Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Grinding noise...argh!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 07:21 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise...argh!

Hey guys. I really need some help here... I drive a 2000 SiR(Si). On the bright side, this problem does not happen everytime. Only happen once in a while, but I'm scared $hitless about it since this is my baby.

What's happening is that I'm driving along and I need to slow down to turn, so I start to downshift from 4 to 3 to 2. When I get into 2nd gear, I start pressing on the brakes...while at the same time pressing my clutch pedal in so I won't stall...and all of a sudden, I hear some kind of grinding noise....it sounds kinda like a combination of grinding and something is stuck...hard for me to describe.

It also happens when I'm in 2nd and wanting to come to a complete stop at a traffic light. I'm pressing the clutch in and putting the car into neutral...when the car is in neutral, I press on the brakes and there goes the grinding noise again.

Is there something wrong with my 2nd gear? Some people from the civic forum say it might be my rotors.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:58 AM
New User

Default Re: Grinding noise...argh! (KooKaT91)

Well....I have my clutch pedal pressed and brake pedal pressed when it makes that noise.... Some people say it might be the brake pads or it could be the rotors....

There is no jerking when it does that....at least there's nothing that I feel... The car is coming to a stop but making that noise at the same time.

The last time I took it in for a checkup was 4 months ago and I brought it to a Honda dealership...it has been brought back to Honda for all checkups. I will be bringing it in again in beginning of January...

I don't drive my car that often though. I would say within the 4 months period I probably put on 2000 to 3000 KMs. Ummm...that would roughly be 1200 to 1800 miles...I think.
Old 12-30-2001, 03:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Grinding noise...argh! (lliew)

up
Old 12-30-2001, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing just happened to my friend. Does it sound like the grinding is right under or like right in front of your feet? Is your clutch slipping at all? The same thing was going on with my friends car about 3 months ago. He would downshift and hear like a scraping noise. It was his tranny moving out of place and the he started leaking tranny oil onto his clutch. If it's the same thing, your clutch will start slipping like crazy b/c the tranny fluid is rushing in there with it. Is it still under warranty? If so, take it back to the dealership.

Jonathan
Old 12-31-2001, 11:08 AM
New User

Default Re: Grinding noise...argh! (PeloTudo)

You know it kinda sounds like what you said....the sound seems to come from underneath and from the front.

It only happens when I press the brake though....not when I downshift.

I don't know how a clutch slipping feels like though. I just learnt how to drive manual at the beginning of summer.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, take it to the dealer if it's still under warranty. That's what my friends did. However, on his, as it got worse, instead of just doing it when he downshifted, it would do it when he idled and then when he would take off. You would know when your clutch is slipping. When you take off and drop the clutch you go (this is normal working conditions). When you take off and drop the clutch your engine will rev up and go...but hesitate...Think of it like.....when you push your brakes in dry weather....the pads hit the rotors and you stop....now think of it when you push your brakes when it's raining or when you have oil on the rotors....you wont stop nearly as good and the pads/rotors will slip on each other more than with dry conditions....same thing for your clutch...the better the clutch the quicker it catches when you pull your foot up off the pedal.....This was a REALLY BAD metaphor, but I hope I explained it reasonably... With a car that new, you shouldn't have a slipping clutch yet...take it to the dealership and tell them to fix it or you're going to buy a Ford (Most people would rather shoot themselves than let someone buy a Ford )

Jonathan
Old 01-01-2002, 02:42 PM
New User

Default Re: Grinding noise...argh! (PeloTudo)

Thanks a lot man. I'm gonna go bring the car into the dealer in this month. I'll get them to take a look at both the clutch and the rotors.

I hope nothing major is wrong....