Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: La Gallina Industries / Humble Performance SFWD Turbo K Project

Originally Posted by 13173
Nice!!! It will get better I am sure.
Thanks man!

we have some adjustments and changes to make, but this is a good baseline to go off of
Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How is it driving g on the street with the 67?
Old 11-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KWPTUNING
With a 2.4 and the backhousing I had on the 67mm it was a beast, even on wastegate spring. There was not a lot of lag at all. I had the 6765 with the vband inlet .82 exhaust housing. Put it this way, it went 110mph in the 1/8th on wastegate spring and pump 93 in my car. I had a tial 60mm and wastegate spring pressure was roughly 15psi on my setup.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove mine not too long ago, definitely need to either get a bigger WG or a different manifold :-/

With a 2.4 and the backhousing I had on the 67mm it was a beast, even on wastegate spring. There was not a lot of lag at all. I had the 6765 with the vband inlet .82 exhaust housing. Put it this way, it went 110mph in the 1/8th on wastegate spring and pump 93 in my car. I had a tial 60mm and wastegate spring pressure was roughly 15psi on my setup.
BEAST!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car sounds fun. And 110mph in the 1/8th is moving. I have always had b series but have been looking at the k series a lot more lately. How has it been reliability wise?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^
LoL Its as reliable as your tune and parts/fuel.

OP: NICE PROGRESS!!!

Why are you needing another manifold?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car sounds fun. And 110mph in the 1/8th is moving. I have always had b series but have been looking at the k series a lot more lately. How has it been reliability wise?
The engines are really strong in stock form, especially the K20A2 and the K24A2. There have been several K20A2's with completely stock bottom ends that have been pushed well past 600whp and they hold just fine. Some have eclipsed the 800whp mark on stock rods, pistons, and sleeves. You throw a set of rods and pistons and some decent valvesprings in them and add a 62,64, or 67mm turbo on them and you have a monster. My setup was a budget setup, everything was bought on a deal and it easily made 520whp on wastegate spring and pump gas. I thought about tuning it on Q16 and really pushing it, maxing out the fuel system more than likely. Figured it would have made in the area of 750whp, I had enough pump and injector for that, but I never did it. The biggest downfall to the K engines is the stock transmission. B series transmission in stock form are stronger. I made nine 1/8th mile passes on my car with the suspension all screwed up. Made some adjustments to that and went back to the track to test it out and the first pass 2nd gear was destroyed. It was a brand new gear too. Chunks of 2nd gear went into other gears and well that transmission is now history. I looked around for a used gearset or transmission, but personally could not justify spending that type of money on that particular car. Even thought about making it class legal and trying to do some legit racing with it, but just do not have the drive or want a racecar right now.

Some have good luck with stock transmissions and get many passes out of them on higher power levels. I didn't and called it quits on that setup, not to mention I have another project that I really want to finish up. I sold the manifold, turbo, and shortblock. But for the limited driving I did with the car and the passes I made on the track, it was really fun on low boost and was easily a low 10sec and maybe a high 9 sec car on a really good day.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2000CTRSi
^^^
LoL Its as reliable as your tune and parts/fuel.

OP: NICE PROGRESS!!!

Why are you needing another manifold?
i'm running a 10psi spring and i cannot boost less than 18psi for some reason, it could either be horrible boost creep or maybe an issue in the boost parameters of some sort. So while we try and figure out if it's the parameters, i've put it up for sale just in case it's the manifold.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have a 60mm gate ?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2000CTRSi
You have a 60mm gate ?
PTE 46mm

I want to run a 60mm :-) so either i send out the mani to get flanges swapped or just get a new manifold with a 60mm flange
Old 11-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by DKPR87
i'm running a 10psi spring and i cannot boost less than 18psi for some reason, it could either be horrible boost creep or maybe an issue in the boost parameters of some sort. So while we try and figure out if it's the parameters, i've put it up for sale just in case it's the manifold.
I had the same problem with my setup. I had a Tial Large Yellow 8 PSI spring in my car with a single 44mm Tial gate. Car was always at 17psi in first, changed the gate spring to a blue and got it down to 12.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I had the same problem with my setup. I had a Tial Large Yellow 8 PSI spring in my car with a single 44mm Tial gate. Car was always at 17psi in first, changed the gate spring to a blue and got it down to 12.
If i could get it at 10psi i'd be happy lol, i know that 10psi would still spin the tires a bit but it's a hell of a lot better than 18 hahaha
Old 11-10-2014, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PTE 46mm

