Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del Sol Si - suspension, body, A/C, and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol Si - suspension, body, A/C, and other problems

Hello everybody, I'd like to start typing out a bunch of information about myself and the car in this thread. So hey I'm really looking to learn, fix and get tasks done primarily by myself. I have some high standers when it comes to my own daily driver, this is entirely my own, 4th car in my life, 3rd civic. Never used a fourm to look up anything before I bought this one though. I may be a perfectionist, but I would say some things are simply to expensive for me to go into.
I'll start here by going over some information about this car that I would like to share with this Honda community. Its a 1993 Honda Civic Del Sol Si, 5 speed manual transmission, which I have gotten surprisingly adapt at since I got the car last Wednesday. Its black. So I got loads more information, here we go.

There is no A/C unit at all installed in this car, only the fans work, feel great at night, but worthless on hot days.

I just got the deck wired yesterday at best buy for 50 bucks, I'm super happy with it's sound in here with the Kenwood speakers, but it lacks a subwoofer.

There are so many questions in my mind I would love to actually just talk to someone, but writing them down saves all my thoughts electronically for future reference.

So I'll dive in again with you fellow reader.

There is a missing clear blinker cover on the right side headlight.

There is fairly minor body damage throughout as well as some sun damage spots over most of the paint if you look closely. If there is no damage there are bad swirls. I care about the body and interior almost as much as the engine, still quite a bit of a process to go on the body, definitely no body mods, just getting it completely sanded and fixed blemishs for a flawless repaint in black. The guy who sold me the car said he could get me a great inside deal on a shop in minnesota called "Hondas Reborn" I think its basically a body shop, could be more to them then just body work however.

Also planning on completely de badge it leading to a more simplified appearance. Def getting rid of the ''Honda'' sticker across the top of the windshield.

Gotta figure out what to use to clean the plastic headlight covers to get them fully clear and sharp clear light at night and in rain.

My ebrake has at least 14 clicks to be completely tight and locked, I heard 8-10, what's normal here?

Another cool thing about this car when I got it was the wheels and custom brand new tires. Amazing grip on the road. My del sol does not have power steering by the way, is that at all normal? I actually really love the lack of it, feels really natural to me without it, much better feel for the overall suspension especially in quick turning situations in my humble uneducated opinion.

Here is actually a pretty big problem I think if it is not nipped in the bud as they say. It involves the suspension, its pretty creeky sometimes, but only like 15 percent of the time, 85 percent its flawless. Perhaps this old body needs some love in the stock suspension as I really would like to take care of this before it really falls apart at some point. Sorry bit repetitive there, but it actually is the only mechanical problem I've having with this ride at this moment in time.

I definitely will be taking care of every fluid replacement at their specified mile

So the engine and tranny have around 66,000 miles as the body and rest of the car has 154332 miles. I read these engine have 130 hp stock, how accurate is this here though after it has aged 18 years and 66k miles.

So there had been a tiny bit of actual engine performance modifications. It's got an intake that's like kinda loose in the engine bay, I think it needs a bracket of some kind. I'll get more details on what kind that intake is soon. Also some kind of performance muffler, but really that's it, everything stock. I know this is really basic, but how can I tell when I need to replace the spark plugs or any other key engine part involved in keeping it running correctly to replace or check for ''health'' or signs of deterioration.

The driver's side interior door has a long *** cut I believe caused by cracking from the sun as the other side has a crease developing into a rip like the other side. Looking to replace this somehow. Any good suggestions here?

Here is another problem, the hydraulic dealy for lifting and keeping the trunk open is weak and looks kinda beat up, definitly needs a new part here.

A big plus for me is all these compartments, I've loved them so much since I got this 2 seater as well as usage of the large, currently sub-less trunk.

I've been pretty damn obsessed in keeping this entire car clean, I remember learning quite a lot on autopia.org when I owned my other civic. I really love the look of a flawless paintjob and super clean interior, engine bay especially says a lot as well. Basically cleaning everything that the previous owner did not clean/detail up to my standard of clean. This feels really good to get this stuff down, really helps me out even if no one responds, kinda like for my records as well as sharing all my goals and what I really want this car to become. I'll respond pretty quick most days to any messages or posts.

Wow I've actually covered quite a bit for you guys to digest I suppose. Overall though, this is definitely the best car I've owned out of 4. I'm sure of it that I will have more issues and advice needed to get this car to the level of near perfection, albeit stock, that I'm looking for in the future weeks and months. I'll say right now I'm not planning currently to spend my good money on engine work and other mods to improve straight line acceleration and 1/4 mile times. I am though toying with the idea to upgrade the suspension to an even better level. Its pretty stiff as it is stock for me at least. It will remain stock for quite awhile however.

Another thing, I don't even have a real computer right now, but that's in the works as well. I'm actually using my Nokia x2 internet to type this out.

