Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

2013 CR Rear Camber Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 CR Rear Camber Question

I have a 2013 CRV with 3300 miles on the odometer. I was concerned about alignment because of some minor scuffing I was seeing on the outside edges of the front tires. My untrained eye sees no problem with tire wear on the rear tires. I took it to a local shop with a good reputation for alignment because I trust them more than a typical car dealership for alignment. They checked it out and told me that the front alignment was within spec and that the rear camber was -2.5 degrees on the drivers side and -2.0 degrees on the passenger side. They said it would take a camber kit to correct the camber and that I should take it back to the dealer to get this resolved since the car is so new. They charged me nothing for this work. I was surprised by the results because I really do not see any abnormal wear on the rear tires.

I took it to the dealer and explained my experience at the other shop. Told the dealer which shop had inspected it because the shop has a local reputation that the dealer is familiar with. The dealer checked the alignment and said they adjusted the toe and that all was correct. I did not get any print out of before and after alignment data.

It appears this could turn into a contest for me to figure out what to do next. The alignment with the camber kit won't be cheap. The shop estimated parts and labor at close to $600. The easy approach is probably to see how the tires all wear between now and around 10,000 miles and then relook at my options based on the results of tire wear at that point.

Does anyone have any idea about the range of acceptable camber according to Honda? Perhaps Honda thinks -2.5 degrees is acceptable.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 2013 CR Rear Camber Question

Is the suspension modified in any way? If not I don't see how you need a kit to correct stock suspension on a relatively new STOCK vehicle.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2013 CR Rear Camber Question

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Is the suspension modified in any way? If not I don't see how you need a kit to correct stock suspension on a relatively new STOCK vehicle.
The car is stock and I am far from an expert on car suspension. According to the alignment shop, this car, and apparently many others, has no provision for adjusting the rear wheel camber angle. It appears a camber kit will need to be installed in order to adjust the camber angle when needed.

Anyone familiar with the acceptable range of rear wheel camber according to Honda?