Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newb Sauce - Questions about Del Sol Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Sauce - Questions about Del Sol Restoration

Picked up nice looking Del Sol pretty cheap and really like it, interior is pretty trashed - don't know much about the car myself. The car needs some love. I want to turn it into a semi-comfortable daily driver / road trip car.

Done my best to pre-research all of this stuff but have still come up a little short.

Base Model (S?) 1993. D series engine with base transmission.

Here are my problems

The Seats:

The drivers side seat is warped. I have no idea how this came to be but the upper part of the seat is actually warped. I'm not even sure I want to know how it got that way. The Passenger seat is a little beat up too.

What are my best options for swap seats? I understand there are some seats where the rails can be swapped to make the seat work - GSR?
Right now a set of leather GSR seats is going for anywhere between 250 and 325 in my area. Is this a good deal?

Does anyone have any experience with non-traditional seat swaps? I'd go non-traditional if it meant I could pay less and get heated leather seats - say, old audio quattro? (be gentle I'm new at this).

Glove Box:

I have a 93 base model, no airbag. The glove box is missing. The only thing left is the metal bracket behind it... not sure if it even has anything to do with the glove box. Anyhow, any suggestions on finding a replacement? Is it interchangeable with anything else? Any suggestions as to what to do to nice it up if I can't find the box?

Kill Switches/Additional Security:

I live in a city where civics get stolen every day. My Del Sol is a base model with base security... probably isn't worth stealing but... I'm paranoid - any suggestions on the best ways to add some additional security? I'd like to make it a downright pain in the *** to steal without having to carry around one of those club locks. I was thinking kill switches to the fuel pump and to the clutch sensor. Would a clutch sensor kill switch even do me any good? I have no idea how people go about stealing cars so I'm not sure if any standard methods would just circumvent my clutch sensor.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Newb Sauce - Questions about Del Sol Restoration

tha metal bracket is for the console to bolt to, and since im in love with the Sols and sadly miss my old one i would put in del sol seats back in it, gsr seats are gonna sit higher and looks awkward, and trust me no matter how much of a pain it is to steal your car if they want it their taking it, and parts from honda for oem interior stuff can be hard to get and if you find them bran new they're not really cheap good luck with the sol, post pics and if this turns out to be another awesome build for a sol hell i might finally sell my ek and buy myself a sol
Old 04-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put GSR leather seats ($160) in my Sol and they DO sit a little higher but its not even bad, plus it looks sick with the black interior

and as far as I know there is NOT another glove box that you could put in, you'll have to find a stock one. Just post a WTB ad here on HT and you'll find in no time

...and as far as sercurity goes, I'd say just be as creative as possible and don't fvck anything up. Any pro is going to know where all the usual places for kill switches and alarms are
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i love my sol, its so much fun and still looks modern compared to a lot out there. i ended up picking up seats from a newer sol and put them in mine, this way they fit perfect and you dont have to screw around with the rails.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<- del sol fanatic.

The pre 94 model del sols did'nt have dual airbags so the glove boxes are all the same.(dual air bag cars had a heavy bigger style glove box). As far as the seats del sol seats are far more comfortable imo. Try to find some stock seats(that are not tweaked) or, there are a few companys still making replacement covers. Yeh warped seats are not the norm. First I have heard of this. Good luck and post some pics.