Notices

D15B1 engine replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D15B1 engine replacement options

Hi guys,

I own a 91 civic EF with D15B1 engine. It drives great and I have a refurbished head on it. I drive it 100 miles everyday for commute. And I am getting 30 - 33 MPG. However I noticed it burns oil at start every morning espeically when the weather gets cold. And I am planning to move to michigan where winter is serious...

I just need a solid and reliable transportation and really not interested in horsepower gain...

So I have been looking into options of engine swap. I need your expertise and tips.

1. I am thinking of doing the swap myself. Looks like it is only a few mounting bolts and they are very accessible. There is no powersteering, which should make the job much easier. I am going to buy a HFT engine hoist and engine stand. (Do I really need engine stand?) Which part of the engine are ususally used for the chain to go on when you pull it out of the vehicle?

2. Rebuild the engine. Looks like the rebuild kit costs around 300 dollars. However I will have to bore the block and grind crankshaft, which I don't know how much would cost. And I never rebuild engine from scratch before... D15 are simple engines though..

3. Remanufactured engine. Did some research, which shows a reman D15B1 would cost around 1300 - 2000 dollars. Is this a good investment? What can go wrong? Who to buy from?

4. Used engine. On ebay there are used D15B1 from 800 dollars. Seller claims that engines are around 50k. If it is true, the engine still have a lot of life left, at least another 50k. If I buy those kind of engine, I would replace water pump, oil pump, timing belt, spark-plug well o-rings, and probably RMS, which is antoher 100 bucks.

5. JDM engine. They are imported from Japan and looks like they are cheaper than domestic used engines. However, it looks like they are different from D15B1. Is a direct swap possible? Will there be any fitment issues? Are major parts compatible like water pump, oil pump, etc?

The goal is to have a rock solid vehicle that is going to last at least five more years.

Which direction would you go?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:18 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: D15B1 engine replacement options

If you're this new to these cars I'd avoid rebuilding an engine as step one. Find a local junkyard that has a good motor or check out ebay/ other online sites. 1300-2000 is WAY WAY to much for an old d15 rebuilt or not.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D15B1 engine replacement options

I'd second Grimace . . .

I just picked up a b1 that has a spun bearing for free. You can get used b1s or b2s for $300-400 around here that aren't in need of work.

I wouldn't buy a motor online unless it was almost given away or from a very established seller with a warranty. I'd look locally at a junkyard or craigslist as it's much easier to make things right if something is wrong with the motor if you are within driving distance.