Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

ticking sound injectors or valves (video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking sound injectors or valves (video)

please just let me know what u think the sound is. most of clicking is coming from the injectors but im not to sure.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/59Ytv9YCLno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

in case that doesnt work heres a link for youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Ytv9YCLno
Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ticking sound injectors or valves (video)

It sounds like to me like a loose valve tappet.I have adjusted my valves and others 100s of times and that sounds like valve lash issues.You said it was just rebuilt?Do you think is possible that someone might of mixed up the cam caps or cracked or broke one of the cap bolts allowing the cam to flex enough to change the valve lash.I know the cam cap bolts break real easy from personal experience.But it is not hard to pull the valve cover and examine the cams for abnormal wear or marks.Good luck.......Peace
Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually bro when i got the motor back i had to put the cam seals and i fugen broke one of the bolts that hold the fifth exhaust cam cap down. there is no visible play and its not loose or hanging at all and is still being held tight by the second bolt, but maybe thats what wrong. could that be it?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cam cap specs are tight u know because of the lack of bearings but i see where you are coming from and not trying to be a dick.But you can't watch the cams spin with the crankcase cover off and even if did you would no be able to see.you would need to set up a dial indicator but enough on that.Did you adjust the valve lash cold or hot?I imagine it will only take you ten minutes to pull the valve cover off and look closely at the cam and recheck your lash.I know i have made a mistake by being confused of what cylinder was at top dead center.When i was building a motor for my brother i had 3 break off and had to put in thread inserts.After removing those bolts and or wear from mileage those bolts stretch and the heads twist.If the came is wobbling or lifting up it could be catastrophic or wear the cam journals out of spec.Sorry about your luck.Hope you fix it again soon.Just to keep another honda on the road.Peace
Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slayer423
actually bro when i got the motor back i had to put the cam seals and i fugen broke one of the bolts that hold the fifth exhaust cam cap down. there is no visible play and its not loose or hanging at all and is still being held tight by the second bolt, but maybe thats what wrong. could that be it?
so you have 1 bolt holding the cap?

if so.... not a very smart thing to do
Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^yea not at all...the motor is obvioulsy going to heat up and expand causing who knows what to happen? The other cam cap bolt might have so much stress it could break aswell....then you got youself a whole diffrent problem. i would fix that asap.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Omg omgomg this post just helped me figuere out whats wrong wiy my car...<3 cam caps is the magic word
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i popped my valve cover once again and literally one of the screws holding one of the rocker arms was way out of spec, i guess i must hve forgot to tighten it before i put everything back together. and car sounds relly smooth and tomorow im off to machine shop to get that cam bolt drilled out.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job bro.I have been a mechanic for 15 years and i have made the same mistake as well about a year ago.Good thing i use that royal purple becuase i had to drive 35 miles to get both of my kids.Let me know how you make out.Peace