Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Quick motor mount question (Steel)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quick motor mount question (Steel)

I have billet motor mounts and the inserts are torn and actually missing on the one side of a couple of them. Long story short, they came with the swap and I used them.

I'm looking to get new mounts because these are causing issues now.

Looking at innovative steel/billet mounts. Is there a difference in power they can handle? I'm only planning on making 300hp~. I've read mixed information on this part.

I would like to go with 75A Steel innovative motor mounts. Just want to make sure that's a decent choice.

1989 Hatch
B16A turbo
Cable trans

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quick motor mount question (Steel)

If youre getting innovative poly mounts it is a question if whether of not you want pretty shiny billet or not. I got steel cause it was cheaper and did the same job. If you get solid mounts you have to get billet because it's just all they offer. Plus a solid hunk of steel would be really heavy lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went with Avid racing tuner series which are 62a and they are decent mounts. I was looking to go maybe a little stiffer but actually not sure its needed. After looking into it at my power level I think anymore would be OK just as long as it wasn't more money. I do not feel stiffer would yield much if any real gain in anything. I am putting down 305whp now myself.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll go steel then. Pretty much decided. 60A vs 75A inserts hasn't really crossed my mind but I was going to go slightly stiffer than what I supposedly have now.

Thanks of the power confirmation too diatibe24. I'm not doing anything crazy, so I was hoping that was the case.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not so much how much power you make, it's more to do with what you do with the power. If you're launching on slicks (or radials for that matter) at the drag strip, anything that allows movement will allow stuff to break more readily.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still on street tires with hopes of just upgrading the rubber to something more track oriented (still DOT legal) for events. Drag racing is definitely the intended purpose.

Are you saying billet will move less than steel?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I'm saying that poly will move more than solid. I had 90a, and my up-pipe started to hit the hole in my hood after a while. You could actually see a bit of light on one side of the rear mount where the poly had been beat down launch after launch. It lasted about 4 years of street/track driving though, so it did its job in my opinion.

As for tires, get slicks. Swap wheels at the track. Real drag slicks are the single best thing you can do to your car for drag racing. DOT "slicks" are heavy. Real slicks are so much lighter and they cost the same as DOT equivalent ones anyway. You'll break less and go faster. Win win.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tippyman
No, I'm saying that poly will move more than solid. I had 90a, and my up-pipe started to hit the hole in my hood after a while. You could actually see a bit of light on one side of the rear mount where the poly had been beat down launch after launch. It lasted about 4 years of street/track driving though, so it did its job in my opinion.

As for tires, get slicks. Swap wheels at the track. Real drag slicks are the single best thing you can do to your car for drag racing. DOT "slicks" are heavy. Real slicks are so much lighter and they cost the same as DOT equivalent ones anyway. You'll break less and go faster. Win win.
Okay, I understand what you were saying now. I think poly will be fine. I don't track the car very often. I definitely will just pick up some slicks and drag them around for track days.

Thanks, this thread has been helpful.

One last question. My current mounts have a gap between the poly insert and the stock motor mount 'area'. I don't know what to call it. Is that okay? Or should the bushing fill the entire area?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Okay, I understand what you were saying now. I think poly will be fine. I don't track the car very often. I definitely will just pick up some slicks and drag them around for track days.

Thanks, this thread has been helpful.

One last question. My current mounts have a gap between the poly insert and the stock motor mount 'area'. I don't know what to call it. Is that okay? Or should the bushing fill the entire area?
You mean the vehicles "bracket" is wider than the mount?

Tightening the bolt down should pull it in unless it's real bad.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You mean the vehicles "bracket" is wider than the mount?

Tightening the bolt down should pull it in unless it's real bad.
Yes, the 'bracket' is wider than the motor mount. It's pretty noticeable. The factory motor mounts filled the bracket. I'd say it was probably half an inch or so. Do they make 'inserts' for situations like that? I'll search and see what I can find. I thought I'd mention it for now.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Washers could be a ghetto method but a piece of 3/16" steel lining both insides of the mount bracket would be better.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Washers could be a ghetto method but a piece of 3/16" steel lining both insides of the mount bracket would be better.
We have plate steel at work. I'll grab some different thickness. I have a Christmas tree bit at home so I should be able to fab something up.

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe try something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121234829067...84.m1423.l2649
Old 07-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by diatibe24
Lol no