Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Stumped! 4th Gen No Start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped! 4th Gen No Start!

Whats up everyone. I need advice on a very frustrating mind boggling no start issue on my 94 Si with JDM F22b swap. Car ran fine up until last week when I jumped in to go for a drive and the car was in limp mode, wouldn't rev over 3000rpm. Only drove about a mile or two and parked the car. Thought maybe my crank sensor went but later that day, I went to start the car and it would not start. No fuel, no spark, engine cranks normal, tried 3 main relays, 2 good ICMs, 2 p39 ECUs, a P14 ECU, reset ECUs, all fuses are good. Fuel pump works fine when bench tested. Checked all grounds especially thermostat housing, wiring seems fine. Ignition is relatively new but a little sticky sometimes. I have been trying to figure this out with a Honda buddy and it has us both stumped. Any ideas on why it went into limp then no start with no fuel, no spark? Checked everything I can think of or find online as to why it just crapped out all of a sudden but am getting nowhere. I need help!
Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Stumped! 4th Gen No Start!

Any idea what had it in limp mode when it was still running, before the ecu swaps and such? I.e.what code.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not really sure why it went into limp in first place. Read about crank sensor but idk. No codes..forgot to mention solid CEL ( has been on due to TPS but it stays on when key turned and when DTC plug jumped). It was really hot day and car was parked in direct sun. I dont know what else could cause this issue. Now there were plugs on wire harness near abs and fuse box location(big harness with round plugs, one maybe blue and not sure about other one) that were POSSIBLY switched and connected to wrong mating plug but was immediately switched back, never driven like that and ran fine for a week after so that shouldn't have been an issue. Got me mind boggled. Any help is soooo much appreciated in advance!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JapHeartSwap
Not really sure why it went into limp in first place. Read about crank sensor but idk. No codes..forgot to mention solid CEL ( has been on due to TPS but it stays on when key turned and when DTC plug jumped). It was really hot day and car was parked in direct sun. I dont know what else could cause this issue. Now there were plugs on wire harness near abs and fuse box location(big harness with round plugs, one maybe blue and not sure about other one) that were POSSIBLY switched and connected to wrong mating plug but was immediately switched back, never driven like that and ran fine for a week after so that shouldn't have been an issue. Got me mind boggled. Any help is soooo much appreciated in advance!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone? Someone has to have some input or knowledge on this....
Old 07-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your distributor maybe the igniter in your distributor has failed....

Good Luck
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info NZKIWIS...I thought about it since Ive already changed the ICM. Would that create the no fuel issue as well tho? All symptoms point to main relay but havent had a chance to test the ones I have without a meter. I just picked up a multimeter and continuity tester. Gonna use them tomorrow to see if I can locate the fault. Checked back of block today and knock sensor was covered in oil so I cleaned it up. Car has been down for over a week now and its hurting me not having anywheels to get where I need to go so Im hoping I can figure out the issue tomorrow and be relieved of the prelude curse! Updates to follow.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update on issue...Now after testing the main relay(tests good), the fuel pump is getting juice but is CONTINUOUSLY RUNNING with key on the II position! Could my Main Relay test good even tho its bad(possibly stuck)? The back up fuse had blown so I replaced it and now thats what is happening but still NO SPARK. Have not tested the coil or ignitor yet but think the coil is shot(carbon tracing on exterior). Does anyone know which wires go where on the ICM? Instead of a blue wire, my H23 dizzy has a dark green and I believe it goes on the side of the ICM where the blue one is on most diagrams ive seen. Im getting nowhere and need this car on the road 3 weeks ago!
Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JapHeartSwap
update on issue...Now after testing the main relay(tests good), the fuel pump is getting juice but is CONTINUOUSLY RUNNING with key on the II position! Could my Main Relay test good even tho its bad(possibly stuck)? The back up fuse had blown so I replaced it and now thats what is happening but still NO SPARK. Have not tested the coil or ignitor yet but think the coil is shot(carbon tracing on exterior). Does anyone know which wires go where on the ICM? Instead of a blue wire, my H23 dizzy has a dark green and I believe it goes on the side of the ICM where the blue one is on most diagrams ive seen. Im getting nowhere and need this car on the road 3 weeks ago!
Have a look at this post on this forum maybe of some help https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid...-help-3197681/

Old 08-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped! 4th Gen No Start (she runs!!! thread is dead!!)

Well good news is the car is back on the road! Bad news is that I really dont know EXACTLY what the main cause was......I ordered new main relay but had to wait for shipping so I went down last night to trace some electrical stuff and made sure I hadn't missed anything. I put one of the "good" bench tests relays in and swapped my main "jdm" Speed Innovations chipped P39 out for another ECM that is identical with the HP tune. Car fired right up! Ha! Weird but good nonetheless. Swapped my old ECU back in and nothing. I believe I narrowed it down to a combination of the three,(main relay,ECM and ICM). Just didn't think all three would go bad at once. Now that she's up and running, I'm going to be replacing everything I can with fresh components and upgrades. Thanks to Honda-Tech and EVERYONE who helped and gave me input! Greatly appreciated! Im going for a drive....