Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea?

i've had my fit for about 5-6 months now...with absolutely no problems at all up until yesterday. i started up my car here in illinois...which its pretty cold out lately, and was just driving about a mile or more down the road to the gas station, about half way there is when the cold engine light turns off and i have rarely Ever taken the car past 3-4k when its cold. it has 18,000ish miles on it with regular oil changes and a catback exhaust, and an intake run off the stock box. well i get to the gas station, and get out of the car keeping it running and as im walking by the front of the car i hear a slight ticking noise...? not a normal noise either. very faint but i could hear it as i walked by...tick tick tick tick tick. instantly i go pop the hood, and it sounds like its right up near the head of the motor. still not too loud but noticeable. and def. not normal. check around...no exhaust leaks, nothing...just the tick. by the time i got back home the tick was not even there or really not noticeable to the ear. i take the car around our apartment complex for a lap or two and come back so one of my buddys whos pretty big into hondas can listen, of course the slight tick is back...and without really being able to tell what it could be...his guess is obviously either valve problem or maybe a slightly clogged injector. another friend of ours is a tech at the local honda dealer and i decide i should go there and see if he could hear the tick. of course i get there and the tick is not even noticeable, and he tells me that the fits have new different harder hitting injectors now and that could possibly be the problem...but he didnt have time since he was on the clock for me to take a ride around have come back to see if he could hear the tick. so he tells me he will be working sat. and to bring it in to see if we could figure out the problem...so i let the car sit for the past day without driving it because im scared to cause more of a problem...tonight i decide im going to go to the gas station again, and as soon as i start the car... i hear the tick slightly again... i drive to the gas station, get out...still there. come back still there. i have searched all over trying to find out if there is anyone else with the same type of problems in the fit, and only to find one post here on honda-tech. someone else hearing a slight tick but at only 700miles. most responses were of the injectors, but after owning the car and hearing it run over the last 6 months and not being completely illiterate of any knowledge of cars, i know that this is not a normal noise. i was wondering if anyone else could find out any information on what else this could be, or if honda would even cover this problem under warranty with my current mods. i know all that jazz(no pun intended) about they need to prove that it was the cause of my problem...but regardless, i have taken off like 8 of the heat shields because of rattling and tore one and threw it away. i still am taking the car in on sat. but i am really worried about what this could be, and how much i could get screwed seeing that this is a 250k mile car or should be and i only have basic mods and 18000 miles and its falling apart??? please any help would be great. thanks guys.

chris
Old 01-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (Fit THIS 07)

dude,

i have the same noise and cannot figure out what the hell it is. If you're looking at the engine the noise comes from the bottom right, correct??? (tick tick tick) I have also noticed that it goes away when the car has been running for about 30 min. I too have a few minor mods but baby the car, let me know what your buddy says on sat. Any help would be appreciated!

DrmWgn
Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (drmwgn)

sounds like the injectors firing
Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does the noise go up and down with your revs? or is it just at idle? Have you checked your oil level l8ly?

It would also be a good idea to wait until the *cold engine* light goes off to drive away, I think that was the intent of it when it was installed . Will save your motor in the long run for sure!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (logg_frogg)

Injectors are not that loud. Normally you need a stethoscope to hear injector pulse.
My guess is that its the purge control solenoid. Its that little plastic thing that sits on top of the TB. Has a tube coming off it. Its a low toned and light tick at idle. I notice it the most on colder days.

I noticed the sound when running my car without an intake (after I ported the TB)
I then bought a new TB as a full assembly and I still heard it. Ive read about a member on Fitfreak that actually replaced his because it got too loud.

Its also more noticeable with an intake.
Im not sure what it does. I believe it routes fuel vapors into the TB while the car is running? IDK?

Number 2.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (Mx6GT89)

i have it too. and it bugs the hell out of me. i was told it was the injectors as well. but i don't believe that they wold be that loud. i actually thinking about taking it to honda
Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (logg_frogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by logg_frogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It would also be a good idea to wait until the *cold engine* light goes off to drive away, I think that was the intent of it when it was installed . Will save your motor in the long run for sure!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That temp light could take minutes to go away. You don't have to wait until it's gone to drive. Just wait 30 sec max and drive slow.

Also, the injectors ARE loud. They were on my 06 Civic and on my 07 Fit.

