brake/abs light stay on

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake/abs light stay on

just got my brake master cylinder replaced on my teg
drove it home fine, brakes feel good.
chilled at a friends for a bit then when im gettin ready to leave my brake light and my abs lights are on. even while im driving they stay on....
any advice? ill try taking look at hanes and searching online tommorow
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake/abs light stay on

i have a 96 gsr and mine comes on and off all the time.. a few of my friends that have about the same year does it too... i notice a little difference when it comes on and off..
Old 07-08-2010, 04:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Spoon Integra
i have a 96 gsr and mine comes on and off all the time.. a few of my friends that have about the same year does it too... i notice a little difference when it comes on and off..
Yea the abs light will turn on and off but not the brake light.

If your brake light wasn't on before the MC was R&R'd id bring it back to the shop and have them fix that ****, put your foot down. most shops take advantage and they'll try sayin u have another problem.

Check your fluid in the MC, if that aint full that's probaly where the brake light is coming from, maybe the shop you had do the MC didn't fill it up for some reason? If it is empty you may have a leak, or they didn't put the bleeder tight enough.

If you MC is full, there are two wires going into the mc that may not have been re- connected, if those are connected there is a switch on your e-brake that may be bad or disconnected, but I doubt it has to do with the ebrake

Originally Posted by tAcOmAz FiNeSt
ill try taking look at hanes and searching online tommorow
This should help you out searching for answers...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/how-use-honda-tech-search-engine-2585253/

If not usually if you google your question 95% of the time a honda-tech thread will come up

Last edited by EHondaJDM; 07-08-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EHondaJDM
Yea the abs light will turn on and off but not the brake light.

If your brake light wasn't on before the MC was R&R'd id bring it back to the shop and have them fix that ****, put your foot down. most shops take advantage and they'll try sayin u have another problem.

Check your fluid in the MC, if that aint full that's probaly where the brake light is coming from, maybe the shop you had do the MC didn't fill it up for some reason? If it is empty you may have a leak, or they didn't put the bleeder tight enough.

If you MC is full, there are two wires going into the mc that may not have been re- connected, if those are connected there is a switch on your e-brake that may be bad or disconnected, but I doubt it has to do with the ebrake

This should help you out searching for answers...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2585253

If not usually if you google your question 95% of the time a honda-tech thread will come up
so i took a look at it and it is leaking at the place where the mc connects to the body of the car. the mc is new and i lost lots of fluids. were the brakes bled wrong? i took it to a backyard mechanic (mistake #1) i know i know i f'd up but i was rlly low on money.. anyways the mechanic says that the mc is messed up and i should get another one.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so i took a look at it and it is leaking at the place where the mc connects to the body of the car. the mc is new and i lost lots of fluids. were the brakes bled wrong? i took it to a backyard mechanic (mistake #1) i know i know i f'd up but i was rlly low on money.. anyways the mechanic says that the mc is messed up and i should get another one.
**** happens man times r rough that y u gotta learn ya know?
the mc shouldn't leak into the booster its a sealed unit where did u get it?
If its a store they should give u another one tell them it was defective
Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a seal that goes between the mc and brake booster. sounds like the mechanic forgot to install it or installed it incorrectly.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** happens man times r rough that y u gotta learn ya know?
the mc shouldn't leak into the booster its a sealed unit where did u get it?
If its a store they should give u another one tell them it was defective
i got it from autozone and i think they will replace it.
i called a speedfactory over here and they said that when you replace the mc u should replace the booster and the oil could have leaked into the booster
i called other places and they all say somthing different. im on VERY low budget i only got 40 bucks thats supposed to last me a few weeks....
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i talked to few auto stores and they say that i might have gotten the wrong bore size,
there is 1inch and 15/17s and that might be cause of problem how do i know what size my car takes?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so i talked to few auto stores and they say that i might have gotten the wrong bore size,
there is 1inch and 15/17s and that might be cause of problem how do i know what size my car takes?
I never even heard that before man I couldn't tell you...
Maybe measure the metal rim that goes into the booster and see if its a inch
Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so i took the car to a mechanic today and he says the mc is bad, and he says that the brake booster is also bad, we looked under the car and there is a really bad brake fluid leak almost directly under the brake pedal, every mechanic i go to gives me a different answer
WTF
Old 07-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can usually loosen the MC from the booster and pull it forward slightly on the lines, leaving the other connection intact. There will likely be brake fluid in the booster mating surface, not necessarily in the booster, as there is a lip in the booster that you can feel with your finger. Dry the area with towels and then roll up a long narrow piece of paper towel and feed it down the booster. It is tedious but I have done it. If it leaked inside, you will likely get brake fluid in the end of the rolled towel wick. You could leak a small amount inside and perhaps not find it, but not much. Leaving off the gasket from the back of the MC usually causes pedal pressure problems, not fluid leak, as the gasket helps seal the MC-booster interface. There is a recent thread here about MC and gasket. For safety, you can change the booster, but if no fluid inside, it may not be necessary. I had the last MC done by a mechanic and had a small amount of fluid on the booster behind the MC at the interface of the two. There is a fair lip on the booster that let fluid out the booster-MC, without entering the booster. Boosters are not cheap, especially if you are paying labor. You can test the booster to see of it is mechanically bad, and use the wick to detect leak. Leak will make it mechanically bad eventually.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok, so i took the car to a mechanic today and he says the mc is bad, and he says that the brake booster is also bad, we looked under the car and there is a really bad brake fluid leak almost directly under the brake pedal, every mechanic i go to gives me a different answer
WTF

Thats exactly why u get the haynes manual and DIY next time dude

u just paid some dweeb to fukc your **** up more
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats exactly why u get the haynes manual and DIY next time dude

u just paid some dweeb to fukc your **** up more
agreed

try it for yourself first, and if you EF it up then take it in