Well I actually had a great time spending it on writing out all these thoughts and plans down for any constructive criticizing or what not. Open to any ideas you may have for me. I live in bloomington MN, that would just be awesome if I could find someone who liked my taste in the super clean near stock look. I'm getting 31.5 miles a gallon on it, so I know there has to be some really good advice getting my engine running like it was just off the showroom, or at least advice for improving the mileage to the 37mpg it's getting brand new.

Okay guys that's actually all I want to type out for now, covered nearly everything immediately on my mind, but I'll be looking for thoughtful well written responses to really connect with highly motivated individuals like myself. Quite an exciting project it will be!
Thanks all who took the time to read it. (good job if u only read half)

have a good day and a better tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 93 Del Sol Si - suspension, body, A/C, and other problems

Welcome to H-T. I hope you get your questions answered.
-------------------------
Also, please create informative thread titles that reflect your tech question. Title edited.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For the headlights check out the 3m headlight restore kit. I have used it many many times, and I was always very happy with the outcome.

For the suspension, the car is getting older, and the suspension parts will begin to need to be replaced. Shocks, bushings, ball joints, tie rods etc. All of these things are fairly easy to do, and can really have a good affect on the car. Don't forget to get the car aligned after.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off this is a really lengthy post with lots of information that is unnecessary. I am also a new 1994 del sol vtec owner located in St Paul, MN. I'll chime in, where I can and give you some advice. I will have some parts for you in the next few weeks if you'd like to buy them.

Originally Posted by NateJamesKapel
I'll start here by going over some information about this car that I would like to share with this Honda community. Its a 1993 Honda Civic Del Sol Si, 5 speed manual transmission, which I have gotten surprisingly adapt at since I got the car last Wednesday. Its black. So I got loads more information, here we go.

There is no A/C unit at all installed in this car, only the fans work, feel great at night, but worthless on hot days.
>> these cars came stock with A/C. likely someone pulled the A/C for a turbo project.

I just got the deck wired yesterday at best buy for 50 bucks, I'm super happy with it's sound in here with the Kenwood speakers, but it lacks a subwoofer.
>> Do you have sound coming out of your door panels and behind the seats? If not, you can add the missing speakers, or just get after market. Lots of people moding these with amps and woofs.

There is a missing clear blinker cover on the right side headlight.
>> Majestic Honda is the only way you're gonna get these covers.

Gotta figure out what to use to clean the plastic headlight covers to get them fully clear and sharp clear light at night and in rain.
>> As person said earlier, use 3m lense restorer. These headlights are pricy greater than $100+ each.

My ebrake has at least 14 clicks to be completely tight and locked, I heard 8-10, what's normal here?
>> No Idea. you may have a loose ebrake cable, or worn pads or calipers

My del sol does not have power steering by the way, is that at all normal?
>> No. You should have power steering. Again likely a performance mod, to not rob the engine of power.

Here is actually a pretty big problem I think if it is not nipped in the bud as they say. It involves the suspension, its pretty creeky sometimes, but only like 15 percent of the time, 85 percent its flawless.
>> As previous poster said, your suspension is likely shot. Need new struts, and likely bushings, as well as CV joints etc. Very expensive. Good stock replacement is KYB GR-2 (about $200 for all 4). But the rear lower control arm bolts often get seized in the bushings so plan on replacement parts there (Bolts, bushings).

So there had been a tiny bit of actual engine performance modifications. It's got an intake that's like kinda loose in the engine bay, I think it needs a bracket of some kind.
>> Likely short ram air intake. I dont think there is a bracket for this.

I know this is really basic, but how can I tell when I need to replace the spark plugs or any other key engine part involved in keeping it running correctly to replace or check for ''health'' or signs of deterioration.
>> When they are bad. I think the Si has the SOHC, and the plugs may be under the valve covers. dunno for sure.

The driver's side interior door has a long *** cut I believe caused by cracking from the sun as the other side has a crease developing into a rip like the other side. Any good suggestions here?
>> Likely will have to replace the interior door panel. These are expensive. I have 2 doors coming in for spare parts. I am willing to sell the interior door panels. Though not cheap. $150 for both.

Here is another problem, the hydraulic dealy for lifting and keeping the trunk open is weak and looks kinda beat up, definitly needs a new part here.
>> Majestic honda. order the part.

I'll say right now I'm not planning currently to spend my good money on engine work and other mods to improve straight line acceleration and 1/4 mile times. I am though toying with the idea to upgrade the suspension to an even better level. Its pretty stiff as it is stock for me at least. It will remain stock for quite awhile however.
>> Only way to improve this is either 1) Turbo or 2) engine swap. Both of which cost and take some effort to do.

Hope that helps! Do your seals leak? Hopefully not.