Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Rear Brake Compare - GSR vs. ITR vs. NSX (Fastbrakes, StopTech, lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Compare - GSR vs. ITR vs. NSX (Fastbrakes, StopTech, lots of pics)

I've been working on some brake upgrades. There has been some discussions on the GSR vs. ITR and a few ITR vs. NSX.

Please, please, please do not drag this post into the debate of whether or not you think these brake upgrades are actually needed or not needed. My reasons for this upgrade is that due to the larger brakes I'm running on the front, running larger rears (with a proper proportioning valve) will allow the rears to do a little more work and thus allow the front to run cooler.

GSR - ITR - NSX

Unfortunately I do not have a pic or measurement of piston sizes.

Pad size compare

Brake rotors compare: GSR - ITR - Fastbrakes GSR kit - Fastbrakes NSX kit

The NSX Fastbrake rotor is just as large as my old ITR front rotor. Both setting beside my new Stop-Tech front rotor

Here is a pick of the old GSR setup with the Fastbrake upgrade kit:
15" rims with 205/55-15's

Stock ITR setup on 17" 225/45-17's

Fastbrake NSX setup on 17's

I ran the ITR calipers with a stock Autozone pad for the GT Track Attack and CarGuys are VIR last weekend and it worked will.
A proportioning valve is a must for the NSX setup. I'm running 10K springs in the rear and 8K in the front. And using the stock 40/40 valve, the NSX rear would lock up extremely easily. I will soon be going to 14K rear and 10K fronts and individual proportioning valves which should help. It may still all be too much. I don't know yet. I have not been able to find any track EG's running Stop-Tech's let alone anyone running NSX rears.

FYI, front setup:

Old 10-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Brake Compare - GSR vs. ITR vs. NSX (mrlegoman)

very nice set up.
i think that would work well on a prelude and even accords converted to prelude knuckles.
what is the size of the nsx factory rear brake rotors and the size of the fast brake rear setup???
Old 10-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

kinda off-topic, but is that 225/45-17 tire on an Integra? Why such a huge tire size?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

it will take a few hours to get the balance right with the porportional valve.
after then you should be breaking later with more control than the competition
Old 10-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda off-topic, but is that 225/45-17 tire on an Integra? Why such a huge tire size?</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes, I would run 245's if I could.
Here you go:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1752460
and
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1783081
and
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1784730
Old 10-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Brake Compare - GSR vs. ITR vs. NSX (alterdcreations)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alterdcreations &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is the size of the nsx factory rear brake rotors and the size of the fast brake rear setup???</TD></TR></TABLE>I am going to assume their the same. I'll double check with Fastbrakes.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rear Brake Compare - GSR vs. ITR vs. NSX (mrlegoman)

Why do you refer to it as "GSR"? All the Integra brakes besides the ITR are the same.

Why would you run a factory proportioning valve? Lower the car, change the spring rates, mix and match the brakes, for gods sake, throw a wilwood adjustable proportioning **** on there. It's cake compared to your brake mods, it's very cheap, and it's the only thing that will allow you to actually make use of them. I have one on each of my two Civics. Next to upsizing the front brakes, it's the most effective brake mod you can do.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: (mrlegoman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrlegoman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, I would run 245's if I could.
Here you go:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1752460
and
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1783081
and
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1784730</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was referring more to the diameter, not the width. Those are what, at least 1 1/2" taller than stock? How do you not rub? Do you have a higher final drive gear to compensate?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Brake Compare - GSR vs. ITR vs. NSX (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you refer to it as "GSR"? All the Integra brakes besides the ITR are the same.</TD></TR></TABLE> They came off a GSR swap. I've never dealt with any other Integra models, so I didn't know they were all the same. Now I do!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you run a factory proportioning valve? </TD></TR></TABLE>Because I've never worked on a proportioning valve setup or have anyone local that has one or has worked on one. I've done about 5 brake swaps, dozens of spring changes, sway bars, trannys, clutches, yadda-yadda. But everything I've done has stemmed from someone who actually knows what their doing showing me the correct way to do it first.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was referring more to the diameter, not the width. Those are what, at least 1 1/2" taller than stock? How do you not rub? Do you have a higher final drive gear to compensate?</TD></TR></TABLE>Sorry, I misunderstood. While doing a tire search, I could not find any R compound tires or street tires in a profile smaller then a 45 in the price range I was trying to budget myself to.
Not sure what stock it, but I was running 205/55-15's and the 225/45-17's are at least an inch taller. (I've got the math written down here somewhere)
But they rubbed like hell. Front fenders have been rolled with a baseball bat and I'm going to have to end up getting a wide aftermarket fender because mine looks like crap now (go figure).
The rears are a mess too. Had to raise the rear 1/2 inch and also beat the fenders a bit.