Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
G-CIV
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Header benefits on a d16y8??

Do any of you guys know if it will make much of a difference in my 97 civic coupe ex coupled with intake and exhaust piping at 2.25 and a high performance muffler to place a header on it?

I've been considering the DC Sport 4-2-1 two piece, and does anybody know much about that header(clearence, quality,etc...)

Will it make much of a difference in my power????

Modified by G-CIV at 5:15 PM 6/17/2005
G-CIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Revolver
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Revolver
Default Re: Header benefits on a d16y8?? (G-CIV)

If you search at all you will find something usefull. Take a note: typically, using an aftermarket header will be one of the most noticable power gains. This is true for practically any make or model. Non FI of course.
Vtec Protector Member #000
FS: JDM Hotness!
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
G-CIV
Garage is empty, add now

sweet, thnx for the info,...does an aftermarket intake manifold make much of a difference? like the skunk 2 one?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
Revolver
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Revolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CIV
sweet, thnx for the info,...does an aftermarket intake manifold make much of a difference? like the skunk 2 one?
Not as notable. The intake manifold goes up in effectiveness the more HP you create
Vtec Protector Member #000
FS: JDM Hotness!
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
G-CIV
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Header benefits on a d16y8?? (Revolver)

so should i buy some haeders? i mean is the difference that i will notice be worth the $250 that i would spend on some header?!
Old 06-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
AutoXer
Honda-Tech Member
2004 Volkswagen R32
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CIV
so should i buy some haeders? i mean is the difference that i will notice be worth the $250 that i would spend on some header?!
You need to spend quite a bit more time researching this site, because you've asked alot of general questions so far.

You will spend alot of money on bolt ons for that engine, and maybe gain 10hp. It's not a good $/hp benefit; and you probably won't notice any difference on the street.

You should make a plan of ultimately where you want to go. If you really want to make some power, you'll either need to build or go FI, that's where these extra parts start giving some gains by optimizing your system.

I'd wait a while, figure out what you really want to do with the car, then start researching what parts will work best for your needs and application. But if you really just want to mod your car to mod or whatever, then go ahead, but you may realise later that you wasted the money and have to buy the parts all over again.

AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
EricUSC
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to EricUSC
Default Re: Header benefits on a d16y8?? (AutoXer)

A 4-2-1 header is the way to go for daily driving for it gives the best mid-rpm gains. A 4-1 header gives better high-rpm gains, but not much mid-rpm gains if any. You will probably get at most 5 hp from a 4-2-1 header on a D16Y8. Here is a dyno graph from a Comptech 4-2-1 header on a D16Y8:

http://www.comptechusa.com/ima...t.pdf

FS: ITR A-Arms, Free Shipping!!!
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=823216

FOR SALE: 1997 Civic EX complete 4 lug brake / hub / knuckle / trailing arm assembly
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=487421
EricUSC is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
41, 421, aftermarket, benefits, charts, d16y8, difference, dyno, gains, give, header, headers, hp, intake, makes, manifold