Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

ITR brakes vs. GSR brakes...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR brakes vs. GSR brakes...?

I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my car and I'm considering either ITR 5-lug conversion with all the brake system parts or the complete brake system off of a GSR. What I wanted to know is:

Is there a difference between the brake set up on these two other than the obvious lug pattern? I want to know if one has better brakes than the other. I don't want to spend a **** load of extra money on getting ITR rims and parts when I can have the same braking power from a GSR set up. If possible, I'd appreciate it if someone could give me specific info. like brake size, master cylinder size, etc...

btw...I have a '92 Civic DX Hatch
Old 10-04-2003, 06:15 PM
NA gs-R 05 C

Default Re: ITR brakes vs. GSR brakes...? (BNavZ)

the itr suspension itself is better then an gsr, but if you just want to know about the brakes, it has a bigger master cylinder, bigger/thicker brake rotors, and stronger calipers.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:00 PM

Default Re: ITR brakes vs. GSR brakes...? (NA gs-R 05 C)

The ITR calipers are much larger and use a pad with greater surface area and nearly twice the thickness. Basically the ITR uses the brakes from the Prelude.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Formerly of SF moved to DFW and now back in SF, CA, USA
Default Re: ITR brakes vs. GSR brakes...? (Mohudsolo)

I believe the the ITR rotors are 11.1" compared to the GSR's 10.x" rotors.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:00 PM
jag
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR brakes vs. GSR brakes...? (Gee3)

The ITR calipers were also used on some accord v6 wagons.
You can just buy the calipers and put them on a GS-R along with some larger rotors (fastbrakes.com). They are incredible!
Then you don't have to worry about replacing the hubs and other parts that you need for the 5 bolt conversion... unless of course you want to. It is slight better suspension...

-Jeremy
Old 10-04-2003, 10:32 PM

Default Re: ITR brakes vs. GSR brakes...? (jag)

I know the ITR setup has much better suspension, but I plan on getting a Tein Flex setup and of course the obvious strut and sway bars... Would you still recommend the ITR suspension even though I'm going to get these parts?

I'm trying not to get the whole 5 lug conversion to save some money. I don't think a 5 lug set up is necessary on such a small car as a civic hatch (correct me if im mistaken in any way, I think its more for bling factor rather than actual performance). At the same time I dont want to do anything detrimental to my final overall performance. I was just thinking that if I can get the same braking and handling in the end without getting the 5 lug conversion, then why spend the extra money. So with that in mind which of the following would be the better choice in terms of performance and cost:

1) complete ITR 5 lug conversion w/all brake system components
2) ITR brake MC, prop. valve, booster, and calipers. + brembo or fastbrakes front rotors + GSR rear disc conversion (basically trying to retain ITR brake set up on 4 lug setup)

If I've missed anything on the second one, Id appreciate it if someone could tell me. I apologize for the length, but I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before getting the parts. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:18 PM

Anyone...? Sorry, I'm just trying to upgrade my brakes ASAP cuz my current stock brakes aren't working right so I can't stop safely, and I'm trying to get as much info as soon as possible...
Old 10-06-2003, 07:54 AM
jag
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good to me. I don't have the ITR master/proportioning valve and it seems to work fine. A little touchy at times but I like that...
I have the fastbrakes relocating kit on the rear and ITR calipers with fastbrakes rotors on the front (I have a GS-R).

-Jeremy
Old 10-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 lug with corresponding equipment (prop. valve and MC) are what you want for the ultimate oem honda brake system on your 92 civic.

the 4 lug Integra (GSR=LS=RS=GS=SE) setup is the next step down in performance... but adequate as well to be a huge improvement over your stock civic brakes.

the 5 lug has more mass in the rotors and calipers to dissipate/avoid heat induced brake fade and uses larger brake pads. also larger rotors up front (11") to provide greater brake force per same unit of pedal pressure.

the 4lug Integra setup is much cheaper and if you are not trackracin g your car is well worth the work and usually siffiucient for anything else you will encounter. Plsu with the Integra setup you can later move on to 11" front ITR rotors with ITR calipers easily
*or*
you can keep it stock 4lug Integra and also use 13x8 wheels for aautocross or 14" wheels for daily driving.