Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

air pocket in cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air pocket in cooling system

ive had a bad overheating prob lately and figure it is an air pocket. when i get the car overheating and pull the rad cap off then pump the rad hoses it burps the rad and temp will drop down temperarily and will go back up after a minute of running.wondering the best way of getting rid of the air pocket bc the burping isnt working to solve the problem other than for a few minutes. ive drained all the coolant out and refilled the system but not working. might be a easy fix but just dnt know how to do it. help me out thanks.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: air pocket in cooling system

There's a bleeder screw on the thermostat.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i'm going to give you bad news.

as a honda technicien, if the rad seems the be always burping, from my experience the problem is most likely the head gasket
Old 03-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it only burps when i pump the hose.cant find the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing.already checked that out. dk if it would be in a diff spot it is a 99 si.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and already ran a compression test and it is perfect and the oil is fine, not milky looking.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okayy first of all, what type of engine do you have? On the d16z6 it's not thermostat housing just follow the top radiator hose and bam. If you don't know how to bleed it just shoot me a PM bro, since some ppl on here are so blunt.. lol, and I will tell you how to do it, its simple. But, don't count on that fixing the problem.. I mean it could, but something else might be wrong instead of some air pocket.. try it tho dude, see if it works =]
Old 03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not saying the head gasket is blown, but it sounds like its leaking. a quik test is to run the engine for 5 min or untill the rad fan comes on with the rad cap off, if you need to, hold the rpms at arround 3000 (if your holding the rpms at 3000 only do so for max 2 min), then turn the car off for 1 min (this will allow all the engine components to expand), then still with the rad cap off have a friend start the car while you look in the rad, *if you see a stream of bubbles your head gasket is leaking

check it out, i'm not saying this is 100% the problem but i'v had a few cars with this problem and so far this easy little test has been 100% right

good luck
Old 03-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_do_you
i think i'm going to give you bad news.

as a honda technicien, if the rad seems the be always burping, from my experience the problem is most likely the head gasket
You definitely do sound like a Honda technician because you're over diagnosing his problem. He said he filled his radiator and his car is over heating. He then said he emptied his radiator, filled it again and his car is over heating.

Logic would tell me that since he didn't say he attempted to bleed the air pockets out of his radiator after filling it in which an air pocket in the radiator would exist.

Assuming you are a technician. I surely do hope you don't jump to such conclusions on a daily basis.

As far as your head gasket test goes. That is also pretty ridiculous. It's already a known fact that he has air in his radiator. If he takes his radiator cap off and runs the car that air will be bled out the top of the radiator.

So now instead of something as simple as bleeding your coolant system, you've convinced the OP that his head gasket is blown. Corrupt auto mechanics such as yourself are no better than the Dan Whites in the world.

OP, start small and then work big. Bleed your coolant system first, make sure your thermostat isn't stuck and then work your way to bigger **** like head gaskets.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive already replaced thermostat and pulled the waterpump off and everything was good with it such as bearings and fins and its not leaking.think i got the air pocket when i replaced thermostat.have noticed that heater hoses are both cold when i get the car hot and dnt have heat.but if heater core was clogged hose going in would be hot and exit hose would be cold.everyone says bleeder valve is on thermo housing but me and a couple other ppl have looked and cant find it anywhere.even had housing off and its not on there. just think its an air pocket bc when i squeeze the hose repeatedly when car is hot temp drops to normal for a few min then goes back up.left rad cap off for bout 20 mins to get the air out and still does it. also coolant isnt circulating through rad. when cap is off and i hold the throttle down.as far as little bubbles never noticed that.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o and have also flushed the rad. pretty much done everything except for heater core.but while im at it might as well try that test. thanks for the help so far. anymore ideas?? and also the motor is a b16a2 if someone may know where the bleeder valve is. i know how to bleed it just dk where it is lol,also looked where the top rad hose goes on the motor and couldnt find it there either.dk if i just wasnt looking hard enough but never saw it
Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 AM
S_F
Honda-Tech Member

The bleeder isn't on the thermostat housing. It's on the engine where it meets with the upper radiator hose. Turn the radiator cap 1/2 way off and open the bleeder with the heat slider turned all the way up and the car running. put a pan under the engine to collect spilled coolant. hang out with it until no more bubbles come out the bleeder. It's a simple process but can take a little time.

EDIT:

well what do ya know. I simply asked Google and got pages upon pages of pictures of it.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2

One of the first pictures points back to honda-tech of all places!
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...68&postcount=3
Old 06-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Trial User

Im having a cooling issue myself wondering if anyone can give me a little help im doing my first motor swap on my own ive put a b20 into my 97 integra the problem i am having is iive notice my rad hoses arent full of coolant sometimes the top hose has some in it but i dont feel it in the bottom hose and it takes a while for that hose to get hot i replaced the thermostat i dont have any leaks checked my oil and its not milky my temp gauge doesnt say im over heating the lack of presure and the feeling of nowater in the hoses worries me even tho it says im not over heating any bit of help is greatly apreciated
Old 06-07-2016, 04:39 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...Have you tried burping the coolant system properly? Front end pointed uphill, heater on full, rad cap off and adding coolant every once in a while when you get a bubble, until you don't get bubbles anymore?
Old 06-07-2016, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97b20teg
Im having a cooling issue myself wondering if anyone can give me a little help im doing my first motor swap on my own ive put a b20 into my 97 integra the problem i am having is iive notice my rad hoses arent full of coolant sometimes the top hose has some in it but i dont feel it in the bottom hose and it takes a while for that hose to get hot i replaced the thermostat i dont have any leaks checked my oil and its not milky my temp gauge doesnt say im over heating the lack of presure and the feeling of nowater in the hoses worries me even tho it says im not over heating any bit of help is greatly apreciated
have you tried not bumping a 6 year old thread? if you've already tried everything mentioned in this thread then i would suggest starting a new thread of your own for your specific issue
Old 06-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Dear Newbie:

Create your own thread in the Integra or Hybrid forum.

Voice of the forum