Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

Suggestion on replacement brake rotors / pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestion on replacement brake rotors / pads

I am going to need new brake rotors / pads soon...

Any suggestions on what I should get?

I am not going to be racing my car nor need the $2k brake kits.

I just would like something that is considerably better than stock and has good stopping power.

Any suggestions on any pads or rotors?

I am going to get slotted rotors for sure and nice pads.

Whats your set up? Any reviews? thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Suggestion on replacement brake rotors / pads

Originally Posted by MILANO_RED_CL9
I am going to need new brake rotors / pads soon...

Any suggestions on what I should get?

I am not going to be racing my car nor need the $2k brake kits.

I just would like something that is considerably better than stock and has good stopping power.

Any suggestions on any pads or rotors?

I am going to get slotted rotors for sure and nice pads.

Whats your set up? Any reviews? thanks!
ate premium one rotors - http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...5&autoModClar=

hawk ceramic pads - F: http://www.jscspeed.com/index.php?p=...6Z.681&x=9&y=6
R: http://www.jscspeed.com/index.php?p=...Z.570&x=7&y=18

i don't have them on a tsx, but they are indeed a nice combo. the rotors are coated with a very durable bonded coating so the hats and edges won't rust. that is a one bummer about brembo OE replacement rotors, though their sport rotors are zinc coated :shrugs:. and the price is incredible compared to anything else worth looking at.

the pads are dope because they are grabby both initially and when hot, and don't seem to dust like most other pads. they do dust some, but the dust is just a different color so it's not as bad on top of just being less overall.

SS brake lines make a huge difference as well, but aren't necessary.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
ate premium one rotors - http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...5&autoModClar=

hawk ceramic pads - F: http://www.jscspeed.com/index.php?p=...6Z.681&x=9&y=6
R: http://www.jscspeed.com/index.php?p=...Z.570&x=7&y=18

i don't have them on a tsx, but they are indeed a nice combo. the rotors are coated with a very durable bonded coating so the hats and edges won't rust. that is a one bummer about brembo OE replacement rotors, though their sport rotors are zinc coated :shrugs:. and the price is incredible compared to anything else worth looking at.

the pads are dope because they are grabby both initially and when hot, and don't seem to dust like most other pads. they do dust some, but the dust is just a different color so it's not as bad on top of just being less overall.

SS brake lines make a huge difference as well, but aren't necessary.
Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, i hate how they rust! SS brake lines are a must for me.The difference is huge.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MILANO_RED_CL9
Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, i hate how they rust! SS brake lines are a must for me.The difference is huge.

Any suggestions?
i'm old school; i stick with goodridge. there might be better ones out there, but they always have my applications and are relatively affordable, especially now that a bazillion people have them available on the web.

http://www.jscspeed.com/index.php?p=...0105&x=20&y=17

OP, do you want me to copy this to the brake sub-forum too, so those creeps see this along with the TSX heads?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
i'm old school; i stick with goodridge. there might be better ones out there, but they always have my applications and are relatively affordable, especially now that a bazillion people have them available on the web.

http://www.jscspeed.com/index.php?p=...0105&x=20&y=17

OP, do you want me to copy this to the brake sub-forum too, so those creeps see this along with the TSX heads?
Yeah, they seem to be everywhere in my searches. Yeah, please post it there if you dont mind. I am not sure wheres thats at but Im sure I can find it. lil new to HT so yeah.

Anyone else with any other suggestions? Just like to see what other reviews are out there. thank you
Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock rotors are great. I used Hawk HPS for 70,000 miles and they were very good, but lacked some initial bite. I just recently put on Hawk HP Plus and these STOP NOW.

Anyway, all original stock rotors no issues, very little rotor wear with HPS, but like I said low initial bite so you have to press somewhat harder.

As I am sort of used to high performace brakes from my other cars, I figure that trading away rotor life for better stopping is OK in my book. HP plus will eat rotors in 3-4 years of average driving, but they are great performing pad all around, any outside temperature and cold starts.

In short for stock kind of performance Hawk HPS is good and your rotors will be ok for at least 120K mile of average driving.

HP Plus are great all around, a LOT of stopping power (take a few days to get used to), but I would think that you;ll need new rotors every 60K or so.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
GDD 1%

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put EBC slotted and dimpled rotors on my 04 s2000 with EBC red stuff pads. Brakes are awesome, virtually zero dusting, and the rotors are coated in a gold coloring and look "clean". They are dimpled and not crossed drilled to reduce stress cracks.

I have also had good luck with Brembo rotors in the past. Just stay away from the $30 chinese rotors at the local parts store and you should be good.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 PM

The Racingbrake rotors are literally the best you can buy. They last 2-3 times longer than other brands and stay cooler. They are also stronger. We've hand tons of happy people over many years with these. We actually have full staged brake packages to meet different needs.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the EBC slotted rotors and the EBC redstuff pads on all four corners. Dust is down compared to OEM. I dont think I broke them in properly considering they started to warp early after install. However, after a few thousand miles and normal daily driving abuse they seem to have finally broken in. Great braking compared to OEM as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all these reviews. My local performance shop also reccomended EBC rotors but he said OEM pads will also do great. I think I will end up goin with the EBC dimpled rotors with Hawk Plus pads and goodridge SS Brake lines. unless someone can steer me another direction?

I kno there all different brands. but all seem to be fairly affordable and decent reviews..
Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, so my rear brakes started squeaking and I just decided to order in the parts...

I ended up going with the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors with the EBC green stuff pads.

I dont track my car nor drive it really hard so i decided green stuff was the way to go; eco friendly and wont wear out as fast as the EBC red stuff pads.

I will let you know my review once I have them installed. Thanks!