Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic (2006 - Current)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Junior Member
2006 Honda Civic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Honda Fluids vs others

hey guys, I'm about to do a brake fluid change, change my mtf, and top off my other fluids. Do you think that Honda fluids are really "better" then lets say some other companies?
Jordanasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,001
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Honda Fluids vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanasm View Post
hey guys, I'm about to do a brake fluid change, change my mtf, and top off my other fluids. Do you think that Honda fluids are really "better" then lets say some other companies?
Here is my view based on years of owning Hondas:

Brake fluid -- any high quality aftermarket brake fluid is fine.

Hydraulic clutch fluid -- see brake fluid above.

Manual transmission fluid -- Honda OEM bought from dealer. I would not rule out some of the recommendations for other MTFs here, though. I would never use motor oil in the transmission; use of motor oil is outdated due to industry changes in motor oil additives.

Power steering fluid -- aftermarket stores like Autozone, Pep Boys and Napa sell a Honda specific PS fluid that is fine. Just make sure the aftermarket fluid container says it is for Hondas. Failing to get the Honda specific fluid can destroy the seals on the PS system.

Coolant -- either Honda OEM or orange Havoline Dexcool. The Dexcool says it is specifically designed for aluminum yada engines requiring yada. I have been using the Dexcool since 2002. I buy the undiluted version and then add distilled water. Do not use tap water.

Engine oil -- any good motor oil appropriate to the age of the engine is fine.
__________________
Elle
91 Civic LX, 93 Civic DX, 03 Civic LX
honda.lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Junior Member
2006 Honda Civic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Honda Fluids vs others

^ thank you.
Jordanasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
CerealKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern Cali, Estados Unidos
Posts: 1,318
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Honda Fluids vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda.lioness View Post
Here is my view based on years of owning Hondas:

Brake fluid -- any high quality aftermarket brake fluid is fine.

Hydraulic clutch fluid -- see brake fluid above.

Manual transmission fluid -- Honda OEM bought from dealer. I would not rule out some of the recommendations for other MTFs here, though. I would never use motor oil in the transmission; use of motor oil is outdated due to industry changes in motor oil additives.

Power steering fluid -- aftermarket stores like Autozone, Pep Boys and Napa sell a Honda specific PS fluid that is fine. Just make sure the aftermarket fluid container says it is for Hondas. Failing to get the Honda specific fluid can destroy the seals on the PS system.

Coolant -- either Honda OEM or orange Havoline Dexcool. The Dexcool says it is specifically designed for aluminum yada engines requiring yada. I have been using the Dexcool since 2002. I buy the undiluted version and then add distilled water. Do not use tap water.

Engine oil -- any good motor oil appropriate to the age of the engine is fine.
Very well put.
__________________

CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
New User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Honda Fluids vs others

I'll always use Catrol 5 30 or 5 30 highmileage
djblive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
B*a*n*n*e*d
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Mifflin, Pa, USA
Posts: 764
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Honda Fluids vs others

I believe amsoil fluids are much better than OEM fluids. Go to their site and look at the specifications for the fluids. The temperature thresholds and most of the results from the tests prove them to be better.

Honda is not a fluid company, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, etc. are

The test results that AMSOIL displays are by third party I believe.
ajpturbopittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #7
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Retribution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 56
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Honda Fluids vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh View Post
I believe amsoil fluids are much better than OEM fluids. Go to their site and look at the specifications for the fluids. The temperature thresholds and most of the results from the tests prove them to be better.

Honda is not a fluid company, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, etc. are

The test results that AMSOIL displays are by third party I believe.
Honda doesn't make their own fluids, the fluids are made by fluid companies and put in a bottle that says honda.
Retribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Occupy GDD
Garage is empty, add now
 
Alex_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 717
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Honda Fluids vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh View Post
I believe amsoil fluids are much better than OEM fluids. Go to their site and look at the specifications for the fluids. The temperature thresholds and most of the results from the tests prove them to be better.

Honda is not a fluid company, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, etc. are

The test results that AMSOIL displays are by third party I believe.
For most drivers off the shelf fluids will allow your vehicle to last a long time. If you plan to drag/auto-x/boost your vehicle AMSOIL fluids would be an excellent choice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.a.w. View Post
I know a dude who let me do number 2 on his wife
Alex_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Junior Member
2006 Honda Civic
 
ChargedSI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posts: 381
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Honda Fluids vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_G View Post
For most drivers off the shelf fluids will allow your vehicle to last a long time. If you plan to drag/auto-x/boost your vehicle AMSOIL fluids would be an excellent choice.
I would agree. If your not slamming the motor for gross performance, OEM fluid would be just fine and save you a ton of money.
ChargedSI is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Tags
1993, accord, acura, brake, buy, dexcool, fluid, fluids, honda, mtf, oem, others, recommendation, rsx, tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:15 PM.



2008 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details