Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to: Depin 2 wire CKF to 3 wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default How to: Depin 2 wire CKF to 3 wire

This how to is dual purpose. One purpose is general on how to depin the male side of pretty much any Honda/Acura connector plug when swapping wiring around on various sensors (distributor, CKF, IAT, etc). Two is to show you how to swap over CKF connectors on 96-00 SOHC engines to the two wire styles used on OBD2 USDM B/H series engines so it'll plug into your factory harness. Tools you'll need are your hands, pliers (needle nose) and a small screw driver.

You see that the D series connector is 3 wire. I believe one is power, one is signal and one is ground. On the B series it is 2 wire. One is signal and one is power, and supposedly it is internally grounded. The plug connectors may differ in color but this is what they look like. Also the pin locations of the colored wires may differ but the colors should always match (blue on blue, white on white, etc) when swapping. The 3rd brown wire on the SOHC harness side won't be used so don't worry about it.

Start by removing the white center piece of the B series CKF connector with your pliers.

Next take your small screw driver and push up on the connector pin, while pulling out the wire at the same time on the backside of the plug. It should pull right out. Do this with the other wire as well.

Now take your 3 wire connector from your D series engine and do the same process with the white inner piece and 3 wires.

Here is with all 3 removed.

Now color matching pin location on the 3 wire connector on the D series engine harness side and the CKF wiring from the B series place the wires in the appropriate location. Don't worry they'll only go in one way. Then place the white piece back in.

Now you're done. May sure the white on the CKF side matches the white on the engine harness side and blue with blue. You're good to go.

Last edited by HondaPartsHero; 12-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to: Depin 2 wire CKF to 3 wire

Great write up. should be stickied
Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a question in regards to the blue/red and white/red wire.

The blue/red wire is supposed to detect the CKF sensor (with engine running pulses) and the white/red wire is supposed to be the ground for the CKF sensor through the ECU (internally i believe as you suggested).

So with the vehicle running which wire is supposed to be supplying power?
I am currently trying to diagnose a car with P1337 error that had the wires to this sensor chewed in the alternator belt, which i rewired.

If I run a test light from each of these wires coming from the ECU to the negative battery post (or ground), neither of them demonstrate a power feed (light does not come on). Does this mean that there is a potential short in either the line from the ECM/PCM or between the ECM/PCM and this output connection that I am testing from.

I believe this sensor is a hall effect sensor from the data that I gathered (i think). Could it produce it's own voltage from the magnetic interactions and therefore send back a signal that way, and not actually have an input voltage?

Thanks for any feedback
Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so correct me if i'm wrong here, but i thought that (at least for the most part) Honda CKF's were all Permanent Magnet style sensors... anybody else mind shedding some light? just cause i would like to clear this up for myself and probably some others too.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation (CKF) Sensor is used by the PCM to monitor crankshaft speed fluctuation. The diagnostic system is composed of a pulser rotor mounted on the crankshaft, and a pulse pick-up sensor on the engine block. The PCM monitors the crankshaft speed fluctuations based on the CKF signal and determines if an engine misfire has occurred if the crankshaft speed fluctuates beyond a predetermined limit.

Last edited by HondaPartsHero; 12-28-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so hold on here, is this so you can use the stock d-series sensor with a b series? cause the plugs are different for the sensors...
Old 01-02-2014, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cause i was just going to take the b18 harness and take the connector and swap the wires into it.