Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Burning plastic smell

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning plastic smell

Hi, I've just bought a new fit sport model, after driving around for a while i've noticed that there was this strong burning plastic smell around the car. Anyone experience anything similar to this?

Also when i parked downhill for a while and have to back out and shift to R the car makes this semi-lound crank sound but if on flat pavement it doesnt. Any ideas if theres anything wrong?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning plastic smell (skyze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skyze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, I've just bought a new fit sport model, after driving around for a while i've noticed that there was this strong burning plastic smell around the car. Anyone experience anything similar to this?

Also when i parked downhill for a while and have to back out and shift to R the car makes this semi-lound crank sound but if on flat pavement it doesnt. Any ideas if theres anything wrong?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the burning plastic isnt plastic, it is the tires and brakes being broken into. Dont worry it'll go away very fast. I had the same thing.

As for the crank sound is the gear dropping into place a little rough, dont wory about that either because the E-brake is not fully broken into so it isn't holding like it should. I had the crank sound for a lil while but it went away after the e-brake was broken into. Also, try putting the car into Park and while holding the brake, pull the e-brake up. Then you shouldnt have a problem b/c some ppl they put the car into park but let go of the brake then pull up the e-brake which causes that unwanted sound.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 PM
ED7

Default Re: Burning plastic smell (koolkevin1107)

plastic bag could be melteing on the exhaust...that happens sometimes.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Burning plastic smell (ED7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ED7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> plastic bag could be melteing on the exhaust...that happens sometimes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any why would there be a plastic bag near the exhaust???

New cars do have some strange new smells. The interior alone is full of aroma (albeit one that isn't healthy).

The brakes may smell new for the first few hundred miles or so...the exhaust might be pungent for a bit.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Burning plastic smell (SuzukaBlueAP2)

[QUOTE=SuzukaBlueAP2]
New cars do have some strange new smells. The interior alone is full of aroma (albeit one that isn't healthy)QUOTE]

I'll second that...my FiT had the worst new car smell I've ever smelled....very glue like...I was glad it only lasted a couple days.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:28 PM
ED7

Well some times garbage is blowing around on the streets and well we drive on the streets so thats where a plastic bag would come from. It's happened to a good amount of people. Like the bags from the grocery store etc. Just a thought for the guy...most likely brakes or something normal but just giving another idea.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuzukaBlueAP2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any why would there be a plastic bag near the exhaust???</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh?? cause like you drive in the streetss?? and there are like plastic bags on the ground??? and ur exhaust hooks catch them?? duhhhh
Old 07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Burning plastic smell (Airific)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Airific &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhh?? cause like you drive in the streetss?? and there are like plastic bags on the ground??? and ur exhaust hooks catch them?? duhhhh </TD></TR></TABLE>

Apparently you are driving in all the wrong places, because I don't have any plastic bags on the streets I drive on.

on you. I was asking a legit question.