Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine SWAP vs. Engine RECONDITION? What should I do? Opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine SWAP vs. Engine RECONDITION? What should I do? Opinions please...

Okay, here is the story.

I have a D15B7 engine that lost compression - car would not start compression was the last thing I tested...go figure. I had something like only 60 psi or so in the 4th cylinder.

Anyway, the engine was consuming oil as well so I either have to do an engine swap or recondition my current engine. As far as cost is concerned, I think I could get a mildly used engine for less than $500 and put it in there and that would theoretically fix my problems.

However, I guess I could also change the piston rings in my busted engine, along with all the valves and stuff like that in the head...I have really no idea what this would cost and the only real advantage that I can see about this route is that I dont actually have to remove the engine block from the bay.

I will be doing all this work myself, and it is pretty much my first time doing work of this extent on this car...

Question is, do you guys think I should just swap in a mildly used engine (I was thinking either another D15B7, or the D16Z6 - nothing fancy) or try to recondition my current engine? I need to get this car running ASAP and I really want to get rid of the oil consumption problem I was having. Do you guys think that if I recondition my engine I could be pretty sure of fixing that problem?

I am just looking for opinions about this since either way this is going to be a learning experience but I dont want to do all this work and end up with a half-assed result...

p.s. I have the head off my engine now and the cylinder walls look to be in good shape, but the valves on the head are caked with carbon deposit...just some more background info...

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Engine SWAP vs. Engine RECONDITION? What should I do? Opinions please... (civicproblems)

Being a fellow ontario-an myself i will see if i can lend some insight

Your b7 is obviously the bottom of the list as for the civics. You seem to have no motivation in making it the fastest car out there but want it to work like it should and for a little while.
A d16z6 would offer a little more fun and power over the b7 and you can find them used and cheap for maybe anywhere from 300-500 bucks depending on condition. obviously the km's will be fairly high(chances are)but if you know honda motors they don't usually die at 200 thousand they can push it..much further

for instance my d16z6 has 230 000 km's on the original timing belt\waterpump\thermostat as well as a few other things it runs strong as hell and i definatly put it through its paces often enough.

if you have your b7 built to stock specs again and you replace those rings your oil burning will hopefully be gone BUT. unless your tearing that motor down yourself and know how to do it all or your going to learn and time is really no issue i wouldn't reccomend it. engine builds are not cheap especially when you take it to a shop. I would try to find a used vtec single cam motor i working maybe throw some money into a timing belt,water pump,plugs and wires. dist cap and go from there.
Your choice but i think i would find a used motor rather than rebuild the dead cx motor. if you get a motor it leaves an excuse for something faster lol even LS motors can be had for a fairly low price. good luck
Old 01-14-2005, 12:47 PM

i would just replace it.its easier and less time consuming.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (PHOBIA)

with d16z6's and jdm d15b's going for $400-500, you might as well not waste $$ with the 70hp stock motor. try to find a motor from a shop that's willing to offer a warranty too.

http://attarco.com/

$225 for a d15b vtec, 6mo unlimited mile warranty
Old 01-14-2005, 01:39 PM

yeah man but hes from toronto.attarco is in berkley quite a ways away.i dont know if they ship but my friend got a motor from them in great condition.