Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best ways to patch up a Sol seat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ways to patch up a Sol seat?

I just picked up some pretty nice del Sol seats but the only thing that bothers me is the rip where you get in on the drivers side. It's up and down a couple inches and a little bit of foam is missing, but not enough to really matter I don't think, since it just makes a crevice.

So I would like to know how everyone patches their seats. Can you just pull the fabric tight and try to sew it back together, or will that stretch the fabric too much?

Post some pictures of your patched seats so I can get an idea. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum but it's semi-technical so I think it is.

Here is the rip.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Best ways to patch up a Sol seat? (Nickboxer7)

If anyone has ever patched these let me know how you did it.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think when you take it to get professionally done, they take extra fabric from underneath where it can't be seen and sew it up that way.

Let me know how you do it, I'm curious as well because a friend of mine but a burn hole in my seat
Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Best ways to patch up a Sol seat? (andoxviii)

theres always leather wrapped seats.

im sure theres kits out there
Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything where you're trying to patch or sew that one area will be rather noticeable and not satisfactory is you're particular about the appearance. Your only option for a truly like-new repair would be to have both seats recovered entirely.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have pretty much that exact same hole and would also like to know if anyone has anything else to contribute.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Best ways to patch up a Sol seat? (Padawan)

I'm thinking about doing both, but i want to use it in the meantime and not tear it up
Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sew in some side-bolster fabric reinforcement on all the sides. Could be cool, and preventative of damages that the side bolsters are so prone to, while also retaining the original fabric. If that's too much work, then get them totally recovered. There's no point to just having a botched patch job.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Best ways to patch up a Sol seat? (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sew in some side-bolster fabric reinforcement on all the sides. Could be cool, and preventative of damages that the side bolsters are so prone to, while also retaining the original fabric. If that's too much work, then get them totally recovered. There's no point to just having a botched patch job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you show me what you are talking about or where I can get some?

Are you talking about when there is like a black vinyl patch on each outside edge so that you can't tear it up?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nickboxer7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you show me what you are talking about or where I can get some?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would venture a guess that that little DIY is up to you to try from scratch, if you have more time than money.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nickboxer7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Are you talking about when there is like a black vinyl patch on each outside edge so that you can't tear it up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. It doesn't have to be vinyl or anything, it could just be a more durable fabric. It might aesthetically be worth a try before you go spending a fistful of cash to get them reupholstered properly.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 AM

What color of fabric should I sew in. Black. I can't visualize stuff at all lol.

And I can more than likely have them upholstered pretty cheap, b/c my brother's friend has a sister that upholsters things. She did his dash and pillar in an old car for twenty bucks! If she has some fabric lying around that I like it should be cheap.

Only problem is IDK how long it will take her and when I will even be able to get ahold of her.

ALSO, if I put the side bolster things on, I'll try to do a little write up for ya, but only if it turns out ok. LOL, I've never sewed really, so I will have to figure out how to do it to look nice.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

meh, black, light grey, a modest blue even to go with the Sol stripe on your seats could go well.

Yeah, wouldn't mind a write up if they turn out okay. Just remember, for better quality/durability, I would think to patch both sides of the fabric and sandwich it between the bolster reinforcement.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 AM

The middle strip is actually grey, but I know what you are saying. I'll head to walmart or something and try to find some fabric.

I'm not too sure what you mean by patching both sides? Are you saying to sew up a patch first with the seat, then put the fabric for the bolster over that once they are patched up?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol, oops. I guess the color balance made it look like a faded blue, sorry.

What I mean by patching both sides is you make two identical patches for one spot. Sew one underneath the original fabric of the seat, then put the other in it's exact position, on the other side of the original fabric, so the original fabric on the side bolster is sandwiched between the patches.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 AM

That sounds like a good idea. But what if I wanted a bigger patched area on the outside b/c I can't fit a whole lot underneath. And I'm going to try to do it while it's on the seat. I don't want to mess with taking it off and trying to get it to go back how it was.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, well do it how you think it should be done. If it turns out good, do a writeup. If not, just pm me about how bad **** got fucked up, and just go get them reupholstered.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM

Will do. Expect a PM coming your way haha. I don't know when I'll get to it but hopefully soon

Thanks for all the advice VTi
Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No prob, it all works out to me, but only in theory, lol. Good luck with your seats, later