Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear hatch water leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch water leak repair update warning 56k

93 Civic hatch back I have been trying to find this leak for some time now. Water is coming from some where up high. I have removed and resealed the rubber wiring loom boots (inspected for damage), replaced the rear hatch seal, and pulled down the inner plastic body panels to find the source of the leak. Still no luck I can see water dripping out from where several pieces of sheet metal come together. Has anyone had a leak around the seam sealer on the rear glass hinges? The water is running down both sides inside the car and filling the rear cargo area. I can see water dripping out the seat belt openings on the inner panel. I will post pictures later today
You can see in this pic how the water is leaking down the inside of the panel and leaking out through the seat belt opening

In this shot I was able to see the water was dripping down from the upper right corner of the roof line onto this cover

After pulling all the inner covers off it looks like the water is leaking in around where the hinge mounts or somewhere around there I just cant tell

Okay now for what I found. after getting the car into a heated shop and melting the ice. I did a high tech leak test. That's right I used a pitcher to pour water around both upper hatch hinges and down the water channel the result the water started dripping around the left hatch hinge.
Well now we have to fix it right!! Things you are going to need 10mm socket and wrench, 12mm box wrench,assorted screwdrivers, tube of seam sealer ($18 from NAPA) and caulking gun, wire wheel or sandpaper, primer and paint, replacement hinge gaskets from honda or a piece of gasket material to cut your own.

Step 1: disconnect the wiring for the rear defroster and rear wiper if equipped.
Step 2: remove the 4 10mm nuts that hold the wing onto the hinge. use a blanket to protect the paint on the roof and flip the wing onto the roof.
Step 3: remove the trim piece from the head liner to gain access to the hinge bolts and remove using a 10mm socket.
Step 4: with a 12mm wrench remove the rear glass struts where they attach at the body.
Step 5: with the help of a friend remove the rear glass with the hinges attached to it. This will take a bit of work to get through all the seam sealant and paper gaskets. I used a razor knife to cut through the sealant and a large flat blade to help pop the hinges free
step 6: once removed the mounting area will look like this

Step 7: take your time clean the mounting area of old seam sealer rust and make sure the metal is flat tap down any high spots.

Step 8: I prepped the bare metal with a good quality self etching primer and let dry

Step 9: While things are drying inspect the hinges I found one was binding up (just so happens to be on the side that was leaking). Relube or replace if needed. The hinge should move with very little resistance. Remove old gasket and the clean mounting surface.

Step 10: Once the primer is dry and things are ready for reassembly apply seam sealer to the hinge<U> install the new gaskets </U>. Apply a small bead of seam sealer to the hing mounting point on the body, reinstall the glass and tighten the 4 10mm nuts to the hinge stud. Seal around the hinge with more of the seam sealer (just like caulking around a tub) use your finger to work around the piece to smooth and make a nice contour. You have about 30 min work time

I found one other place that looked like it might leak it was right at the end of the water channel. so I cleaned it up and applied more seam sealer there.

Step 11:Give the sealant the time to dry per manufacture directions and apply a coat of color match paint

Step 13: Reassemble and test for water leaks. smile that you no longer have one and drink a few

Modified by instructor74 at 4:12 PM 2/11/2008

Modified by instructor74 at 4:18 PM 2/11/2008

Modified by instructor74 at 7:48 AM 3/3/2008

Modified by instructor74 at 11:21 AM 7/15/2008
Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear hatch water leak (instructor74)

bump for the night crew added photos
Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no one with an idea. Oh well I guess I will just have to find it and post the repair latter
Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blurry pics but my car leaks a little bit out of the seat belt area but not nearly as much as yours. It only leaks in heavy heavy rain so I haven't bothered to rip apart my interior.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear hatch water leak (VTAC-KAT)

Okay I found the leak more pictures and write up to follow as soon as i get the photos off the camera

Last edited by instructor74; 07-10-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear hatch water leak repair update warning 56k (instructor74)

updated is complete see first post hope this helps anyone with a similar problem
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 PM

Hey man I was just about to post and see if anyone had a problem like mine. I have the same problem only not as bad, and its only when it rains over-night. I took my driver side rear 1/4 panel plastic off, the pillar around the rear side window and pulled down the inner rubber trim holding the headliner in closest to hatch. Because the leak isn't too bad the water was just staying at the corner, flowing down the pillar near seat belt (just like yours), down the 1/4 panel paneling and onto the spare tire floor. So far I popped out the rubber where the wires enter the body on both sides and caulked them, and caulked the rubber where the winshield washer fluid enters/exits the car. I also opened the hatch glass and pulled off the rubber gasket around the window opening like where the channel of water flows and caulked that and placed gasket over to form a nice seal. Well its been 2 days and it rained again last night and once again, water still coming in. So now all I can think of is around the hinge like yours, only the paint around it is still in great condition and don't see how it could enter. I'm guessing its the channel gasket that runs along the whole roof of the car. I have no idea anymore. The hard part for me is that if I use a hose or anything else and keep putting water around the area, no water comes in. Its only when it rains. So its like I need a good warm day 2 do some work and then wait for rain and check. And then wait for another good day 2 work and then wait for rain and check. Lol it sucks.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear hatch water leak repair update warning 56k (94excpe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94excpe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey man I was just about to post and see if anyone had a problem like mine. only the paint around it is still in great condition and don't see how it could enter. I'm guessing its the channel gasket that runs along the whole roof of the car. I have no idea anymore. The hard part for me is that if I use a hose or anything else and keep putting water around the area, no water comes in. Its only when it rains. So its like I need a good warm day 2 do some work and then wait for rain and check. And then wait for another good day 2 work and then wait for rain and check. Lol it sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The paint around mine looked good also it was only after I started to remove the hinge that the fact it was leaking was shown. It takes a little work and you will need to replace the gasket between the hinge and the body make sure that you get a tube of seam sealer from an auto parts store. Good luck oh by the way unless it is really cold out like below freezing the cracks in the seam sealer in the water channel could not be seen. My 2 cents are to remove the hinges and repair the sealing surface like discribed and also clean up under the rain channel about 4" back and see how it goes GOOD LUCK all it takes is a little time

Last edited by instructor74; 04-29-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Well I lifted the roof trim and caulked the clips. Guess what?? Still leaking. Figures. Nothing ever goes my way. Look like I'm gonna replace the gasket where the hinge is. Thanks for the write up man. Its gonna help me out a lot. Did u buy the hinge gasket thru honda? Thanx