I want to run a 60mm :-) so either i send out the mani to get flanges swapped or just get a new manifold with a 60mm flange
Had a 60mm gate on mine, I don't know what spring was in the gate because I never looked :/. But, I was warned by a couple people that have really fast cars that my car may act like their race cars. They said no matter what spring they put into the gate their setup was still going to run around 20psi worth of boost on wastegate spring. They were exactly right, my car would run roughly 17psi on the spring and would not go lower. I was advised to maybe put a full exhaust on the car to choke it up a little and that could possibly help since it was a street car, but I never did. At first I was worried that 17psi in 1-2nd gear would be too much on the track, but it wasn't really. At least not for my car on a decent track. Took it to a garbage track twice and it would really blow the tires off on the hit, but it would start hooking 2nd.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had a 60mm gate on mine, I don't know what spring was in the gate because I never looked :/. But, I was warned by a couple people that have really fast cars that my car may act like their race cars. They said no matter what spring they put into the gate their setup was still going to run around 20psi worth of boost on wastegate spring. They were exactly right, my car would run roughly 17psi on the spring and would not go lower. I was advised to maybe put a full exhaust on the car to choke it up a little and that could possibly help since it was a street car, but I never did. At first I was worried that 17psi in 1-2nd gear would be too much on the track, but it wasn't really. At least not for my car on a decent track. Took it to a garbage track twice and it would really blow the tires off on the hit, but it would start hooking 2nd.
I'm not wanting it to run like a stock car, i know that there will be issues but there has to be a way to get to boost less in the lower gears, be it through retarding ignition or re-visit the wastegate setup :-/
Old 11-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not wanting it to run like a stock car, i know that there will be issues but there has to be a way to get to boost less in the lower gears, be it through retarding ignition or re-visit the wastegate setup :-/
There are certainly ways to do it, no doubt about that. You have more room in your car and a wastegate or manifold change might do it for you. I had limited space to work with and didn't want to really try to correct it on my car.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are certainly ways to do it, no doubt about that. You have more room in your car and a wastegate or manifold change might do it for you. I had limited space to work with and didn't want to really try to correct it on my car.
I friend of mine is running a 6266 with the same manifold and tial 44mm gate if i'm not mistaken, and is running looooow boost, it's certainly possible. Our builds are slightly different but i doubt that those differences account for a 12-14psi difference in boost levels when going off the gate... it has to be something in the calibration
Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If i could get it at 10psi i'd be happy lol, i know that 10psi would still spin the tires a bit but it's a hell of a lot better than 18 hahaha
Yeah every time I was at the track it would be right around 17 psi with the Large Yellow spring which is an 8.7 psi spring. We changed the spring with the small green which is a 5.8 psi spring and was able to get it down to 12 psi in first.

By the way I did all this on Friday for my NHRA License passes. This is also pretty weird but I am running Weld 13x9 rims with M&H 24.5 x 8.5 slicks. The lower the tire pressure the worse my 60fts. I was telling everyone that the less tire pressure the worse it was but everyone was like no way. So this is how the passes went, first pass was on 7 psi of tire pressure, had a 1.64 60ft. The next two passes were at 6 psi and my 60 went into 1.7's and 1.8's. My 4th pass I said let's put air back in so we ran 8 psi and my 60 foot was a 1.61. My 5th pass we added another .5 so I was at 8.5 psi of tire pressure and the next 60ft was 1.58.

Now if I put a small red gate spring in which is one step below the green I could have probably got down to 10 psi. Then the more air in the slicks my 60ft. went down. I am sure everyone has different things that work for them but this is what worked for me. Got a 10.0 pass
Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah every time I was at the track it would be right around 17 psi with the Large Yellow spring which is an 8.7 psi spring. We changed the spring with the small green which is a 5.8 psi spring and was able to get it down to 12 psi in first.

By the way I did all this on Friday for my NHRA License passes. This is also pretty weird but I am running Weld 13x9 rims with M&H 24.5 x 8.5 slicks. The lower the tire pressure the worse my 60fts. I was telling everyone that the less tire pressure the worse it was but everyone was like no way. So this is how the passes went, first pass was on 7 psi of tire pressure, had a 1.64 60ft. The next two passes were at 6 psi and my 60 went into 1.7's and 1.8's. My 4th pass I said let's put air back in so we ran 8 psi and my 60 foot was a 1.61. My 5th pass we added another .5 so I was at 8.5 psi of tire pressure and the next 60ft was 1.58.

Now if I put a small red gate spring in which is one step below the green I could have probably got down to 10 psi. Then the more air in the slicks my 60ft. went down. I am sure everyone has different things that work for them but this is what worked for me. Got a 10.0 pass
I swapped out for a small white, which is about 5.9 psi, just the other day, i'm going to do a quick pull in 3rd on fixed duty cycle to see what the minimum boost is.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I swapped out for a small white, which is about 5.9 psi, just the other day, i'm going to do a quick pull in 3rd on fixed duty cycle to see what the minimum boost is.
Hopefully it cuts you down a bit.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully it cuts you down a bit.
I hope so too