Your cars aren't falling apart, people
Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I vote for the injectors firing also they are LOUD. Take a piece of metal or wood like a chopstick or something and put them onto the injectors and listen to the free end and presto there's your noise.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Without hearing it I would say the tapping noise is valve clearance. Using a hearing aid, like a short broomstick even, can you isolate the tapping to one cylinder?. Thats the valve clearance to check first. Its not unusual for engines to have to have the valve clearance adjusted in 15-20k miles.
Sometimes the outside temperature changes are enough to widen the clearance.
I don't think its an injector but could be. In any case you want to check the valve clearance. At least Hondas can easily be checked. Some cars you have to virtually dissassemble the upper engine manifolds etc.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (mahout)

You think checking the fit valve clearance is easy??? It happens to be one of the Hondas that you have to split the intake to get the valve cover off. Guess you haven't DONE or even read about doing it.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:46 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (claymore)

Likely either a slight valve tap due to cold oil, or injector noise. Injectors on some vehicles can tick quite loud; my B16A2 had very loud injectors.

Your car is not falling apart. And as far as being covered under warranty, there has to be an actual problem to repair. This is not a problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by claymore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think checking the fit valve clearance is easy??? It happens to be one of the Hondas that you have to split the intake to get the valve cover off. Guess you haven't DONE or even read about doing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What's so difficult about that? It's not like you're disassembling the transmission or something.

Can you even pump fuel or change oil?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (pimpvw)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pimpvw &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like the injectors firing</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep.. injectors on the Fit are LOUD.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (eL)

Pretty much all honda injectors are loud...
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea? (Targa250R)

I was referring to his post about it being one of the Honda's that is easy to do. And isn't just having to take the rocker cover off much easier than removing the manifold??? There are different variations in what is easy and what's not and having to remove the intake is not easier than just removing the valve cover to adjust the valves like on other Honda's. so bust his ***** not mine.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:38 PM

yeah, well its not the injectors for those who think they are. this is something that is not normal. so if it is the injectors...then one isnt firing right then...because they are not running perfectly if you think thats the problem. this noise is way unusual and get this...i couldnt make it to the shop sat. cause of family prob. and i called teh dealership to get ahold of him...and he wasnt even working anyways. man....oh and for the noise...it does move throughout the rpm band....just when you get higher up it slowly fades out. and when it comes to the cold light...i do what most others do...start it...sit there for a min letting it gain a slightly lower idle then drive it away clutching it out slow easy and low rpms. i dont drive away on it slamming at 6500! lol. but i got a call the other day from a girl i know who works at our local joliet honda dealership and she said she heard something about fit valve issues...? anyone else heard anything new?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 PM

oh and please lets not get into some big thing over it being the injectors.. like i said...it is not a normal noise. anyone so far i have had around the car hear the noise, seeing that they are not retarted can tell that the noise is irregular. and probably doesn't spell out good news. either way. i just dont need to have someone tell me its regular, No, it isnt. if you heard it.....you would go...Oh, no thats not. believe me. im going to go out and take a clip of it tomorrow and try and get you guys a link....see if you can determine more from hearing the noise and realizing its not normal injector fire. thanks to all those trying to understand my confusion.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fit THIS 07)

if you think its not the injectors take it to honda
Old 01-22-2008, 04:17 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (pimpvw)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pimpvw &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you think its not the injectors take it to honda </TD></TR></TABLE>
Seriously.

If it's that bad and everyone hearing it is "not retarted" (how ironic), then make an appointment with your dealer's service department and have it checked out. You paid for your new car warranty, so use it while it is there.

Jeez.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight Ticking noise? anyone have an idea?

for those stating vavles by no means would the sound come and go except with temp only. ive been expieriencing the same thing with my fit. with a closer listen im pretty sure youll find it to be the timing chain. use your stethiscope again. injectors typically arent that loud and if they were doing this itd get completely silent hot right guys? cold rich hot lean.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ he rite its the timing chain i have the same sound drives me nuts!
Old 04-19-2022, 05:37 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by mahout
Without hearing it I would say the tapping noise is valve clearance. Using a hearing aid, like a short broomstick even, can you isolate the tapping to one cylinder?. Thats the valve clearance to check first. Its not unusual for engines to have to have the valve clearance adjusted in 15-20k miles.
Sometimes the outside temperature changes are enough to widen the clearance.
I don't think its an injector but could be. In any case you want to check the valve clearance. At least Hondas can easily be checked. Some cars you have to virtually dissassemble the upper engine manifolds etc.
I have a 2010 Fit that has a L13Z1 engine, Mine is making the same low/soft rattling noise aside from the valves ticking and the injectors clicking. A friend who is a mechanic at the honda plant suggested that the camshaft may be the culprit. So I got myself a new camshaft and will replace it a couple of days.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy stethoscope, locate sound or use cell phone video, move it around.