Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Problem

My EG Civic is idling strangely. It pulsates from 800-1200 rpm. Like 1 second high, 1 second low. Recently I did a bunch of stuff to the car:

-Removed air con system
-Removed some other electrical components: rear wiper motor, sunroof, alarm system
-Removed cruise control
-Removed stock battery
-Installed Baker lightweight battery in rear or car
-Installed master electrical kill switch

I ripped out the AC components and rear wiper and sunroof assemblies; a professional race car prep shop did the rest. Any ideas about what could be causing the pulsating idle? I'm wondering if it has to do with the AC removal. I just removed all the components: evaporator, condenser, compressor, compressor belt, various pipes, etc. But I left a thin metal pipe in there, plugging in up only with some duct tape. I think the pipe was a suction line going to the evaporator. It is attached to a cylindrical thing that is located in the right-front of the engine bay (if you are standing in front of the car looking in), which I also did not remove. I'm not sure what this cylindrical thing is. On page 22-3 of my Helm Manual there are arrows pointing at the top and bottom of it saying "Sight Glass" and "Receiver and Filter/Dryer". What is this cylidrical thing? Can I remove it? Do you think my idle problem is related in any way to my AC removal?

The other possibility I considered is that the small Baker battery is not giving the car enough juice. But once the car is started, doesn't the alternator take over and supply the car's electrical needs?

The car runs fine otherwise. The idle dips low but doesn't stall. I've driven it several hundred miles with no other problems. Thanks in advance for any advice. As you can tell I am a total mechanical newbie.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:08 AM
New User

Default Re: Idle Problem (dyg2001)

Might check the grounds, also Honda's need the full 12 volts to operate correctly.

Has the level been checked in the rad, along with all the air being bleed out of the system... Trapped air will cause the ECT sensor to send bogus signals to the ECU, causing the above mentioned. Next would be some kind of vacuum leak...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle Problem (88_SC_CRX_Si)

Thanks, I'll check those possibilities out.
Can removing the AC cause a vacuum leak?
How can I track down the source of a vacuum leak?
Do you know what that cylindrical thing is behind the driver's side headlamp, that the AC hoses were plugged into? Can I remove it?
Old 05-06-2003, 01:17 PM
2.7(p/t)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Idle Problem (dyg2001)

removing your ac system can not cause a vacum leak.
you can track a vacum leak by doing a smoke test (its where you put smoke in your intake manifold and and see where it comes out from, wehere ever it comes from is your leak)
the silver canister that i belive that you are refering to is the AC filter, yes you can take that out. there is a bracket that holds it i belive.

do you have any check engine lights, a common symptom of a surging idle is an IACV (idle air control valve)

hope that helps
-sander