Notices

WTF: is wrong with my lights????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF: is wrong with my lights????????

when i turn on my lights only my front lights come on. no corners, no tail, and no interior. when i balance the toggle between the driving lights and lights everything works. what is this it sucks because when i put on my turn signal, the toggle looses its balance and my interior and tail lights turn off. have any of you had this problem. how do i fix this
Old 01-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? ([626]phixionEF91)

sounds like the whole cluster containing your turnsignal wand needs to be replaced or rewired. never had that problem so I can't be sure. have you been pulled over for it before?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:57 PM

I had the same exact problem for about 3 years now, I havent been able to fix it yet, I guess i'm just like that my toggle doesnt really loses its balance, it stays right in between... once in a while it does come off but i just balance it again... if anyone knows how to fix it please let us know!!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (crxtreme27)

i had this problem 2months agaio, go down to a junk yard buy that whole light switch control thing. and now all my lights work great
Old 01-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Commonwealth my ass This is the communist state, VA, USA
Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (wu tang)

I had somewhat the same problem, Only I would turn on the parking lights and the dash lights would work. If I turned on my headlights they would go of, Sometimes to come back on, On their own or after I messed with the headlight switch. I went to Auto zone and a new light tree (light switch) costs close to $100.00. My other options were to hit up a junk yard and possibly pay for the same problem, Or take it apart and clean it out. I went for the Diy option seeing as how I am poor and what not. If you find this to be the problem, Start by taking off the steering wheel. From there you will need to take off the round clip around the column trim. Then take off the trim. You'll have to take both the windshield wiper tree and the Headlight tree off as one piece... From there you should be able to figure it out. Rip it apart, Clean it up with some fine sand paper on all contact surfaces, And finish off with dielectric grease. Slap it back together and off you go. If you decide to do this thats on you, But if you need help let me know And I'll help the best I can... Good luck!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:27 AM

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (h8tred)

man this sucks. guess ima go down to the junk yard
Old 01-24-2003, 11:04 AM

Had the same problem. I got screwed by Honda and they made me pay 210 for a new light switch control thing when I could had gone to the junkyard. Ohh well. That was the problem though, just change it and you should be ok.
I got pulled over for it. Sucked but the cop was nice enough to let me off without a ticket..lol.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:12 AM

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (91hatch_on17's)

did your tail lights just go out or something
Old 01-24-2003, 12:02 PM

yeah, the whole tail lights would go off, then I had to play around with the switch until they turned back on. Also the whole dash would go off at the same time. Ohh, and when I would turn the turn signal, they would also go off.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (91hatch_on17's)

i'm having a similar problem... when i turn on my lights, the dash lights, corners, and tail lights go out and the fuse blows... my headlights still work though... i've checked all the wires and they seem to be ok... but when i replace the fuse and turn on my lights... POW... there goes the fuse again... its really starting to **** me off... i can't drive at night
Old 01-24-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (neutron89)

i'm having a similar problem... when i turn on my lights, the dash lights, corners, and tail lights go out and the fuse blows... my headlights still work though... i've checked all the wires and they seem to be ok... but when i replace the fuse and turn on my lights... POW... there goes the fuse again... its really starting to **** me off... i can't drive at night
i just fixed this exact problem. it is a power wire touching a ground somewhere. we tried putting in a 30 amp fuse and then they worked, until we closed the doors or hood. we tried again and tapped different places where we think the wire might be touching, until the fuse blew. the wire ended up being under the dash somewhere and we didnt want to take out the dash.
what we did then, is unplugged each plug out of the fuse panel and try turning on the park lights. until finally one plug we pulled and all the lights would work except for the dash lights. it ended up being a wire for the dash lights so we cut that wire. the car no has no dash lights but it does have the rear lights and corner lights. so we just left it.

i hope some of this helps, it took us all day of following wires and stuff.

good luck!
Old 01-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (dub204)

yeah i figured a wire was grounding somewhere just didn't know where... its weird i mean i thought i had it fixed and it worked fine for a week and then all of a sudden just blows out again... and my car is lowered so its not the smoothest of rides so if shutting a door or slamming the hood would make the fuse blow then it should have blown the second i left my street... hell i dunno... thanks for the extra info though ... now i know more of what to look for... i guess i know what i'll be doing this weekend... ahhh damn wires
Old 01-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[626]phixionEF91, I'm sure it can be fixed... I did mine in say 20-30 minutes. I'll even walk you thru it, You can sit in front of your computer and do it.

Old 01-24-2003, 08:20 PM

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (neutron89)

yea the same thing happened. we needed to get the lights working for a safety. where the government checks everything over before you can register it. and we had it working and then right after the safety its stopped working. altogether we prolly spent 2 full days trying to figure out where the short was coming from. incredibly frustrating.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (dub204)

i'm having a similar problem. when turn on my parking lights or head lights the instrument panel lights will go off. and also none of my corner lights work. i have no idea what it could be, cause the fuses are good and the bulbs.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:33 PM

Default Re: WTF: is wrong with my lights???????? (88CRXSiB17)

so what should i do how should i go about fixing this. i need this fixed, and i dont have much electrical experience.......
Old 01-26-2003, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First you need to go to an auto parts store and pick up some dielectric grease. I got this stuff at autozone, Right at the counter. It's a small green 4 gm pack called "Dielectric Spark Plug Boot Protector". If you can't find it they also sell larger tubes of it for like 2~3 bucks. You'll also need some fine sand paper just a small piece. Then gather up a cross head screwdriver, A ratchet, Extension and socket (I think maybe 15 or 17 mm I cant remember). Take your steering wheel off (it helps to center your front wheels so you can put the steering wheel back on straight). Then after you set the steering wheel aside you'll see a lip on the trim going around the column, There is a little metal hoop that holds the two pieces together. Take that off and remove all the screws in the trim so you can take it off. Then you'll see how the wiper and light switches are mounted together, unplug both and take the whole thing inside (two screws hold it on). You can I.m. me from that point on and I'll walk you thru it. It's really not that hard. I was forced to learn how because im a broke *** ****. My aol screen name is Paranoidlust or you can hit me up on aim Ih8urHero ...
Old 01-26-2003, 09:57 AM

thanx man i apprieciate it
Old 01-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just let me know what time to be on... Add 3 hours cuz I'm on the east coast (Stupid Virginia)...
Old 01-26-2003, 03:31 PM

i will do it sometime this week
Old 02-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well another week has gone by and my dash lights, corners, and parking lights still don't work... i'm on my way to work on thursday and i stop to get gas... i pump my gas and go to start my car... my cd player, radar detector, and dash lights come on like normal but when i crank it all the way it just clicks and won't turn over... frustrated and pressed for time i pop my hood and begin checking wires to make sure everything is as should be... i noticed a small wire hanging from the starter... i'm assuming it is a ground wire... i slide it on and it goes on very loosely... i go back and try to start my car... starts right up... whew problem solved... i get out my wire crimpers and tighten that bitch up so it doesn't come off again... i had some new, unblown fuses in my coin tray... just for kicks i decided i would put one in and see if just maybe it wouldn't blow out instantly... i turn on my lights cautiously and i hear no "pop"... amazed by what had just happened my dash lights, corners, and parking lights all come on... so all that time i've spent tracing the wires and NOT being able to fix it is solved with that one little crap wire... well i'm glad its all over with and hopefully this will help some of you out that have this same problem