Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 Si Auto-X/DD Build Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Si Auto-X/DD Build Suggestions?

Hey I just bought a 93 Si hatchback for a cheep DD and for a little Auto-X. I plan to run the car in STS and am looking for suggestions on things to upgrade that will make the car as good as it possibly can in STS without any major modifications. So far I'm looking at an AEM CAI tonight off a Del Sol for $75 but I'm offering $50-$60 MAX and only if it's a full CAI and not a POS SRI. I've also got my eye on some Hawk HPS Pads(front only) locally for a good price from someone who never installed them. I wouldn't mind some more power but would rather spend money on suspension parts and brakes b4 adding anymore power. The car already has 300,000km(186,411miles) but is in amazing shape and I bought it from the original owner who has all maintenance records overflowing in a folder I still have to look through. The cars condition speaks for itself, engine bay and interior are nearly MINT. In the week I've had it I have checked the oil and only had to add a tiny bit here and there from my hard driving. It pulls hard all the way to redline but I think the clutch is a bit soft and I wouldn't mind a better one.

Anyways, here are some basic pictures of it, I already pulled the wheel covers off, no sense having them fall off on the freeway and damage someone elses vehicle, i've seen it happen very sad to watch.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1993 Si Auto-X/DD Build Suggestions?

bump, no suggestions at all? i was hoping to find a little more help here, as it stands i've found more help on a cobalt forum about my civic than i have on this forum about my civic.......someone wanna fix that by making some worthwhile suggestions for my civic?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, do you have AIM or MSN? Hit me up and I can help you out!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic
Hey man, do you have AIM or MSN? Hit me up and I can help you out!
thx man pm sent
Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Integra front brakes and rear swaybar would help you out.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Integra front brakes and rear swaybar would help you out.
how straight of a swap is it? just rotors/calipers/pads? or do i need lines too? brake cylinder? Should i be looking for a set of stainless steel lines as well? Integra rear swaybar, how simple is that? 2-4 bolts straight on straight off?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if an Integra brake swap will allow you to run in STS class....maybe if nobody notices that they're not just stock Civic brakes. 2x on the rear sway bar. I think the SI has holes for the rear sway bar, so just bolt it up with the Integra end links.

Good wheels and tires, preferably a set that you only use for autocross as it's hard on tires. The tried-n-true Koni yellows with Ground Control coilover sleeves will help a lot too.

The D-series doesn't respond all that well to bolt-ons, so if you want to stay in STS class, I'd stick with air intake and a decent exhaust and call it a day.
fm
Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
Not sure if an Integra brake swap will allow you to run in STS class....maybe if nobody notices that they're not just stock Civic brakes. 2x on the rear sway bar. I think the SI has holes for the rear sway bar, so just bolt it up with the Integra end links.

Good wheels and tires, preferably a set that you only use for autocross as it's hard on tires. The tried-n-true Koni yellows with Ground Control coilover sleeves will help a lot too.

The D-series doesn't respond all that well to bolt-ons, so if you want to stay in STS class, I'd stick with air intake and a decent exhaust and call it a day.
fm
Sounds about right, I don't want to go beyond STS so the intake combined with a few exhaust adjustments like highflow cats. I will start looking for that integra rear swaybar and endlinks. The Koni stuff will have to wait for a bit while i get back on my feet. I won't do anything to the brakes if it takes me out of STS, Hawk HPS pads and some stainless steel lines and i'm sure i'll be happy. If i feel i want more power down the road maybe I can put a small bottle in it
Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL...
Seriously, there's a guy with a bone-stock '93 SI (well, except for suspension and wheels/tires) at our local auto-x that hands Miata and WRX owners their @sses. Then there's the knucklehead in the 5.0L Mustang that's smoking his tires all the way through the course and runs a full 10 seconds slower than everyone else. It's about precision driving, and the '93 SI owner is...surgical. Amazing driver.

fm
Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id like to say i'm a good driver but i'm not sure about being surgical, yet, one day
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Unfortunately, the Si doesn't have holes on the LCAs for rear sway bar endlinks. You'll need LCAs from a 92-95 4DR EX or 94+ Integra or Del Sol Si/VTEC ... but most of these also have the holes for ABS. Not a big deal if that kind of thing doesn't bother you. I preferred to get ones from an 89-91 Civic or CRX Si. These have the endlink holes, don't have the ABS holes, and are exactly what's used on the EDM EG5 and EG6 non-ABS.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Unfortunately, the Si doesn't have holes on the LCAs for rear sway bar endlinks. You'll need LCAs from a 92-95 4DR EX or 94+ Integra or Del Sol Si/VTEC ... but most of these also have the holes for ABS. Not a big deal if that kind of thing doesn't bother you. I preferred to get ones from an 89-91 Civic or CRX Si. These have the endlink holes, don't have the ABS holes, and are exactly what's used on the EDM EG5 and EG6 non-ABS.
u have some good DIY's i will be using several for my civic
Old 03-21-2010, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

New suspension (preferably coils), strut bars (front and rear), sway bars (front and rear), sub-frame brace, new LCA's, and possibly a camber kit depending on ride height. Intake, header, exhaust.

Disputable, yes but all of those excluding the brace, LCAs, and camber kit will benefit your DD and track drive.

I would also like to add that 99% of the time most auto crossers will say start with the car as is and add your modifications from there. Then do each race with it on and off, rinse and repeat. For example, if you want to stiffen the response on the top end you add strut bars but one at a time starting with the front, then do a race, add the back and make another pass. See how you feel about it and continue from there. Hopefully that makes sense and remember to have fun.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mmmmmmmm rice lol, don't worry tho, it's only temp, till i get the AEM intake.