Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny or throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny or throw out bearing

Hello everyone. So I purchased my 1998 Honda Civic DX (I believe it has the 1.6 SOHC) this car as a commuter vehicle and was going to drive it to the ground, but due to the previous owners taking pretty good car of it and I actually enjoy driving it, I want to keep it and keep it running for a long time.

So, when I purchased the vehicle the guy told me it needed a new clutch. I didn't think the clutch was that bad but when I started the car, it made a loud squealing sound from the clutch area in the engine bay (I can actually hear it from inside the car...kinda annoying). When I put in the clutch, the sound goes away.

I also notice that when I'm driving and giving gas I hear the loud sound, again when I switch gears, sound goes away.

So I thought it was the throw out bearing buuuut I saw another civic enthusiast and he said that it was my tranny and it was a common problem for these generations of civics.

Soooo I would like to ask the fellow members of the club, what do you think is wrong here? I could upload a video to better describe the sound. I dont wanna attempt to do the clutch to only find out it was something else.

I have never changed a clutch before but am pretty good with a tool (I had a Fiero kit car where I swapped engines to a totally different engine from a totally different car, put the kit on the car, etc. but have never done a clutch) how would you describe the skill level on a clutch change? The GREAT thing about this civic is theres a TON of room to play around in the engine bay.

Thanks in advanced guys
Old 05-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: tranny or throw out bearing

Transmission main bearing, usually the input shaft bearing.

You need to drop transmission and crack it open. Then replace ISB (assuming other main bearing are fine) and seal.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Transmission main bearing, usually the input shaft bearing.

You need to drop transmission and crack it open. Then replace ISB (assuming other main bearing are fine) and seal.
haha just read your FAQ. Looks like a big project but the DIY on there has a great write up! all this work for a darn bearing haha....Oh one more thing, I noticed my speedo goes bananas sometimes, forgot to add that, might not even be part of the problem.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speedometer - CEL codes?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KillerX1911
So I thought it was the throw out bearing buuuut I saw another civic enthusiast and he said that it was my tranny and it was a common problem for these generations of civics.
yup, he's referring to the input shaft bearing. I had the same problem on two civics.

I did this replacement for the first time last winter, and it wasn't too bad. look up how to remove the tranny, and how to take the cover off the tranny. make sure you've got a manual to work with and you should be fine if you're handy with tools. I just would plan for it to take longer than you expect.

i found the trickiest part was simply getting the cover off the tranny... the tutorials kept saying to expand the snap ring - the trick is to pry the cover gently at the same time. the actual bearing replacement is easy... And I just got mine from the dealership.

also if you haven't done it before, you might get hung up for a bit taking the axle out.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mithious
I did this replacement for the first time last winter...
What tools did you use to remove old and install new bearing?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm so heres another question...I honestly dont know how long the previous owner has been driving it like this and I'm still driving it everyday 200 kms a day...should I stop driving it until I get this taken care of?

Man +1 to you guys, I honestly could have sworn it would have been the throw out bearing, so glad I joined the forum!

EDIT: Well when I got the car there was no lights on my dash so I figured I was ok (Silly me, I should of scanned it) so I take it to get etested and it failed, 3 codes- P0113, P0135, P0141, I was like how the heck is that even possible when I dont even have a engine light, well guess what, engine light burnt out lol

So I ordered a downstream o2 sensor (hopefully that fixes the o2 problem) and I ordered a Intake temp sensor (Which I cant find where to plug too lol)
Old 05-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's very noisy, replace ASAP. Otherwise, you may need to shop for a replacement transmission.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
What tools did you use to remove old and install new bearing?
To remove, I put a long flat head screwdriver through the input shaft hole which caught on the inner lip of the bearing, and tapped it out, working my way around the bearing so i didn't kink it. I expected it to be in there very tightly but it actually came out with relative ease.

Install was another matter. I actually can't remember what I used to tap it in with, (as I didn't have a proper drift) but I stayed on the outer lip of the bearing and slowly worked my way around tapping it in.

I actually expected it not to work as this is not the recommended method... I thought I would fail and have to go hunting the next day for a slide hammer. But it worked so easily (and quickly) that I never had to look into it.

I'm not sure if it was luck or skill, but there was a lot of noob-ness going on... However, the tranny seems perfect now, so I must have done something right.

Actually, what I would do differently if I had to do it again, is to use hondabond to seal the case. I used permutex ultra black, and I believe that may not have been the best choice. (though it is still currently sealed!)

edit: ah, I believe I remember, I used a 3/8" socket extension. I also remember trying to use it to tap out the bearing, but don't remember which worked better, the screwdriver or the extension!

Last edited by mithious; 05-09-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 05-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mithious
To remove, I put a long flat head screwdriver through the input shaft hole which caught on the inner lip of the bearing, and tapped it out, working my way around the bearing so i didn't kink it. I expected it to be in there very tightly but it actually came out with relative ease.
Very clever.