Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Favorite camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite camber kit?

imlooking for a frnt and rear camber kit and im intrested in hearing what feedback you guys have. i was looking aty k sport, skunk2 and spc.

its a daily so i dont need to adjust it every weekend but im looking for good quality the first time around
Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Favorite camber kit?

I would stay away from any of the front camber kits that replace the whole upper control and ball joint. The ball joints these come with a pretty poor quality in general and have a very small range of motion which may limit your suspension travel. And when the ball joint finally fails you'll spend more to replace it.

I like the ingalls kit which does not replace any ball joints. And allows you to add a few degrees of caster.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hardrace. Beefy suspension design. No doubt in my mind that they will slip. Prior to HR's. I used Skunk2. Never had problems with balljoints since 2002.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At the front, none. Ensure your suspension is in generally good condition and then get an alignment from someone that knows what they are doing. Go to a race prep style shop if available.

Read the sticky at the top of this forum but the general gist is that front camber kits are a catch 22 situation. A car low enough to need them, and I am talking super low -4 camber territory here, will have so little suspension travel available that a front camber kit that is generally a bulkier upper control arm will reduce the available travel down to nil and the upper control arm will smack the suspension tower constantly. So for a moderately lowered street car I would steer clear of such devices, the levels of camber you will achieve will most likely have a positive effect on cornering grip and a minimal effect on tyre wear.

If you need to reduce the rear camber a little and if you must put a front camber kit in then I have installed Hardrace items in a friends DC2 before and I thought they were nice pieces.

EDIT: Thought this was in the Suspension forum where it should be. The "camber kits" sticky I mention can be found in the Suspension forum.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran the SPC UCAs for a few years, never had any real issues with them (never slipped), other than minor bushing squeak (fixable with some lube). Only took them off because I got sick of denting my shock towers from UCA contact (damn LA roads)...

But I'd still recommend no front camber kit for a street car. I put mine on for more camber for auto-x use.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chargeR
At the front, none. Ensure your suspension is in generally good condition and then get an alignment from someone that knows what they are doing. Go to a race prep style shop if available.

Read the sticky at the top of this forum but the general gist is that front camber kits are a catch 22 situation. A car low enough to need them, and I am talking super low -4 camber territory here, will have so little suspension travel available that a front camber kit that is generally a bulkier upper control arm will reduce the available travel down to nil and the upper control arm will smack the suspension tower constantly. So for a moderately lowered street car I would steer clear of such devices, the levels of camber you will achieve will most likely have a positive effect on cornering grip and a minimal effect on tyre wear.

If you need to reduce the rear camber a little and if you must put a front camber kit in then I have installed Hardrace items in a friends DC2 before and I thought they were nice pieces.

EDIT: Thought this was in the Suspension forum where it should be. The "camber kits" sticky I mention can be found in the Suspension forum.

I think in this forum we have the opposit problem, not enough negative camber with the car at proper ride height.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Suspetise...

Originally Posted by ScottBell
I think in this forum we have the opposite problem, not enough negative camber with the car at proper ride height.
Correctamundo. I got Skunk2 arms to increase my negative camber. They're just "ok" by the way, and do have the mentioned problem of contacting the shock tower. From what I've seen, SPC and Hardrace are the way to go. I would avoid K-sport like the plague, but that's just my opinion.

Also note that the Ingalls kit mentioned is pretty limited in how much camber it can add. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head unfortunately.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think in this forum we have the opposit problem, not enough negative camber with the car at proper ride height.
Yep sorry I should have mentioned that, but the fellow was asking for advice on for a daily driver so it didn't seem pertinent .
Old 11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks everyone. lots of helpful info to put to mind
Old 11-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Stinkycheezmonky;40632343] and do have the mentioned problem of contacting the shock tower.

QUOTE]

I have to admit freaking out the first that happened to me with those control arms. It did not help that I had just taken a 110 mph dirt ride, and noticed it while inspecting the car. I thought I had seriously messed up something.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm using Specialty Products. Haven't had any problems for the 10 years I've had them. Ingalls on the other hand squeak and slip. Got tired of frequent realignments with the Ingalls (three different fronts on two different cars). They were the anchor bolt type.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:11 AM
Suspetise...

I have to admit freaking out the first that happened to me with those control arms. It did not help that I had just taken a 110 mph dirt ride, and noticed it while inspecting the car. I thought I had seriously messed up something.
Same here, minus the dirt ride "****, what the hell was that!"