Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

air bag light off

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 air bag light off

i took my air bags out of me eg and i was wondering how do you get the air bag light off?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: air bag light off

Well besides the fact its pretty much illegal in all states to remove the air bags. Now lets just say this is a track car. You can remove the srs light bulb would be the simplest way of doing this because removing the srs fuse will make the car not want to start any more.

To remove the srs bulb you have to pull out the guage cluster if you don't know how then stop and sell your civic. once out remove the cover, then remove the 3 screws that hold the speedo part on. Then the srs part were the clip goes in to is right there. unclip that and pop it out, remove the light bulb. Reinstall everything and your good to go.

Only other way is to run air bags. Or ground it out so it tricks it to think that the air bags are still in the car. I know neither of these ways Just how to replace the bulb and remove it for track cars.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude... seriously? It's not illegal or even remotely kind of illegal. It's the SRS system Supplement Restraint System. Now, study the first word and learn it. Now go get the definition. It is in addition to seat belts which ARE required by law. SRS is not even required for inspections. That's why you're allowed to turn them off in cars that are so equiped but you are never allowed to drive without a seatbelt.

Now that hopefully he's learned something, the only way to eliminate the light is to remove the bulb or re-install the air bags. There is no way to "ground out" the light. The only possibility would be to use resistors and diodes to fool the srs brain in to thinking everything is wired up still. I removed everything including the contol unit mounted to the floor behind the center console on my cx. I just ignore the srs light.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait ready for it? Your giving false info it is illegal you have to write a letter to the government and ask them if you can remove your air bags. If you don't belive me look here for your self:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/adap...e_ask_Ques.htm

haha your Owned. Stupid noobs go back to your hiding places.

And just a lil iceing on the cake

https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/once-all-air-bag-removal-illegal-1662108/
Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And also I just feel like being a *** now that you gave false info:
yes it is illegal,any vehicle built with an air bag installed must have it for use on road fines start at 1000.00 and can include jail time for violating
Under 49 U.S.C. 30103, whenever a Federal motor vehicle safety standard is in effect, a State may not adopt or maintain a safety standard applicable to the same aspect of performance which is not identical to the Federal standard, except to the extent that the state requirement imposes a higher level of performance and applies only to vehicles procured for the State’s use. 49 U.S.C. 30161 sets forth a procedure for judicial review of final rules establishing, amending or revoking Federal motor vehicle safety standards.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks guys ill just remove the light bulb
Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4gen5thtime
Wait ready for it? Your giving false info it is illegal you have to write a letter to the government and ask them if you can remove your air bags. If you don't belive me look here for your self:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/adap...e_ask_Ques.htm

haha your Owned. Stupid noobs go back to your hiding places.

And just a lil iceing on the cake

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662108
Just for you since you're that special kind of stupid that seems to be running all to rampant these days:

"The make inoperative prohibition (and so the exemptions) do not apply to individuals modifying their own vehicles, as long as they do not intend to make the changes for the purpose of resale. If you are making a modification to your own vehicle, Federal law does not apply, so you can do whatever you want (subject to any restrictions your state may impose). However, NHTSA urges individuals making such modifications to avoid unnecessary elimination of safety features."

Straight from your own government link. Learn the laws thoroughly or keep your mouth shut. You're providing no one a service by stating inaccurate information.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Weird, your just a asshat like most on honda-tech. You blew up on me. I was stating in oregon and alot of states it is illegal and salvages a title. Wtf is that bull **** you have a clean title eg/ek and pull a airbag now when you sell it and they take it in for retitle its slavaged. Thanks to dip ***** like you. F U CKing idiot. It says that it is illegal to remove safety euquipment from your vechical.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now read this line very slowly you dumb ****" (subject to any restrictions your state may impose). "
Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, and in NC it is not illegal nor is it required to pass state inspection. If I sell my car I must fully disclose that the SRS system is removed or I can reinstall it. I've never had a car I bought or sold after removing the SRS system receive a salvage title. You're still talking out your ***.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For selective reading, to try and make your argument seem valid. You know, because that page says you can modify your vehicle any way you want without a problem. And it says nothing about getting permission, in the section that specifically talks about removing an air bag, right? It doesn't matter if your state lets you get away with it, it's still illegal. And tell me 1 car that comes from the factory with an air bag on/off switch for the DRIVER'S side.