Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 No start help

Hello all,

Car: 93 hatchback
Engine: d15b non vtec from attarco, I believe it was rebuilt about 6 yrs ago

Issue: On friday I went to start my car to leave school and it just turned and turned. The battery was strong because it turned well. Had it towed home that night. I did a mechanics spark test and tested with the spark plug and saw no spark. Replaced cap and rotor, wires and plugs, and fuel filter (I had all these collected as I was planning to do them soon anyway). Still no start.

Researched online and read through the Haynes manual. Took the distributor apart again and pulled the ICM and coil. Had them both tested. Good coil, bad ICM. Bought a new ICM and replaced. Heres where I get frustrated. I turn the engine and it starts and runs really rough for a couple seconds then dies. Tried a couple more times and no start. It just turns. However it doesnt turn as healthy anymore. Its little more slow. Battery still has 12.3 volts.

Pull the first spark plug and its all brown (after a couple of seconds of running?) and the threads have oil on them. I do suspect that the oil on the threads could be from a leaky valve cover gasket because when I pulled the original plugs, there was a little oil in the hole. So I think that residual oil remains on the threading for the spark plugs on the head. Ran a compression test on the head. I pulled all the wires out to kill spark. I actually forgot to kill the fuel. Turned the engine for about 5 seconds and compression was barely above 100. Somewhere at 110 probably. Manual says it should be at 135. At that point I was so discouraged I just decided to start this thread. Any help would be useful. Thanks.

Edit: I am beginning to suspect blown head gasket but that wouldnt cause the car to not start at all right? Just run crappy?

Edit 2: This is the order i have the plugs in. Alot of pics from google have this order so I went with it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No start help

Bump. Nothing? Anybody?