Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

brake rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake rotors/pads

my rotors are warped and pads are gone so im just going to change everything. what kind of rotors/ pads should i buy? (brand/type) and where can i get them from? any help is appreciated btw i have a 5th gen prelude (97 base)
Old 04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotors/pads (blakluder97d)

Depends. Are you going for added performance potential, and if so, for what purpose? There are quite a few options for high-temperature pads for track day applications (the curvy kind of track), but if you're just doing road driving and/or light racing or drag racing, you should take a look at the Hawk HPS.

Meanwhile, don't spend money on expensive rotors.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotors/pads (LudemanDan)

Yea i would say take a look at the Hawk pads. Rotors stay with a blank. More surface area = more stopping power. When u go to a drilled or slotted rotor u lose surface area which actually hurts stopping distance. But it will help in keeping your brakes cool. But many pads will need to actually heat up a bit in order for them to work properly.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Meanwhile, don't spend money on expensive rotors. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Agreed.

I got OPparts rotors from an eBay seller - speedydynamic . . . blank, and zinc-coated to prevent corrosion, and I couldn't be happier with them. They cost $110 shipped.

Pads that'll work well for you are gonna depend on what you use your car for.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotors/pads (Daemione)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daemione &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I got OPparts rotors from an eBay seller - speedydynamic . . . blank, and zinc-coated to prevent corrosion, and I couldn't be happier with them. They cost $110 shipped.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't understand the deal with zinc coating. Brake rotors being a wear item, doesn't a coating wear off?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the coating helps delay the rust from coming
Old 04-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotors/pads (M2B4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M2B4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the coating helps delay the rust from coming</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea i would say go for the zinc coating one if u care about alittle bit of rust on the rotors. Performance wise, the rust that you will see wont affect anything, its just an eye sore. I wish i bought some a few months back.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does the zinc affect performance? That's what I'd like to know. Especially concerning track applications.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LudemanDan)

As far as i know it does affect performance just keeps em from rusting.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lude98SH)

from my understanding "they" say the integrity of the rotor is compromised when they rust so there coatings help keep the rotors in pristine condition henceforth giving good performance output
Old 04-06-2006, 05:09 AM

sorry for the noob sounding question but on our preludes, how often do we need to change out the rotors and pads? mine has 60k miles on it and i don't think they've been swapped out yet.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:15 AM

well i dont need them for the track or anything, just everyday driving, but want some that will have a long life, and will not be too expensive. and these hawk ones? where can i find them?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:42 AM

A zinc or cadmium coating doesn't affect performance at all - the pads will have scrubbed it off the swept area by the time you're done bedding them.

But a coating will prevent rust from forming on the non-swept areas of the rotor . . . hubs, edges, inside the vents, etc. Makes for a much more attractive brake setup - and the rotors will last longer, especially on a car that isn't driven daily.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (absoludely)

when they start to squeal they are on the wear indicator tha means change them before they grind and kill your rotors. if the rotors are not warped they are probably fine. check the measurements of the rotor and if they are in spec leave them alone. measurements are on the inside of the rotor
Old 04-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BUY FACTORY ROTORS AND PADS everything else out there will drive you crazy with the squealing and sometimes the brake dust is horrible
Old 04-06-2006, 07:39 AM

Default Re: brake rotors/pads (satsilprelude)

You don't need to buy factory rotors & pads to avoid squealing brakes & excessive dust.

My Axxis/PBR Metalmasters are completely silent - and they've got an integrated shim so you don't need to bother with the factory shims or brake grease. They do dust a little more than stock - but it's easier to wipe off & clean than the dust from the stock pads.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotors/pads (Daemione)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daemione &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A zinc or cadmium coating doesn't affect performance at all - the pads will have scrubbed it off the swept area by the time you're done bedding them.

But a coating will prevent rust from forming on the non-swept areas of the rotor . . . hubs, edges, inside the vents, etc. Makes for a much more attractive brake setup - and the rotors will last longer, especially on a car that isn't driven daily.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anybody have any idea wut zinc coating runs $$$ ? Also if u have rust can it be sandblasted off and then zinc coated or will that damage the rotor ?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotors/pads (satsilprelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satsilprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUY FACTORY ROTORS AND PADS everything else out there will drive you crazy with the squealing and sometimes the brake dust is horrible</TD></TR></TABLE>
Like Daemione said, this is just not true. I hear that MetalMasters are tough on rotors, but the Hawk HPS is a pad intended for street. Check out http://www.cobaltfriction.com. I believe h-t members get a discount there. Their representative here is member Cobalt Friction.

Strictly speaking, for longevity, I'm sure stock pads will give you the longest wear.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 AM

for a great deal and great service go to. http://www.importrp.com ; they've always hooked me up. I recommend brembo blanks and they have metal masters there... if you search their website they have street models of pads. Sorry for the plug they are just awesome. The most important thing for brake performance is pads, not fancy rotors just a good set of blanks is all you need.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Re: (darkspector)

i just got some brembo drilled and slotted rotors. they are pretty good. i like them. although i cant find any good calipers without have to get bigger wheels
Old 04-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (darkspector)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkspector &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for a great deal and great service go to. http://www.importrp.com ; they've always hooked me up. I recommend brembo blanks and they have metal masters there... if you search their website they have street models of pads. Sorry for the plug they are just awesome. The most important thing for brake performance is pads, not fancy rotors just a good set of blanks is all you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Absolutely. for importrp.com.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tytyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">although i cant find any good calipers without have to get bigger wheels</TD></TR></TABLE> and that, to me, is a problem. Refer to the last part of the above quote.