Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

93 Civic Si LSV Daily Driver Buildup/Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic Si LSV Daily Driver Buildup/Adventures

Well HT, it's been a while, but I decided to start up a thread for my most current and what I hope is last personal car for a while Honda wise, it has been in my eyes to daily drive a EG Si hatch with moderate power all motor, just enough comfort to keep me happy, with low visual maintenance (if I have a fresh painted car I am **** about it and I just don't see the point in dropping the $$$ on paint only to see it beat up from daily abuse over time) to enjoy and have fun in daily, but still look good in my eyes. I've had alot of EG's, but never an Si, 2 JDM front DC's, couple EF's for short times (not for me). Excited to put all my parts together I've acquired from buying selling and flipping cars and kept over the years and put something together functional, good looking (to me) and well performing for the parts/setup. I do all the work myself, I enjoy taking on tasks with it to learn new things and expand my knowledge base on these things.

That being said, I stumbled upon this car, a 1993 Civic Si, originally a black car, I have been acquainted with this car for about 7 years locally, this car quite simply has been through hell. Many negligent owners, hacked wiring, shitty body work, ebay parts, half *** shave bay, 5 different colors including original and current, along with countless swaps and setups. I picked the car up as a shell in trade for a EK hatch I bought with a B20 to install into my Champ White Integra that was sold and stuck a good single cam in it the car still needed a good bit of work, still a running car for a shell. Most would have written this car off to scrap, but I saw something in it.

I feel like I rambled enough so I'll get to some pics to entertain you and up to date on where the car is at now, will get to the specs of the LSV, plans and what not in another post.

The day it was dropped off to me

Body had seen better days (both sides), beings I'm not after a show car, just functional, I repaired it with my own metal patches, little bit of glass, slight filler to even out. Could I have repaired with new panels? Yes. Did I? No. Onto what I like to refer as "low maintenance paint" lol Along with starting of adding parts after a long few weeks of fixing the needs before adding the wants. Rustoleum "Premium" (the gold can lol) vertical spray pattern rattle can lol I may have lost your interest but bear with me here.

Before getting any deeper into showing the Si build up, here is what I sold after putting together (made plenty on it) too heavy for me, even though they are amazingly comfortable cars to daily.

Once that sold I had the cash ready to restore the underside of the Si, every arm, bushing, bearing, control arm, brake caliper, rotor pad, line, master cyl, clutch master cyl (S2000) was replaced and some. Even with the rust in the body, the under side was saved by the OEM undercoating. Suspension wise the car has Koni yellows up front, with extended top hats with Omni springs, which are off the set of fronts in which the rears are still on the car as complete coil over set.

At some point in time the Si knuckles and brakes were swapped out for DX, not sure if it was just robbed for another car and this was just a donor or if it was done to fit 13" wheel slicks, either way I left them on there and it brakes fine with the added 15/16 master.

With all these fresh parts and time put in I wanted "real" wheels for the first time..

I work at Honda, in parts, so the Tire Rack wholesale account, treats me wonderfully

Snagged a set of 15x8 +28 RPF1's in silver, and a set of 205/50 DZ102s, only have a handful of miles on them but very happy so far.

I've held out on full car pics after spray bomb long enough I suppose..

Just added some cheap eBay J's style I believe vents to put where even worse looking ebay fogs were, I like them for $54 bucks. and the First Molding style lip, just under $100, I like the EastCoastComposites carbon one, may look into getting one of those to match my carbon BYS wing that sits in my room from years back. But this one will do for now, was from Bayson R I believe.

No tiger stripes, runs, or anything of the sort. May have $200-250 tied up in the paint and body repair supplies. I can't complain. Maaco wanted $700+ and I wouldnt have been happy with it I don't think, this I am, all about self satisfaction in my eyes.

Car currently has top end off doing valve seals to fix a slight smoking issue, quick run down, I built the motor in 2012, but didn't touch the head, it ran fine for 60k miles, yes you read that right 60k, but started smoking up top and on start up along with after sitting at a stop for a few minutes. Obv points to valve seals. The above is what I found. Seals are in, putting cams back in tonight and should be back on the road. Will list out the specs on motor next post. Almost time to punch out Feel free to comment/question!

Last edited by xSteve_Ox; 06-06-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Civic Si LSV Daily Driver Buildup/Adventures

Put the top end back together last night after I got off work, no signs of smoking any more so I'd say its fixed. Luckily looks like guides are in fine shape.

Basic rundown on the setup....

81mm LSV
stock rods
pr3 NPR pistons/rings
ARP rod bolts
King bearings
VTEC/obd2 oil pump
VTEC water pump/belt
ARP headstuds
Cometic HG
Skunk2 OG manifold
70mm Skunk2 tb
RDX 410cc injectors
AEM rail/regulator/Fragola gauge
Buddy Club Spec 3+ cams

3" GoAutoworks intake
1320 RMF V3 style header (on the way)
testpipe
Gen 2 Apexi N1 (over control arm) catback

Lots of my parts have been acquired over the years, buying, selling trading, jumping on part outs and more than a few parts bought off the Marketplace.

I could list out for days individual parts just simply because the car was put together from a pretty rough start point, everything was replaced. Any questions on what you see just ask!

I built the motor in 2012 with my good friend, who we build a identical setup with a GSR head and ITR cams for his EK coupe. The motor was in another hatchback for about a year and some change, the car was parted out for reasons and traded the shell for my LSD ITR trans (and other things) attached to this longblock currently. The motor probably had 60k on it, let mentioned friend borrow it for a while then it sat in yet another car I put together that sat for a year and was never ran. The time did the valve seals in and started smoking slightly. I needed a daily (story of my life) so got the white Integra I posted and put that together to the pictured state. Smoking got worse and then realized I wanted a lighter shell to take more advantage of the power I am making. Hence when I got the b20 ek to take swap out of to sell with Integra and was left with a EK hatch and a single cam I picked up to trade for this Si as a rough shell.

