Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

catalyitic converter law ca 09

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalyitic converter law ca 09

Hey guys I dont know if this is in the right spot or should be in the tech forum but here go's. Does anyone have any idea how this new carb # bs works for ca on the catalytic converters. I am trying to smog my car: 92 hatch ref'd gsr swap, skunk2 manifold,type r tb, gsr ecu, type r headers 2.5 highflow cat & 2.5 piping. my car fails at test only but the only thing i have to change is the cat. all sensors and O2 has been changed. motor has 3k miles on rebuild. i know too much info but someone is going to ask what i have done to my car for it not to pass.

the muffler shop told me that they cant sell me a high flow obd1 or oem style obdII type r cat and that they have to sell me a cat for my car with a carb#. the guy couldnt tell me which cat to use because i have a motor swap that is refd and its no longer stock. he referred me to the referee for questions. i dont go to ref unless i have too. asking for trouble. lol. I am at a loss and have been searching online for places to sell me a 2.5 cat. most places online wont ship to cali. jegs, summit, ebay shops back east and even some honda sites.wtf. when i looked online about the change this is what i found but i needed to find out from people if they have had any issues with this since the beginning of the year. that way most of this jibberish makes sense or hopefully we have smog techs on here that can shed some light cuz this might cause some issues later in the year. or maybe the people are idiots in sacramento.

online info found.
The Run Down: What this means is that all catalytic converters used for vehicles that are California OBD 1 (vehicles mostly made before 1996) and OBD 2 will have to use catalytic converters that have a stamp, on the converter, from the ARB(Air Resources Board) to pass smog in California. The smog stations are already set-up to run the number on the catalytic converter through their computers when you come in. If you have a number that is not specific to your vehicle, you will not pass smog.

New Aftermarket Catalytic Converters
As of January 1st, 2009, What You Can and What You Cannot Sell/Required:

(A) The vehicle is specifically included in the vehicle application list for which the new aftermarket catalytic converter has been exempted;

(B) The vehicle is more than 7 years old or has more than 70,000 miles on its odometer;

(C) The vehicle is beyond the coverage of the OEM catalyst warranty period (which can vary from 7 years or 70,000 miles to as high as 15 years or 150,000 miles).2 Installers may reference the vehicle owner’s manual/warranty booklet or contact the vehicle manufacturer or its representative to verify the applicable OEM catalyst warranty;

(D) The vehicle has a legitimate need for replacement of the existing converter that has been established and documented by the installer on the repair invoice. If the OEM converter is present, the installer must make a determination that it is not functioning properly before acting to replace it;

(E) The exempted new aftermarket catalytic converter is installed in the same location as the OEM catalytic converter it is designed to replace. The front face of the installed catalytic converter shall be no more than three inches further upstream or downstream in the exhaust from where the front face of the OEM catalytic converter was located. The installation may not alter the location, position, or orientation of oxygen sensors upstream and downstream of the catalytic converter(s);

(F) The exempted new aftermarket catalytic converter is installed on a one-for one catalytic converter (not substrate) basis;

(G) The exempted new aftermarket catalytic converter is installed with all other required catalytic converters (no consolidation of catalytic converters, nor addition of extra catalytic converters is allowed); and

(H) A warranty card has been filled out by the installer, signed by the customer, attached to the repair invoice, and a copy returned to the manufacturer.

(I) Installers shall keep documentation regarding the installation of the new aftermarket catalytic converters including all of the above information. This documentation shall be made available to ARB or its representative as provided for in title 13, section 2222(b)(8). All such records shall be maintained for four years from the date of sale or installation of the catalytic converter.