Notices

Electrical Problems, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems, HELP!

Well, I figured out the problem with the cigarette lighter, dome light, and dash clock that all weren't working. They are all on the same fuse, that fuse was blown. Problem fixed.

The turn signal fuses are good, however, the right turn signal does not turn on when I flip the lever for it up, but if I poke it hard enough it turns on sometimes, but the light doesn't blink in the dash, just out of the signals on the outside of the car.

I figured out my ECU pinning problem, the JDM O2 wire and the VTEC wire were crossed hence the Check Engine light that was the VTEC System Failure code. I switched them to were they were supposed to be, Check Engine light is gone, but VTEC doesn't engage still, and the tach needle jumps around, and before as opposed to rev limiting at 7200rpms I am now rev limiting at around 62-6500rpms.

Also, today I got the temp tags for my car. Very excited, getting to drive it legally finally. I know it's running, just without VTEC, but still drivable. I go to the gas station, fill it up, go to turn on the car and it doesn't start. This is just like when I had to replace the battery a week ago cause it wouldn't start anymore after running for a little. The old battery was running at 4 volts after being fine before the motor swap. I bought an Optima Yellow Top, put it in, cranked it up on the first time and I thought that was the end of the problem. The Yellow Top has been in the car for a week now, and it was in today when it wouldn't start without a jump. I'm thinking alternator now.

Tonight I started to try and pull it out. Proves to be a bitch with a strut tower bar in and the axle in the way. I unplugged it and took a look at the plug, it's got a lot of white **** on the inside of it! It's the green plug that goes to the altenrator for those who aren't clear. My question is can that white crap on the inside of that plug be affecting the alternator? As in, not letting the alternator charge the battery enough? The wiring harness is different than the one that was on the motor, and the guy that had the motor in the car before I bought it from him let his Rex sit in the garage for 2 months and it cranked right up. I'm REALLY HOPING that the white **** on the inside of the plug and on the connectors is just not allowing for a good connection to the alternator and that's what's ******* **** up. I really really don't want to pull the alternator without knowing that I have to.

If I clean the plug up with some Carb Choke or some Brake Parts Cleaner and get the **** out ( then let it dry of course ) and plug it in, do you think the alternator might start functioning better? Or would that **** being all over the inside of the plug not affect the alternator at all?

PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER! My car NEEDS TO BE ON THE ROAD 3 MONTHS AGO! Thanks Honda-Tech!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Electrical Problems, HELP! (ExodusJKD)

Oh yeah, I wanna know if VTEC may not be activating because of the alternator not putting out enough voltage?

Plus, long story short about the alternator. The only difference between my car and the car I bought the motor from is the wiring harness. Since mine has all of that nasty white **** inside the alternator plug, can that really affect the alternator since it's all plugged up and dirty? That's the only thing that's different at all, I doubt the alternator died when I was trucking the motor to my house. Like I said I wanna exhaust everything else I can think of before I go through the trouble of pulling it out and having Auto Zone test it.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Electrical Problems, HELP! (ExodusJKD)

Bump, does anyone think the plug needs to be cleaned and it'll work again???