Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

no compression in all cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no compression in all cylinders

so my motor took a dump on me a while back and i decided to rebuild my h22a motor with a full overhaul. now that i have it all pieced back together and back in the car. i go to start her up and no start! i then decide i should do a compression test and when doing so i get a zero reading in all the cylinders... before when the motor was out and i had the timing belt on i hand turned the motor with everything at TDC and it all checked out, no hitting noise of any sort.... idk what could have happened. any input would be greatful.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: no compression in all cylinders

Originally Posted by h22 kid
before when the motor was out and i had the timing belt on i hand turned the motor with everything at TDC and it all checked out
before when? right before you put the motor in or before the rebuild?

if it's right before you put the motor in, you're definitely doing something wrong. before the rebuild...you may have to open that thing back up to make sure you put it together right.

either way, i'd get a second opinion from a friend. you may be having a facepalm moment...it happens
Old 12-15-2010, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so my motor took a dump on me a while back and i decided to rebuild my h22a motor with a full overhaul. now that i have it all pieced back together and back in the car. i go to start her up and no start! i then decide i should do a compression test and when doing so i get a zero reading in all the cylinders... l.
maybe you have to check again for the timing
Old 12-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so my motor took a dump on me a while back and i decided to rebuild my h22a motor with a full overhaul. now that i have it all pieced back together and back in the car. i go to start her up and no start! i then decide i should do a compression test and when doing so i get a zero reading in all the cylinders... before when the motor was out and i had the timing belt on i hand turned the motor with everything at TDC and it all checked out, no hitting noise of any sort.... idk what could have happened. any input would be greatful.
Did you remember to install the piston rings? I keed, I keed....

Recheck your top end & timing to make sure your valves are closed when they're supposed to be. Also check both your coolant and oil to make sure your head gasket is functionally seated and not leaking horribly.

Alternatively you could opt for a full leakdown test to find how the air is escaping.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when the engine's out, you hand turn it, you should feel the compression, if not there's something wrong, shouldnt put the engine back in car, much harder to do a timing belt now, but doable, take off the timing belt and match all timing marks, hand turn engine 3 revolution, see if the marks still match, if you already starter crank, there's a chance that a valve hit, that's what happen to a friend's prelude, good luck.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Usually if the valves are bent it doesnt bend all of them in very cylinder.
maybe it just bent a couple.
When you hand crank it do you feel compression building up when the spark plugs are still in?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by serjey15
Usually if the valves are bent it doesnt bend all of them in very cylinder.
maybe it just bent a couple.
When you hand crank it do you feel compression building up when the spark plugs are still in?
If he's got his compression tester screwed into a plug hole and his gauge reads ZERO, AND assuming his gauge works, why would it matter what it feels like with a spark plug in?

He should be testing his compression with all of the remaining plugs in, but disconnected from the distributor, so as not to allow **** to fall into the combustion chamber. This will also give you a slight reading even if your head gasket is not sealing between all four cylinders.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was right after the rebuild before i reinstalled the motor into the car... im going to pull the head off as a last resort thing... tomorrow in the morning im going to set it all at TDC and check all the marks (no biggie)... then im going to readjust all the valves and see where it goes from there... maybe the adjustment might help! and i did install the rings. haha im a noob but not that much of a noob! like i mentioned earlier worst comes to worst i will have to pull head off and see if valves were bent