By the time the swap made it's way into this car, it has racked up 70-75k miles. Not bad for a motor everyone says won't last. It in its prime saw 8600 frequently with no issues. I can thank the Reliable LSV/B20V thread helping me with that build

Enough with the boring words.. on to more pics

That's all for today, I will share this though, besides this Si, I also am working on restoring/building a 92 notchback 5.0 5spd Mustang. In a million pieces right now, will not be done anytime soon, but if any body has interest in it I'll post small updates on it as well progress on that.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the coupe is my favorite foxbody style.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:21 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice cars man.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r_Senik
the coupe is my favorite foxbody style.
Thanks man, mine too. Honda's I prefer hatches, Foxbodys I am in love with notchbacks. This car will have full Team Z K member, coil overs, rear suspension with Strange 10 ways, DSS forged piston 306, GT40 cobra 3 bar heads, GT40 Explorer manifold, E cam, 1.7RR, blah blah, T5z Cobra trans and 373s. Pretty much top to bottom from a almost virgin car that had a few small drivetrain things done is all. Plus I picked it up before the prices went stupid high on the coupes. I am probably going to have another year in restoring this one, just with paint and messing with it in my free time. It's been sitting for a few months as it is, now that the Si is up and going will have more time to mess with it. Putting the motor together is next on that.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShinsenTuner
Nice cars man.
I appreciate it, they all aren't nice when I get them but most of the time they are pretty decent by the time I'm done. I don't like driving around in junk. To many times people have money in mods, wheels, tires, aero, whatever and car mechanically is junk, if you can't maintain / upkeep the car you shouldn't mod it. Working where I do parts are easy to come by and pretty affordable for most part wither I am using OEM or aftermarket.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Master Ninja

Damn that Integra was nice. Good job on the hatch
Old 06-08-2016, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eddie
Damn that Integra was nice. Good job on the hatch
I liked it too, both of mine actually alot, AC/PS full power options were wonderful. I quickly forget about all that though when I jump in the Si, I don't know, I just love the simplicity and feel of the EG hatchback vs the rest.

My 1320 RMF v3 style header is at FedEx I have to pick it up on lunch. I also tossed in the Walbro 255 pump in last night. Replaced a cheap Autozone pump I was noticing unsteady pressure and was told it was such a pump so was planning on replacing since day one. With the 255 in, at same regulator setting 2-3 more psi is noticeable with a dead steady almost needle on the gauge.

Things are winding down before I send my ECU off to Derek at IMW to get Neptune RTP put in and we proceed to remote tune this within the next few weeks I am hoping. Ready to see what this setup will do finally at close to it's full potential. It may see dyno time but not in the near future. Every once and a while a mobile dyno will pop up around me locally, may check one of those out afterwords if I feel froggy. Will post up some pics of this header this afternoon.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Throwing it on tonight
Old 06-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so clean
Old 06-10-2016, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Header looks amazing on there, install was tricky at first I don't have the cross bar in the core support luckily and fished it through there fairly easily.

Pretty much wrapped up, nothing much going to change under the hood, finally "perfected" the setup and got everything how I always wanted it, trial and error over the years on some stuff but none the less, it seems to work very well. Power comes on strong with these cams and the cross over isn't like a light switch as it was before with other headers, tone changes and it just pulls hard no exaggerated crossover.

Trying to have it tuned with in the next month or so. Sending ECU out next week.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:38 AM
No Jodas

How's the header fitment in terms of oil pan clearance? I bought an SMSP rep and it hits my oil pan a little bit (B20VTEC)... gotta finesse it a little bit when I get a chance.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How's the header fitment in terms of oil pan clearance? I bought an SMSP rep and it hits my oil pan a little bit (B20VTEC)... gotta finesse it a little bit when I get a chance.

Great. To say the least, I had the SMSP rep on my Integra. Same issue with oil pan. Great ground clearance. But this header is even better with ground clearance. Merges 4-1 before it goes under the pan. I'll get some better pics of fitment later on tonight for you. Comparable to the PLM v2 bisi style I"ve also had. That is actually on my friends car now due to some trading we did a while back lol. There is no way this would fit with a full size rad or AC but they note that in there fitment guide.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:50 AM
No Jodas

I'm assuming 2.5" collector too? Wanna send me a link to where you bought it...? lol
Old 06-10-2016, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm assuming 2.5" collector too? Wanna send me a link to where you bought it...? lol
I got it off their ebay store simply because it had better pricing. 1320 Performance. Listed for $349 on the site, and $75 for testpipe. I grabbed them for $275 and $50 I think respectively.

I'll send you some links PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not much interesting going on right now, just making sure everything is in order to be tuned. I did end up dusting off my (real deal) BYS wing and putting it on. One of those love to hate things. lol. Made a change to my crank case ventilation setup, deleted the pcv was still having slight smoke in upper rpms. After some research I tried deleting it and guess what it is gone for good other than what I deem normal when you run one of these things out past 8k. "Service limit" lmao

The tach in my cluster took a **** but luckily being the EG head that I am I know where a few parts cars are sitting. Grabbed a few things, cluster bezel was cracked but had a clock in it, auto ex cluster which I just robbed the tach from and put the speedo in storage for later use if needed. Sunroof motor which still didn't fix my problem, may just make it a manual option like everything else. Center vent was a nice score too in mint shape.