Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC Help... Please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC Help... Please...

Hello everyone,
Im new to the forums but I was wondering if I could get some POSITIVE feedback from yall. I have recently just purchased another civic.

Its a 2000 Civic EX. (D16, of course)

I was wondering what I could do to make it as fast as possible (keeping the SOHC) I have just ordered... header, exhaust, and a vtec controller. The car came with a very shitty/random short ram intake and I dont really know if I should replace it now or wait on it and get something else first. I am looking for the cheapest things I could get but also get the most horsepower/torque out of it.

If I do replace my intake, should I go with Injen or AEM? and if I go with AEM does it matter if it is a v2 short ram intake? Information like this would help a lot.

If yall dont mind please leave yalls opinions and give me names on brands and stuff. It would be much appreciated

-Thanks
Chris
Old 04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SOHC Help... Please...

no point in wasting lots of money on a name brand intake. they all do the same thing. keep the no name short ram, replace the crappy filter with a k&n version, and call it a day. and i hate to tell you but the vtec controller is pointless. unless you are running different cams that make power elsewhere there is no need to raise or lower the engagement point. you will only lose power if you do.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try searching, there is 10 years worth of threads on this topic!

On subject, AEM and Injen are a waste of money. I/H/E - you will be lucky to get 10 hp out of all 3.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i love when this question gets asked. do ur research man. its pretty pointless to put that stuff on cuz it wont get u anywhere. just leave it stock, save up ur money, and do a b series swap.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Swap or boost.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost + Tune = Supposely D series satisfied. Its not entirely cheap but not expensive either
Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did a y7/y8 mini me with rc 440s...with ihi rhb5 at 7lbs of boost...8mm greddy headgasket and stock internals...tuned with hondata at churchs tuning..176whp and 163t...cost about 1500 altogether
Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there are no bolt-ons that will give you significant gains in a D series.......AND building a N/A D series is a bit like swimming upstream............it can be done and you can get there but its gonna take ALOT of energy(money) to do it.

if you are truly looking for significant power gains on a D on a reasonable budget........boost it. AND my personal opinion is that if you have to ask what you need to do on a D series, then you dont have the knowledge to attempt a turbo build. there are lots of ppl that boost engines and know almost nothing about it........there are also alot of ppl who boost engines and it turns into a pile of scrap metal within 6 months.

if it were me, i would get a set of forged rods and pistons, hone the block, new rings, and piece together a turbo kit using good quality parts, and then have it TUNED.....with a boost setup the TUNE is just as important as the assembly and using quality parts.

if you dont want to get that deep into it then id say I/H/E, IM, TB, cam, and tune that.....you wont pick up a whole lot of power, but it will be noticable.

hope this helps
Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newtron63h

if it were me, i would get a set of forged rods and pistons, hone the block, new rings, and piece together a turbo kit using good quality parts, and then have it TUNED.....with a boost setup the TUNE is just as important as the assembly and using quality parts.

if you dont want to get that deep into it then id say I/H/E, IM, TB, cam, and tune that.....you wont pick up a whole lot of power, but it will be noticable.

hope this helps
Those are pretty much your two best options... but i'd say boost it all day
bolt on's wont help your d series much