market and do not have an anti-siphon valve in them. They are sold mainly for the Honda Fit in the USA. They are the same size configuration as the 15400-PLM-A02, but are not recommended as a comparable replacement in the USA market. I'd avoid them.

PS: I was told they are manufactured in Thailand.

Last edited by Zebra; 02-17-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Other posts claim the STP, Motorcraft and Walmart SuperTech ST-7317 are good filters to replace the 15400-PLM-A02. These have internal metal end caps and sturdy filter paper construction. Fram uses cardboard instead of metal.

There is a YouTube video elsewhere on these blogs showing an extensive cut-away review of various popular filters. The kid uses 4 letter words profusely to describe the filters and does a very good job - it is hilarious and informative. Try looking for it! Some expensive filters and cheap filters are identical!

Last edited by Zebra; 02-17-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I usually use the OEM S2000 oil filter made by Filtech.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IDK seems to me that if you change your oil often, which means changing the oil when need be (different driving conditions call for different service intervals) you should be fine. I work at a Honda dealer and never heard of any oil changes coming back due to faulty filter. A filter is a filter to a point. Change it often and you'll be good. You guys tend to over think this stuff too much. AAAAAHHHHH which filter will give my vtaaaaaaak the best lubrication i need to get 5000 miles outta my oil, aaahhhhhhh Gimme a break lol

I change my oil why worry about engine sludge
/rant
Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you question the quality, then don't use it. just go pick up a PureOne from amazon or kmart for like 5 bucks each. PureOne is arguably best filter the money. 99 filtration rate for what a micron size of 20? They can be used for 2 -3 oil changes.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With the 15400-PLM-A02A, what is the final "A" designation mean?