Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car grinds in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car grinds in gear?

aight honda tech need you guys to help me with this one the car goes into gear when cars off when in gear some times buh not really it dont let me go into gear now when i shut the car off and put it into gear it starts to move whether its in neutral or 1st gear and it starts to grind in gear so i dunno never ran into this problem could it be that the clutch blew up inside the tranny? i mean i dunno what it is sounds like when in gear while it grinds is the flywheel still spinning with the clutch held in
Old 04-05-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: car grinds in gear? (SkIp_Civic_Ek6)

if im understanding this right it sounds like 2 things to me. If you can still drive then your syncros are gone which holds you in gear. Or it is when you down shift to slow down and it grinds really loud its your main shaft bearing in your tranny.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: car grinds in gear? (T Rick)

no its when i do start up the car in gear already it makes a grinding noise and the car still rolls while the clutch pedal is in to so i mean then iono what it could be since that the clutch is held in and if its held in shouldnt the car be still and not move well in my case with the pedal down it still moves and engages and makes grinding noises with it
Old 04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you need to do a better job explaining your problem. And your run-on sentences are giving me a headache.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: car grinds in gear? (maynards_ek)

okay now this is my problem finding out if its the tranny or if the clutch maybe blew up inside the tranny okay now when the car is running it wont let me go into gear at all now when i shut off the car it goes into gear fine so what i did was turn off the car and put it into gear and then start it back up and say i put it into 1st gear while i hold the clutch pedal in the car would roll like the clutch engages while it starts making grinding noises and the tranny fluid is full and the resevoir is full of fluid now the car does move buh makes noise
Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 PM

clutch is one problem and if it grinding then you have tranny issues also
Old 04-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car is moving when the clutch pedal is depressed, you've got a problem with your clutch. Could be as simple as having a hydraulic clutch with no fluid in the system - check your fluid level, add fluid if it's low, pump the ever-living crap out of the clutch pedal, check the level again, add more if it dropped, pump more, etc. If it never stops dropping, check to see if you've got a puddle of fluid under the car - you could have a leak.

As for the car moving with the transmissionin neutral - that probably points to something also being wrong in the transmission. When you pull it out of gear, can you freely move it from far left to far right, or is it still stiff (like it was still in gear)? Seems to me that a problem with the shift linkage could stop you from shifting it into neutral, but I'm no trans expert- it might just only point to a transmission problem.